Sennheiser CX 300 IEM (a personal review)
Mar 18, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #496 of 554
Honestly, I'm a big fan of these IEM's. For the first couple days they sounded like crap, then I think they burned in and the sound evened out a lot. I had it on the "Vocal" eq preset on my DAP for awhile but now I don't even bother with that. They sound great - maybe not entirely "realistic", like sometime's a bit plasticky but they're great for a lot of different kinds of music and really excel with electronic/rap. I've got some ATH-SJ5's coming to (possibly) replace them but I may keep both!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #497 of 554
Thanks to both of you; I am going to pick up a pair of the cx300s on Monday. Oh, and M2 why don't you try trisecting the hypotenuse in your avatar? How many opportunities does one have to use hypotenuse in one's posts?

Mar 18, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #498 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by blehmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to bump this thread but I am wondering if anyone has compared the cx300 to the moda vibes. Anyone out there

I can compare, I bought the CX300's a few weeks before I changed to the vibes... I initially liked the sounds of the cx300's and it was decent but I noticed when I had better recordings, there was a lot of distortion and it really bugged me so I started doing more research and picked up a pair of the vibes. It's like buying a honda civic and then upgrading to an evo or STi. Economically, the civic is a good buy but for that extra umph, you upgrade to an evo or sti; same thing with the cx300's and going to the vibes.

Mar 28, 2007 at 7:55 AM Post #500 of 554
Quasi-rebump. I bought the cx300s and not the vibes for uninteresting reasons and I must say that the cx300s have proven to be wonderful! Unless there is something way wrong with my ears, the cx300s smoke the superfi5 pros. It is not that the superfi's are bad, it is just that the soundstage -- again more properly the headstage -- of the cx300's blow the superfis out of the water. Three random examples: the response speed and clarity of the cx300s is amazing on the jazz guitars on De Meola/McLaughlin, Friday Night in San Francisco; the mournful opening of the Elgar Cello Concerto by Jacqueline Dupre; and all of the Jimi Hendrix I have played in the last week. I could go on.

This leads me to another question. There is still a gap in my earphone collection. The cx300s isolate reasonably well and I need a set of earbuds that do not isolate. The Senn px100s and koss ksc75's are too open, too noisy, and too uncomfortable. What is the current consensus on the best earbuds with soundstage that do not isolate? This is one of those questions that has been asked and answered at different times in these threads. I am pretty sure of the list that will be posted but I am not sure about how they will be ranked with respect to isolation and headstage. Please help!

Mar 28, 2007 at 8:31 AM Post #501 of 554
I like the Sennheiser MSX400/500 for non isolating buds. Some dislike the lack of bass but I like it. SQ isn't anything like the CX300's but I them use for more casual listening, in the office etc or commuting when you need some situational awareness etc.

Mar 28, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #502 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by blehmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the current consensus on the best earbuds with soundstage that do not isolate? This is one of those questions that has been asked and answered at different times in these threads. I am pretty sure of the list that will be posted but I am not sure about how they will be ranked with respect to isolation and headstage. Please help!

If I were going to buy a non-isolating earbud right now, I would probably buy the Yuin PK1 or PK2. I haven't heard them but there has been a lot of very interesting buzz here recently. Do a search... people seem to think they're in the KSC-75 class at least, which is saying a lot for a bud.

Mar 30, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #507 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenclaws /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're in all the correct intricate packaging, would bootleggers go to all that trouble?

they might - that might be the least of the effort to make knock-offs. it also might be the area where the put the most effort into as it's what you see first. if that was poorly done only someone who didn't know what it was supposed to look like would touch them. is this from a vendor or just a private party? are yours new or used, and can you return them if there are issues? oh, and good luck!

Mar 30, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #508 of 554
DSC01689.jpg

DSC01690.jpg

DSC01691.jpg

DSC01692.jpg

DSC01693.jpg

Dunno if that helps identify them as fake or real. A vendor, but through Marketplace. I only need them for monitoring a clicktrack while recording anyway. They sound good on devices with no hard-drive, but on my Sony HD5 they hiss a bit like a tape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back