Sennheiser CX 300 IEM (a personal review)
Feb 10, 2006 at 6:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 554

Visigodo

100+ Head-Fier
As promised, here's my review:

Well, Sennheiser just released this week the very much awaited CX-300 IEM, and was able to buy one from the J&R store in Lower Manhattan.

I've been using the Sony Ex71 with my iPod for a couple of years now, and definitely was looking forward to a new IEM with a deeper, more accurate sound. I was considering some other brands (Shure, Ultimate Ears), but decided to wait for the release of the Senn model, both guided by curiosity and my positive experiences with the brand in the past.

Before I move on to describing my CX-300 first impressions, allow me to explain what I liked and didn't like about the Sony Fontopia Ex71 IEM after using them almost daily for a couple of years:
I bought the EX71 right after I purchased my G4 iPod. I was really disappointed with the sound quality of the iPod with the original earbuds, and bought the Sony Fontopia literally within days! The Sony IEM were a huge improvement to the Apple earbuds, and provided a fuller sound experience. At the same time they provided some great isolation from noise during my subway commutes in NYC... but I found that the EX71 could use some help in the bass area, and the highs were too sibilant (sometimes too uncomfortably sibilant when playing some songs). Also, I found the cable to be more uncomfortable than other earbuds I owned before, but I'll get to that later.

In this review I will comparing my new purchase to my existing set of IEMs by Sony.

Enter the Sennheiser CX 300:

senn_cx300_01.jpg

It set me back a bit less than $60 (NY taxes included). The product seems definitely aimed at the iPod market, and advertises in the very package that it is for MP3 usage (quite lame, allow me to roll my eyes a bit).
rolleyes.gif

Marketing copy aside, the package just contains the IEM and three different sizes of earphone sleeves (small, medium and large), made of a soft rubber. Funny enough, these sleeves are exactly the same size as the ones used by the Sony EX71. You can actually exchange them; they fit perfectly from one brand to the other.

senn_cx300_02.jpg

They don't include any bag, carrying case or anything else. Just the earphones and three different sizes of rubber sleeves.

One thing that you notice right away is how light these IEM earphones are. Extremely lightweight; the EX71 seem heavy in comparison. They fit very snuggly in the ear canal and block all external sounds very effectively (both the Senn and Sony models do this task quite well). The cable in the Senn model is considerably thinner and lighter, which makes it more manageable and comfortable.

Another thing to notice is that (just like the Sony model), the Senn CX-300 uses a "J" design cable instead of a "Y" design: one of the two ends of the earphones (the Right one) is twice as long. This asymmetrical cable design is apparently more ergonomic and easier for portable devices.

I personally hated the asymmetrical "J" design in the cables of the Sony EX71. It made the earphones sometimes uncomfortable, cumbersome, very likely to get caught with the clothes or any objects nearby. But comparing both models I noticed that those negative qualities are not present in the CX 300, even though they use the same "J" design. Why? Very easy: the weight of the cable!

Yes, seems like something very simple, but it makes one HUGE difference. The cable on the Senn is extremely light, easy to wear. The cable on the Sony Ex71 is heavy in comparison, and pulls down the earphones, which is very uncomfortable. In addition, the Ex71 has a connector with a cable extension, which in turn makes it heavier, and pulls down your ears a bit more. I actually did use a cellphone clip to pin the cable of the EX71 to my clothes, since I found the weight pull a bit unpleasant.

Also, all IEMs tend to create a peculiar "phonendoscope effect." Since they isolate all external sounds, every movement of your body or the cables makes a somewhat uncomfortable low rumble. It takes a while to get used to it. Anyway, since the cable is lighter in the CX-300, there's less friction, less rubbing of the cables, and therefore, less "phonendoscope effect" than with the EX71.

Sennheiser definitely got the ergonomics right on this one, and improved on the design previously advanced by Sony.

senn_cx300_03.jpg

Both are very similar in size, and as I mentioned, use the very same style of rubber sleeves. And I guess that's where the similarities end. Once I tested these two models side to side, the Sennheiser CX-300 blew away the Sony Ex71. By a long shot. Mind you, the Sony is not a bad product, and it certainly is better than many low-level IEM and earbuds in the market, but the Senn CX300 is a quite superior product, definitely more in league with the Shure E2c or the Ultimate Ears super.fi 3.

senn_cx300_04.jpg

Another thing that I noticed is that the drivers are protected differently in both models (see picture above). The Senn has added a little metal mesh, which, at least, looks tough.

Now, let's go for the sound. Let the testing begin!

senn_cx300_05.jpg

I used the G4 iPod, my new iAudio U2, the Sony EX71, and the PX100 (just for contrast), to test various songs and albums.

Among the test tunes, I chose Janine Jansen's "Vivaldi: The Seasons" for classical, Andrew Bird's "Sovay" and Rachel Goswell's "Plucked" for folk (and because they are exquisitely well produced and engineered), Radiohead "OK Computer," Sufjan Stevens "Illinoise" and the Beta Band for rock, and then a variety of different artists for electronic (including Autechre, Plaid, Quantazelle's "Braking," The Postal Service, Boards of Canada, Gorillaz, etc).

Let me put it this way: Just about every track and every song EXCELLED when using the CX-300. Remember the first time you tried the PX-100? Same thing (although they sound different, mind you. The CX-300 is an IEM that isolates external sounds, while the PX-100 is an "open model" that produces a more "open air" type of sound).

You notice a tremendous difference when, after listening to a track with the CX-300, then you play it again on the EX71. Seriously, it felt like going back to the iPod earbuds. While the CX-300 offered a dynamic, full, balanced, and vibrant sound with a great sense of space, the EX71 felt flat, pumped and muddy in the middles, sibilant on the highs. (Mind you: as I said earlier, the Sony EX71 are not so bad, and they certainly served me well, but in comparison to the Senn cx-300, there was just no contest as to which product was superior.)

The spatial sense is something that I noticed and enjoyed the most in the new CX 300. The EX71 tends to put all the middles in some virtual middle, center area (try to imagine the voice and all the middles in the center, right in front of you), the Senn CX300 seems to space all frequencies, and instruments virtually around the left-right panoramic. It makes the whole experience more enjoyable.
icon10.gif

Another thing that is noticeable, when plugging and unplugging the two IEM's, is that the CX300 sounds louder (just a notch louder) than the Sony. So careful with that volume control.

As for the music styles, I felt less difference in overall quality when playing rock music. Every other style sounded considerably better, fuller, and more defined when using the CX-300. In Janine Jansen's rendition of Vivaldi's Spring, you can tell each instrument, and sometimes hear the subtle breathing of some of the musicians in the orchestra. It blew me away!

One track that completely came alive for me was Rachel Goswell's "Plucked" (but I encoded my own copy in Apple Lossless). This very song has an interesting engineering element: the voice track was recorded in a cave, and uses the natural echo and reverb of the location in a very interesting way. The difference in detail and accuracy between the Sony and Senn models was abysmal (no pun intended). I discovered details and subtle reverbs I could not tell with the EX71.

For bassheads, the CX300 does it right, with well balanced low and middle bass frequencies (although for my taste, I would have to give the PX100 one extra notch in this category, as the natural, open-air bass thud of the PX-100 is still quite unique). Still, the CX-300 portrays bass quite accurately, even on the G4 iPod. As a matter of fact, I had to turn down the bass in the EQ of the iAudio U2 just to make a fair balance between the two players (iAudio offers killer bass and overall sound reproduction of compressed audio. One of these days I should review my iAudio U2 side-by-side with the iPod).

Electronic music is great for testing both bass and highs. The track "Braking" by Quantazelle was particularly useful in this comparison. When played through the EX71, the highs become strident, almost unbearable, very tough on the ears. When played through the CX300, the track became balanced, beautiful, with enjoyable highs and a cool bass line.

Other artists and track seemed to sound much better in my new IEM set. No contest. New instruments appeared where I thought there were none. New details surfaced where, in the past, I thought the sound was muddy.

OVERALL:

I'm quite impressed with the CX-300. It blows away the Sony EX71 in sound quality, portability, and comfort, and positions itself quite above its price range. As they said when the PX-100 came out, this is a bargain for the quality sound these earphones produce.

The CX300 reproduces very detailed and balanced audio, comparable in quality with more expensive IEMs like those manufactured by Shure. As I said earlier, definitely more in league with the Shure E2c or the Ultimate Ears super.fi 3.

This is a great addition to the Sennheiser family, indeed.

Two big thumbs up from me and a smiley face. My commute tomorrow will be a bit brighter!
etysmile.gif

Feb 10, 2006 at 9:47 AM Post #8 of 554
Do we know whether these are rebranded Sharps/Creatives (which are supposed to be pretty good)? Not that I would mind ... especially if they're easier to obtain in the U.S.

Interesting point about the cables being thinner than those on the Sony's. Hmmmm ... aren't the Sony cables a weak point for some users? I haven't had problems with my EX 71's and EX 51's, but they aren't used heavily. Still, I hope these Sennheisers use a cord coating that users are happy with.

Feb 10, 2006 at 11:24 AM Post #9 of 554
From your excellent review, i think you just describe the Creative EP630 as well. I think they're very similar, if not the same. Package contents are the same. Only difference are the cord style and Creative's straight plug.

Bass? Is it as strong as a EX71?

Feb 10, 2006 at 12:50 PM Post #10 of 554
Just ordered them, I was looking for a decent IEM without going to 100$ or a used one for a train trip to chicago next week. I am really not sure I will like to have this in my ear, it really seems to work for some people and not for others so .. will see !
Order Total: $46.94 shipped from amazon
etysmile.gif

Lionel

Feb 10, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #11 of 554
Great "mini" review, VG! You managed to pack a lot of relevant information into a short amount of space - well done.

I'm looking for a pair of inexpensive IEM's that don't provide too much isolation for my commute (Ety's are too much). I was planning on picking a pair of Panasonics, but you've piqued my curiosity for the Senns. Although they are a bit more expensive.

Thanks for the effort!

Feb 10, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #13 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gino
I can imagine that the CX300, being IEMs, will provide about the same isolation as Etys.

If they're anything like the Sony EX71's, they definitely won't (I've owned both).

Feb 10, 2006 at 3:52 PM Post #14 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gino
So what's the verdict on the cx300 vs px100?

That's a very difficult question to answer, since they both have a very distinct, and very peculiar sound, but still both sound Sennheiser. Am I making any sense? Allow me to explain:

The PX100 is an open-style headphone with pads; it produces an "open-air," an "airy" feeling to your music, as if it was coming from the air. It sounds great, but it doesn't isolate at all from the outside world.

The CX300 is an In-Ear Monitor, plugged inside your ear canal. It isolates almost all noise from the outside world, and produces very clean sound that seems to be coming from "inside your head" rather than from the outside. Also, if you move the cables, you get a "phonendoscope effect." All IEMs do this, some more than others. The Sony EX71 produces a lot of these two effects, because their cable is thicker and heavier, and because they don't pan the sound to well in the left-right spectrum. Most music played through the EX71 seems to be coming from the center, actually, from the middle of you head. It takes a while to get used to it. On the other hand, the Senn CX300 spaces out all instrumentation around you. The sound comes from around you, not so much from the center of the left-right spectrum. It is a much pleasant experience than the EX71.

So, I find it difficult to compare the PX100 and the CX300. They both produce excellent audio, with the signature quality of Sennheiser, but both do it in different ways.

If this is an indication, this is how I use them:

- I take my IEM earphones for commuting around NYC in the subway, since they isolate very well the nasty screeching sounds of the NY transit system. The CX300 are an excellent choice for commuting.

- I take my PX100 to the gym, because they feel more comfortable when working-out than any IEM (I don't' recommend anything stuck inside your ear canal when you are sweating profusely). For the gym, the PX100 are the best choice, and the pads clean up easily as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by afbug
Bass? Is it as strong as a EX71?

Yes, it is as strong, but better, more defined and cleaner. Both IEMs do bass well, but the CX300 adds a level of detail I can't find in the EX71. With the Senn model I can tell very well the high, middle, and low ends of the bass frequencies. Thuds and bangs are differentiated, and snares are clean.

The area where the CX300 blows the EX71 away is in the high frequencies. EX71 muddles a bit the middles, and the high frequencies can be a bit strident and sibilant (not a good effect when you have audio plugged inside your head). I'm yet to get any screeching highs in the CX300. Where the EX71 produces sibilance, the CX300 produces none of the sort. It's quite impressive to notice the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back