Sennheiser CX 300 IEM (a personal review)
Oct 7, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #406 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdFireArow
3106624535big.jpg

yup saw that already from the senn website. actually i was looking for their retail packaging. i dunno, theres something with boxes/packaging that intrigues me
biggrin.gif

but thanks for the pictures
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #407 of 554
Quote:

Back when I used my CX300s, I found that your average cell phone shirt clip (held in place on the cord with some small black hair elastics and clipped to my collar) made microphonics a non-issue.

Thanks for the bright idea! Will try and see. But I wonder it prevents occlusion.

Oct 8, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #408 of 554
Yes a cellphone clip will work extremely well. There is still some occlusion but very minimal that does not bother me.

Well here's my first impression when I got my CX-300 last week. I really am no audiophile but when I first tried it, I was not very impressed. The bass was there but the midrange sounded a tad muddy. It still sounds better than my Panasonic RP HV288R earbuds. However with tuning in the equalizer in my iriver, it now sounds excellent and does not sound nearly as good than without. I have burned it for over 50 hours and the bass is more solid but midtones I can't distinctively make out a difference in change. Compared to my friend's Sony Ericsson W810i earphones, I didn't hear any big differences at all except my cx-300 bass is heavier. Maybe my expectations were too high which made me feel a little disappointed now. None the less, I'm still happy with my purchase for $30.

Oct 8, 2006 at 2:35 PM Post #411 of 554
I have a set of these and have found the mids and highs to be lacking. Has anyone tried a "kramer mod" on these? If so how did it turn out?

Terry

Oct 9, 2006 at 7:33 AM Post #412 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjohnusa
I have a set of these and have found the mids and highs to be lacking. Has anyone tried a "kramer mod" on these? If so how did it turn out?

Has Kramer modded these? Or do you mean a 'kramer-like' mod?
I took the silver ring off but got no further.

The sibilance problem I have seems to be tamed by improving the fit/seal

Oct 21, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #414 of 554
Has anybody compared these CX 300 to Sonys new MDR-EX90 ?

I've previously been very satisfied with a pair of EX71, but reading this review (and one on the EX90) it feels like it's time to upgrade...

Just wondering whether to stick with Sony, or swap over.

Oct 22, 2006 at 12:44 PM Post #415 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by JorisS
Has anybody compared these CX 300 to Sonys new MDR-EX90 ?

I've previously been very satisfied with a pair of EX71, but reading this review (and one on the EX90) it feels like it's time to upgrade...

Just wondering whether to stick with Sony, or swap over.

I have owned all three (ex71, cx300, ex90). The one I use everyday is the EX90LP. The sound is not as bass bloated as the other two. There is still good bass but it is not overwhelming. The sound is clearer across the spectrum and it is very comfortable and very durable. I have been using them 24/7 since March.

I occasionally use my ex71/cx300 when I want more isolation (bedtime).

Oct 28, 2006 at 6:41 AM Post #417 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amateur
Had the cx300 for a couple of days now and I personally dont like them. I found them to have bloated and boomy bass much like the ex71 which i also own. They also seemed realy muffled (veiled) and i actually had to use treble booster on the ipod eq to hear the vocals. Im no expert but i have been following this forum for a while and own the e2c/er4p/sr60/ms1/hd-25-1/ex71/d66. But i really couldnt deal with how boomy they were! Luckily i got them via work and didnt pay full price!

I agree with you completely. The bass is overpowering, and even with the equalizer's treble turned way up and the bass way low, I can't get a balance. The most bothersome part for me is the "muffleness" you mentioned. There's a "veiled" type of muffleness prevailing over the sound and as a result the music doesn't sound clear. Nobody else has experienced this? I am using these on my Zen Micro Photo.

Oct 28, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #419 of 554
I kind of picked these up by accident to replace some cheap JVC "noise cancelling" headphones whose terrible sound was driving me crazy. They were a very pleasant surprise.

I concur with the concensus here: bass a tad boomy, but great sound for the price. I don't find any "veiling" or need to boost treble at all.

The microphonics are bad; I wanted to use them for exercising and it was pretty intolerable. I mod'd them by using cloth tape to tape the first couple inches of the cable after the ear units to a thin piece of relatively stiff wire bent into a shape that hangs on my ear. That way, I can route the wire up and over my ear. It helps the handling issues significantly.

Good isolation from the noise of the world.

The J-cable is horrible. It is asymmetric to the point of absurdity.

Now I'm thinking about getting a pair of Ultimate Ears, either the superfi 5 Pros or the superfi 3 studios. Would the 3's be an improvement over the cx300's?

-- Thing

Oct 29, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #420 of 554
If you take a look at the frequency response chart at headphone.com, you can see that the Senns do have a pronounced bump from 20 HZ ouy to about 500 Hz. Perhaps they felt they had to compete with the Sony 51s and 71s - after the target audience for these (non-audiophile iPod user) may usually equate "more bass" with "better".
frown.gif

But even as is they are a nice portable headphone for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back