Sennheiser CX 300 IEM (a personal review)
Feb 20, 2006 at 10:55 AM Post #136 of 554
I find the cord on my HJE50 annoying. Usually I prefer asymmetric cables but the one on the HJE50 seems to pull the left side out all the time. As for sound I find the HJE50's resonably detailed, decent bass but not for a basshead. But I find them tiring for any length of time. I find that with that rubbery cable I get a lot of microsonics. I do find them handy when I need some isolation, but I don't use them if I'm moving about. I don't have a problem with the fit of them in the ear, but it did take me a long time to get used to them.

Overall I much prefer my MX500's. They maybe less detailed and perhaps the bass is a bit too woolly, But I find them less fatiguing and more musical.

I do find I need more volume with the Mx500's, so thats a good point about the HJE50. I was kinda hoping the CX 300 might be better than the HJE50. I was even considering the HJE70's. But I'm undecided at the moment.

Feb 20, 2006 at 2:04 PM Post #137 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191
I find the cord on my HJE50 annoying. Usually I prefer asymmetric cables but the one on the HJE50 seems to pull the left side out all the time. As for sound I find the HJE50's resonably detailed, decent bass but not for a basshead. But I find them tiring for any length of time. I find that with that rubbery cable I get a lot of microsonics. I do find them handy when I need some isolation, but I don't use them if I'm moving about. I don't have a problem with the fit of them in the ear, but it did take me a long time to get used to them.

Overall I much prefer my MX500's. They maybe less detailed and perhaps the bass is a bit too woolly, But I find them less fatiguing and more musical.

I do find I need more volume with the Mx500's, so thats a good point about the HJE50. I was kinda hoping the CX 300 might be better than the HJE50. I was even considering the HJE70's. But I'm undecided at the moment.

The asymetrical cable on the HJE50 is badly designed. I usualy end up sitting for 30 seconds or so fidgiting with the cord trying to get it positioned right... However, I find it is worth it because they sound great to my ears, especialy with some moding.

Considering the CX300 has been comapred to the Super.Fi 3, I think its safe to assume they are several rungs above the HJE50.

Feb 20, 2006 at 3:46 PM Post #138 of 554
Are these IEMs prone to revealing background hiss on the headphone out of Sony portable players (MZ-RH10 / D-NE10, for example)?

As a reference, I have no problems with hiss with:

Sennheiser PX-100, Sony EX70, EX71, EX81

Thanks!

Paul

Feb 21, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #141 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by bubsdaddy
I am having trouble finding these on Amazon at the $39 price. I keep seeing $69 and $79. Anyone have a link to the lower price?

The lowest I can find right now is on J&R, for $59.99...

Feb 21, 2006 at 4:50 AM Post #142 of 554
Well i bought these after joining and seeing all the good comments. So far i think they sound great. I have a 20gb ipod photo hooked to them. I think they have more bass then i was expecting which is good. Im still trying to get used to the IEM part. Reminds me of the NIN concert when i tried to wear ear plugs and just couldnt get used to them. Glad i got them for 39.99 when i saw them.

Even at lower volume i can hear it great. Not sure i like the "J" design i have heard it called here.

What should i carry these in since they dont have a case? Altoids tin or something small like that?

Feb 21, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #143 of 554
So are these the same as the IE4 in terms of sound? Was this ever established?

I'll probably have to find this out on my own, I don't think many people have the IE4s.

I'm not sure I'm into the J style cord.

Feb 21, 2006 at 7:15 AM Post #144 of 554
i don't see why anyone would buy these because they cost almost as much as the ultimate ears superfi 3. Sry if that sounded mean but cmon, if it was for 40-45 dollars then that would be reasonable but 60 dollars?
can anyone compare these two iems?

Feb 21, 2006 at 8:37 AM Post #145 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetz7
i don't see why anyone would buy these because they cost almost as much as the ultimate ears superfi 3. Sry if that sounded mean but cmon, if it was for 40-45 dollars then that would be reasonable but 60 dollars?

In the UK, the Superfi 3 are THREE TIMES more expensive than the CX300!

Feb 21, 2006 at 9:56 AM Post #146 of 554
Quote:

You can get them off ebay for about $40-$45 shipped. I just looked, there's a Aussie vender on there selling them that cheap..

Feb 21, 2006 at 10:12 AM Post #147 of 554
Quote:

By that logic, why would anyone by the super.fi 3 when they can get the super.fi 5 for only two times as much?

Feb 21, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #148 of 554
Recieved mine Mon. evening and when I first put them in I was not happy with the sound. But after about 4 to 5 hours of listening the sound started to open up and a smile came to my face. I knew Sennheiser wouldn't let me down, without going into great detail IMO these sound better than E-2c's (better treble and just as dynamic and well balance). Not harsh IEM's, and they can compete with higher end models IMO...
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2006 at 11:44 PM Post #149 of 554
Damn it, I missed out. Just this morning around 5am local time nydiana's link was $39.99, but now it's $69.99. I'm calling shenanigans. If I'm not mistaken, Sennheiser's own PR stated MSRP was $49.99.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back