Sennheiser Credibility
Apr 24, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #16 of 20
  Sure, they made a big deal out of it in the video, but that doesn't mean it actually does anything in reality. The video is full of a lot of marketing and audiophile-grade nonsense.

Oh, I knew that of course.  Just thought their terms were funny to hear in that context.  Perhaps even mean to suggest to those not in the know that something more special was involved.

Apr 24, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #17 of 20
  You can't really say just based on that graph alone. It's possible that the HD700 has less distortion than the HD650, and the dip around 2kHz can be EQd out. Alternatively, it's possible that the HD650 does sound better than the HD700. I honestly wouldn't know - I've heard the 650 (which is quite good in my opinion, though not my absolute favorite set of headphones), but I haven't ever had a chance to hear the 700. 

I guess I expect a product that costs twice as much to be objectively "better," and not slightly different.

Apr 24, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #18 of 20
Law of Diminishing Returns

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #19 of 20
  Law of Diminishing Returns

+1

Also, don't forget that fanboys and brand loyalists and anybody with the right type of neurosis might be inclined to spend some extra $$ for an amp with a logo that matches their cans, regardless of actual real-world performance differences.

May 1, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #20 of 20
Like many companies, I've found Sennheiser's pro gear great but they're consumer gear lacking. They've certainly become a lot more consumer focused in the last few years and personally I think the quality of their products has dropped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back