Sennheiser Cable
Aug 28, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #17 of 45
I bought the Zy Cable for use with my SENN HD25 headphones and I must say that there is a noticeable difference in bass volume. I haven't decided whether I like it or not, but it is noticeable. The cable is lighter than the HD650 cable.

The difference appears to be greater than the switch to HD650 cable (though I haven't used the HD650 as much - I am waiting till I shorten the cable and put a mini-plug on it). There is a noticeable difference with this cable change, also.

In all, I'd say the Zy cable is a fair deal, especially if you don't Do-It-Yourself as far as the reterminal work.

Aug 30, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #19 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i placed an order for a cable from head-direct. the shipping was $3 with no other expedited services available.
how long does the shipping/delivery take?

review after tried pls.
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #22 of 45
As to delivery time, I received mine in 7 working days - rather to my suprise, really.

As to the fabrication note - what is the visual cue that indicates how the connectors were attached?

Sep 1, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #23 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1M1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As to delivery time, I received mine in 7 working days - rather to my suprise, really.

As to the fabrication note - what is the visual cue that indicates how the connectors were attached?

Did you get the ZY or the Dowin? is there any chance of a review?
wink.gif

Sep 3, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #24 of 45
Quote:

DW12_connectors.jpg

The above was cropped out of the photo on the Head-Direct site, slightly sharpened. enlarged, and rotated.

Seems fairly certain to me that they hack into the wire at the base of the stock Senn connectors, probably destroying the strain relief, then cover it up with clear heatshrink that will fit over and shrink down properly on the bottom part of the connector but is thus too large to shrink down on the cable exit at the bottom. It's hard to tell exactly what is under that clear--more black heatshrink, I suppose......but it appears "too loose" to me, especially that left channel connection. Or there are huge gobbed solder joints under there, maybe.

The top of the connector looks as if it's in good shape, at least.

It appears as if someone prints out L's and R's on paper or labels, then uses a paper punch to cut them out. The "R" isn't centered on the label or the connector and is tilted.

I'd live with some of that if it were my own DIY job.....though if I couldn't remember "red is for R" I think I should get out of the hobby, so I wouldn't bother at all with labeling it that way. However, there is no way that I would pay for something that looked like that.

Sep 3, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #25 of 45
I bought the ZY Cables.

On a fabrication note, the connectors on my cables don't look like those pictured.

There are obvious structural shape differences between the ZY cable ends versus the SENN cable ends (though the ends fit well).

Differences from SENN: no "L" and "R" embossing in shallow depressions (no depressions felt under shrink tube), distinct narrow side protrusions (one set of SENN has them, just not as narrow, and other set of SENN doesn't). Of course, I'm only looking at these two sets of SENN cables, and there are surely others.

No clear shrink tubing, just black on the ZY Cables I have. Nice and even, though.

The mini-plug is noted as "PAILICCS". Good?

The exposed red and black cable is noted as "WOER RSFR TUBE 125" degree symbol "C VW-1 (0.3) E2C3850 9" and an underlined one(1) like symbol. Good?

Still, overall, I feel it is a fair price for the ZY Cables.

Not DIY soldering yet (still practicing).

Sep 3, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #26 of 45
Quote:

The exposed red and black cable is noted as "WOER RSFR TUBE 125" degree symbol "C VW-1 (0.3) E2C3850 9" and an underlined one(1) like symbol.

I'm 99% certain that is just red and black heatshrink over the top of the twisted conductors from a starquad cable under the techflex.

Sep 3, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #27 of 45
Just thinking some more (always a dangerous activity).

Does anyone, besides CARDAS (I think - and not for sale separately?), actually make cable ends for the SENN connections?

Looks like your 100% on the heat shrink tubing.

Sep 3, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #28 of 45
I think the Zu cables have some other connector on them, but you are right.....as of today, there are no commercially available DIY Senn connectors.

The pic that I posted above shows some hacked stock Senn connectors. There was a post back in March 2007 with a picture from a "Korean headphone mania" site that showed a pile of the signal and ground pins in both gold and what I'd presume to be nickel finish......someone, somewhere, is making those, so all we need is a compatible housing:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...4&postcount=58

The cable pictured in this post from earlier this year sported some connectors that looked promising, but kin0kin called them "special" and never divulged the source as far as I know:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...postcount=2238

and they look rather similar to the ones on the ZY cable, don't they?

Sep 4, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #30 of 45
just received the dowin cable (the $69 one) in the mail.
will test it out and give some impressions when i get home.

EDIT:
Price: $69 + $3 shipping (From NY to NJ. Shipped out on 8/30 and arrived 9/4)
Length: 10 feet
Plug: Neutrik NP3C or Canare F16 (Mine came with Canare)
hd580withdowincablegr1.jpg

I only have my cellphone camera =(

I can only compare this to the stock HD580 cable because I haven't had any other aftermarket cables for it.
The first thing I noticed was that the sound was louder. I'd say about 15-20% louder than the stock cable.
It got rid of some of the darkness(muddiness that I experienced before) of HD580, and brought out brighter sound but not bright like Grados.
I also noticed greater clarity with more details.
Didn't do much for bass but I did notice that the lower bass was more defined.
However, I don't think the cable is worth $69. It would be a good deal at about $30 =p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back