Sennheiser Cable for the HD650
Jan 7, 2012 at 12:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

JohnerH

100+ Head-Fier
Hello guys,

Right I'm throwing myself into DIYing because I've got tons of projects I need to do at home.

One of which is the making of a cable for my HD650's.

I need to replace my existing cable and instead of just going out and buy a fancy new stock or otherwise cable, I decided to make my own.

Now, here's where I need help.

Materials:

1. Cable
  2. End Connectors (the one that connects to the headphones)
  3. Main Connector

Suggestions??

Also,

In terms of the solder, is there a big difference between 63/27 and 62/26/2 (2% being silver) when it comes to sound?

Expense, wellll, I won't be getting rid of these, so...

And yes, I am a DIY newbie... BUT, I'm hoping that fill change this year. (New year's resolution).

And finally guys thank you for all your help on this.

I'm also planning on posting pictures of all my progress and steps and such... :p

J

Jan 8, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #2 of 7
im also a noob on making cable, but i know from doing some research that for the

connectors to the 650 should be the cardas ones(its higher quality than original jacks)
http://www.moon-audio.com/diy-audio-parts/other-connectors/sennheiser-diy-headphone-connectors-for-hd650-hd600-hd580.html

the headphone jack is a preference of what you want(really doesn't matter)

the cable is based on sound signature preference, but i hear any cable is better than the stock one
if u want  to a more balanced sound the silver dragon i guess
http://www.moon-audio.com/diy-audio-parts/audio-wire/moon-audio-silver-dragon-bulk-headphone-cable.html

for solder i heard that the the cardas one is good
"Solder
[size=10pt]Q.) I'd like to know what makes Cardas solder better than all other solders for audio work. What advantage does Cardas solder have over other eutectic solders that makes it worth its much higher price? On the one hand, there is Jennifer of Jena Labs claiming that no other solder should ever be used, and on the other hand there are people in DIY chat rooms that say these exotic audiophile solders are a waste of money and no better than products like Kester. Thanks for your response. - Michael[/size]
[size=10pt]A.) Hi Michael. The vast majority of solders in the world are slurries or mixtures such as 60/40 tin lead solder. They go through a slurry stage as they solidify wherein one component solidifies first and then another. The result is a solder connection rather than a joint. Eutectic solders such as Kesters Ultra pure Tin/lead Silver are in fact excellent because they solidify at a temperature lower than any of the component parts thus they form a solder joint rather than a connection - the key here is the eutectic formula which must be very precise - the solders are obviously different in that they set up with a mirror finish rather than a dull finish, the reason they do this is because they solidify as a unit. The week link in the solders is contamination - the molten solder easily dissolves other metals, this is no problem if you are soldering to a metal that is part of the eutectic mixture (such as tin or lead) you will get contiguous flow right in to the joint (easy to see) but if you solder to a dissimilar metal (such as copper or silver) you will see an obvious dulling at the connection where the eutectic formula fails and and the continuous joint becomes a connection. Cardas Quad Eutectic is tin, lead silver, copper, eutectic. The results are obvious. Most highend products use this solder and other cable manufactures have been using it for over a decade - to them it represents good sound and absolute reliability. - George[/size]
"(directly from cardas website)

looking forward to steps i want to make one soon too, but have no experience as well

Hope i helped a little bit.
smile.gif

Jan 8, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #3 of 7
Well,

I was trying to find silver plated connectors or metal connectors, I've seen a few 600/650's in picture galleries around here and I've been trying to find them.

Having said that if I can't find them sooniisshhh, I'll probably settle for the Cardas ones.

Cables,

I actually have that particular cable for my Grado RS2's... and they do sound good and balanced, so I'll probably take that piece of advice.

Solder,

Yeah I've heard (or better read) good things about the Cardas solder. 

So ultimately what I have to do is source all those bits in the UK or otherwise I'll be having to wait a while.

I will be taking pictures all throughout the process and will be posting... if anything it should be a funny experience.

And thank you've been really helpful!

J

Jan 9, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #5 of 7
Bonza! 

Thank you...

Personal Note: Get proficient in Head-fi searching! :)

J

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #6 of 7

I'm still looking for the silver/metal Sennheiser plugs...  I know there's the cardas ones but... I like the flashy one's :p

J

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #7 of 7
Regarding solder - the quality of your solder joint matters MUCH more than the solder you used (which really, shouldn't matter much at all). 60/40 rosin core is fine. Just pay attention and do it right. 

I have not found any metallic connectors for the 600/650 for sale anywhere. You could always paint the Cardas ones if you just don't want the red/black. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back