Sennheiser cable comparison - Apuresound V3 vs. Enigma Audio Oracle M
Aug 26, 2008 at 2:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

PFKMan23

Headphoneus Supremus
[size=x-small]I recently had the opportunity to pick up an Apuresound cable and compare it to the Enigma Audio oracle cable. The reason why I wanted to try these two cables was because I was curious about the discussions surrounding the V3 cable and given my positive experience with Enigma Audio cables in the past, I also wanted to see what his more recent offerings were like. Given that they have similar components, i.e.: copper/silver combinations, I figured this would an interesting choice.

The test system was as follows:

SACD Mods Sony SCD-C555ES --> Parasound D/AC1600HD --> Rockhopper Balanced B22 --> Sennheiser HD580 with APS V3/Enigma Audio Oracle Cable[/size]

[size=x-small]NOTE: I am running the amp single ended for this comparison because the APS is a single ended cable[/size]

[size=x-small]Pricing:[/size]

[size=x-small]Apuresound V3 Cable - $260 ($240 for the bass length of a 9' cable and $20 more for the Sennheiser Cardas connectors) - APureSound - Where The Music Is Always Pure - APS Audio LLC.[/size]

[size=x-small]Enigma Audio Oracle M Cable - $225 for a 2.5m cable with one pigtail - http://www.enigma-audio.com[/size]

[size=x-small]Track 1: Eric Clapton Unplugged – San Francisco Bay Blues[/size]

[size=x-small]The first difference that I noticed was that with the V3 cable the soundstage seemed more closed in, in comparison to the Oracle cable which seemed more open. The APS V3 was overall a drier sounding cable with less body than the Oracle cable. That said, both seemed to have very good clarity with very comparable, midrange, bass and treble. However, I feel the Oracle exceeded it, because of the increased body that the song had, which seemed to give it more liveliness.[/size]

[size=x-small]Track 2: Rancid And Out Come the Wolves - Journey to the End of the East Bay[/size]

[size=x-small]I use this track mainly to test and compare bass as this song has a really nice bass line, using the bass guitar. In this case, both cables seemed to yield fairly similar results, the bass was articulate in both cases, although I feel the APS V3 cable performed slightly worse due to the more closed in soundstage that it presented. It was also rougher sounding than the Oracle which was slightly more refined.[/size]

[size=x-small]Track 3- Josh Groban Josh Groban – To Where You Are[/size]

[size=x-small]I like this song due to the body that Josh brings to his music when he sings. Both performed very similarly, however there were a few notable differences that I noticed. This first difference occurs where Josh sings the high G. The Apuresound cable had slightly better clarity, however while singing the high G, the Apuresound cable seemed to yield a screechy note that I have found more apparent in lower level systems. The other apparent difference that I found is near the end of the song, I feel the Oracle cable better reproduces the decay that is apparent in Josh’s voice. To me that is significant because when this decay is absent, it almost acts like a roll off like I have found in the earlier serial number K701s.[/size]

[size=x-small]Other remarks:[/size]

[size=x-small]The APS V3 cable is a lot thicker than the Enigma Audio Oracle. Consequently, it is also more stiff. The only headphone cables I have encountered that are more stiff than he V3 are the V1 Zu Mobius and the Moon Audio Silver Dragon. The cable I tested used the standard carbon techflex. I have asked around and it seems that super nylon sleeving addresses this somewhat. However, I have not been able to confirm this for myself. That said, both cables are well built and backed by their makers.[/size]

[size=x-small]Concluding remarks:[/size]

[size=x-small]Overall I feel both are very good cables. However, given the stiffness of he V3 cable a well as the more closed in presentation, I feel the Oracle is a superior cable.[/size]

Aug 26, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 19
Been looking at both myself, but haven't seen a whole lot of comparative reviews of the two...thanks.

Aug 27, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #3 of 19
I paid for both cables. The APS is what I use for my listening enjoyment, and the Oracle for testing new builds - because I would not miss it as much if it was somehow damaged in the process. Running balanced on both, I prefer the APS by a good margin.

While I did not notice any substantial difference in the soundstage, I DID notice the APS has a wee bit more detail across the board, and less constrained - just feel the Oracle holding back a bit, or straining to accomplish what the APS does with ease - let the music flow.

Again, both are excellent cables, but with the 600 (or 650), I think the APS superior.

Aug 27, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #4 of 19
I owned a pair of 580s with the oracle cable, and spent a bit of time with an oracle cable on my 650s, and I never heard any straining or smearing. I'm not sure what it is you're hearing, but I don't think it's fair to blame the cable. They sound great, handle great and are well made. I can't judge alex's cables, because Ive never heard them. Perhaps there's something about the APS cable that helps with the millett max balanced.

I get great bass, soundstage, and detail when listening with the oracle cables.

Aug 27, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #5 of 19
One day I hope to hear the balanced V3 cable along with my Oracle M. However, from what I heard the Oracle was clearly more open sounding. From my testing the APS V3 was brighter, but I don't feel the detail level was any was better than the Oracle. In my experience, I feel that increased brightness is equated with an increase in detail. From what I've heard, that's not necessarily the case. When I was comparing the 2 cables, I feel that during certain points in the tracks I've listed and in others that I didn't, the APS V3 was overly bright to the point where it was harsh .

Aug 27, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #6 of 19
i've heard both cables and have owned the APS. i think the APS is a very good cable - definitely on par with the major names (zu, equinox, dragons). i've only heard the oracle once. it was an XLR connected to a W5000. i asked the owner about it and he said his W5000 become noticeable better in sound after he got the cable job done. so he thought highly of it. a comparison of these two cables is interesting, but i think that comparison would be more interesting if it were done by someone who did not list the maker of the cable they preferred as one of their head-fi heroes.

Aug 27, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a comparison of these two cables is interesting, but i think that comparison would be more interesting if it were done by someone who did not list the maker of the cable they preferred as one of their head-fi heroes.

While that viewpoint is understandable, my list no only contains his name but that of another cable maker and member of the trade. Yes I admit, I have other cables made by Enigma Audio, some of which predatoe the creation of Apuresound. I also consider him a friend.

FYI, that list is meant not to offend. I have a variety of reasons of why I have incldued some people. I know other people have lists of names for other reasons as well. Anyone who takes it that seriosuly really has a complete misunderstanding of its purpose

That said, with regards to questioning the validity of my reivew. I have seen other people buy and subsequently recommend gear that they they have purchased as a follow up because they have enjoyed earlier products from the same maker. They also have written reviews on those products as well. My review is in the same vein.

My chief interest in the Oracle is largely due to the fact that the conductor is a silveralloy, as opposed to the plating that many other cables use.

Aug 27, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did your Oracle improve in sound quality after 100 or 200 hours of use ?

I'll let you know once I reach that point and can make a conclusive comment about it.

Aug 27, 2008 at 12:49 PM Post #10 of 19
And I have other cables built by APS. My observations are based on an 8 month comparison, my ears, my rig, yada.

My experience is different than the OP, and based on a bit more than a cursory test. I have never, ever heard anything 'screechy' from the APS - sorry, can't let that go unrebutted.

As a point of clarity, the APS is not 'silver plated' as implied - it is silver cored.

Grawk, you are right - I'll blame the hd650... :)

Aug 27, 2008 at 2:35 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As a point of clarity, the APS is not 'silver plated' as implied - it is silver cored.

Not sure if you're just using a different term but the blurb from the APS V3 webpage states:

Quote:

The new V3 cable is made of a very high purity copper cored silver wire covered in two layers of Teflon. The first layer of Teflon is applied while the wire is still VERY hot and is a very thin layer.

To me that says the core is copper.

Aug 27, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #12 of 19
Yeah the core is copper. The reason in my past reviews I refer to it as copper cored rather than silver plated is because mass wise it is a mostly silver wire. The break down is something like 60 percent silver 40 percent copper. So imo its like a silver wire that's been cored with copper. I think the normal mass break down in a silver plated copper wire is something between .1 silver to 99.9 copper. And the process its made is supposedly very different from plating (I.e. not plating).

Aug 28, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah the core is copper. The reason in my past reviews I refer to it as copper cored rather than silver plated is because mass wise it is a mostly silver wire. The break down is something like 60 percent silver 40 percent copper. So imo its like a silver wire that's been cored with copper. I think the normal mass break down in a silver plated copper wire is something between .1 silver to 99.9 copper. And the process its made is supposedly very different from plating (I.e. not plating).

I remember Alex stating his conductor material ratio being 75% silver & 25% copper (don't know if this is wrt mass or volume). Has that ratio actually changed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back