Sennheiser Baby Orpheus: Unfinished Review
Jun 23, 2005 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

eric343

Member of the Trade: Audiogeek: The "E" in META42
I wrote the following before I had to send the Baby Orpheus headphones back to Jatinder. As such, it's highly unbalanced -- far more is dedicated to the flaws of this headphone as should be in a proper review. In addition to taking it with a grain of salt, it can only be viewed as impressions of the HE60 in reference to the HE90 -- no other headphones were used. However, if you read it in conjunction with the "First Impressions" I posted awhile back on the HE60, you should get a half-decent impression of my opinion of this awesome little headphone...

There is something in the Sennheiser bloodline that infuses their electrostatic headphones with a kind of magic unheard anywhere else in the headphone world. They simply and effortlessly get out of the way of the treble, allowing it a kind of space and headroom that I’ve seen nowhere else. The result is the sensation of listening to the music live – in an actual venue, with room acoustics properly rendered and without the hint of a suggestion that there is a recording and playback chain in the mix. Granted, they render any imperfection in said chain with as much fidelity as can be imagined, but somehow the brain excuses those imperfections as if they lie in the instruments or vocalists themselves.

If each component in an audio system is a window on to the world of music, the flaw of the Baby Orpheus is that it is made out of plastic. High quality plastic indeed, but a plastic that manifests itself whenever bass comes into play. Whereas the Baby’s elder brother allows not a single note to get in the way of another, the Baby has a tendency to bloom. A bass-note with any kind of midbass content is always brought front and center in the soundstage, and once it is there the note proceeds to open up its peacock’s tail and obscure our view – like the play of a bright spot of light on a slightly cloudy acrylic window-pane, the blooming mid-bass of the Baby Orpheus reduces the contrast of the surrounding notes.

Jun 23, 2005 at 5:58 PM Post #2 of 6
i agree with you...but i liked the bloom.
cool.gif

on the KGSS i preferred the baby over the daddy orpheus because of that. but on the orpheus tube system itself, the daddy HE90 showed its stuff and i fell in love with its absolutely truthful presentation from top to unbloomed bottom.

Jun 24, 2005 at 5:37 AM Post #3 of 6
*sigh*

When will I be able to hear the uber strata-level Senns??
rolleyes.gif

Jun 24, 2005 at 6:29 AM Post #4 of 6
Eric, you should be a wine reviewer as well. You've got the touch.

I think you said that you like the HE60s but you like the HE90s better. Me too.

For the money, though, you can't beat the HE60s. I've not had enough time with them to identify the bass bloom or any other specific weaknesses; to me, under meet conditions and driven by a fabulous source, they sounded incredible... but were still missing that last 5% of 'near perfection' that the HE90s give.

Jun 24, 2005 at 9:07 AM Post #5 of 6
Guys,

How much is retail for the HE60 and the HE90 respectively? Are they still under production and if not, what happened to them?

Also, how come I cant find them on the Sennheiser website?

Lastly, how much do they usually run used?

What can I say, I have an inquiring mind. Hahahah...
600smile.gif

Jun 24, 2005 at 9:47 AM Post #6 of 6
They are both out of production. The last couple Baby Orpheus systems (HE60 headphones + HEV70 amplifier, they are always sold together) went for $750 and $880. Demand for Baby O's is very high, and supply is almost non-existant. If you want a pair, prepare for months of hourly visits to "Headphones for sale" forums, eBay, and Audiogon.

The HE90 goes for $5,500+.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back