Sennheiser Amperior vs Momentum?
Oct 24, 2015 at 1:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

theuprising

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I am thinking of buying one of these, as they are practically the same price refurbished. I want a headphone good for modern rock, and was worried the Amperior would be too sibilant to use for this? Though the Momentum may be too rolled off and dull.

Oct 24, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #2 of 7

That momentum has some crazy low bass and the Amperior should be a more clean punchy bass. I'm surprised they're this close otherwise -really never looked at the frequency graphs. I did like the treble on the Momentum but I thought the bass was a little too grandiose sometimes. Never heard the Amperior.

Based off the graph I doubt the treble would be too sibilant on the Amperior it seems very balanced with the rest of the frequencies-but still obviously very V-shaped (momentum on ear was one of the most v-shaped headphones I've ever heard but that might be slightly offset with the less emphasis on the lower bass in the Amperior compared to momentum on ear).

Oct 24, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 7

That momentum has some crazy low bass and the Amperior should be a more clean punchy bass. I'm surprised they're this close otherwise -really never looked at the frequency graphs. I did like the treble on the Momentum but I thought the bass was a little too grandiose sometimes. Never heard the Amperior.

Based off the graph I doubt the treble would be too sibilant on the Amperior it seems very balanced with the rest of the frequencies-but still obviously very V-shaped (momentum on ear was one of the most v-shaped headphones I've ever heard but that might be slightly offset with the less emphasis on the lower bass in the Amperior compared to momentum on ear).

Turn on the FR compensated feature, because otherwise the charts look way different from what you see on other websites like goldenears and innerfidelity.

This is the same comparison with it on, though I was talking about the over-ear,  apparently the general consensus here is that the Momentum on ears are rubbish.

These are 2 pretty different headphones. I actually demo'd the momentum's for 1 song or so, and they only had 1 rock song I could listen to, Foo Fighters - Walk. It sounded alright but the vocals were front and center, not the guitars, so overall I actually like the VMODA M100 more for this song, if it wasn't for the recessed lower treble it would be perfect. The Amperior has more of a mid-treble spike than the M100 however, making me worried if it is going to eat my ears out like the A900x does.

Oct 25, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #5 of 7
Check momentum 2, it is less rolled off.

Whoah, I have never seen a comparison b/w the 2 Momentum models in sound quality so I assumed they were identical.

This might seal it because the pair of Momentum's I auditioned were the Momentum 2, and it sounded like a vocal centric headphone where the guitars were behind the action.
EDIT: What, CNET says the Momentum 2 is more rolled off...

Oct 25, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #6 of 7
  Turn on the FR compensated feature, because otherwise the charts look way different from what you see on other websites like goldenears and innerfidelity.

This is the same comparison with it on, though I was talking about the over-ear,  apparently the general consensus here is that the Momentum on ears are rubbish.

These are 2 pretty different headphones. I actually demo'd the momentum's for 1 song or so, and they only had 1 rock song I could listen to, Foo Fighters - Walk. It sounded alright but the vocals were front and center, not the guitars, so overall I actually like the VMODA M100 more for this song, if it wasn't for the recessed lower treble it would be perfect. The Amperior has more of a mid-treble spike than the M100 however, making me worried if it is going to eat my ears out like the A900x does.

In that case Momentum over ear and Amperior are very very different sound signatures. Bass and Mids dominant for the Momentum over ear and V-shaped for the Amperior. Amperior though is closer to the A900X proportionally, but it should be less strident in treble region because of a slightly higher bass level. It's hard to say which you will like with limited information. 

Oct 25, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #7 of 7

Whoah, I have never seen a comparison b/w the 2 Momentum models in sound quality so I assumed they were identical.

This might seal it because the pair of Momentum's I auditioned were the Momentum 2, and it sounded like a vocal centric headphone where the guitars were behind the action.
EDIT: What, CNET says the Momentum 2 is more rolled off...

Well both momentums have the tipical sennheiser house sound with smoother and more laid back treble, except HD800. Though the amperor was based on the hd 25 which is a dj headphone.
DJ hps have more forward sound, so in that case amperor more suitable for you.
I personally have momentum 1 at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back