Sennheiser Amperior, Momentum, Grado SR325i, NAD HP50, Beyer Tesla DT1350 or Shure SRH940? Open to alternatives.
May 16, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #16 of 21
So I was just about to pull the trigger on the Mikros 90s only to find out that I can't find reliable way to get them in NZ. I could ship from ebay but that would cost me another $80, almost the same as the phones so it really doesn't feel worth it.

So now, all my money is pretty much focused one one headphone, an amp and dac. 

Now it's down to Grado SR3/225i  or  HE-400. HE-400 seem like a great phone to have, arguably better than Grados (I can get the 325i and HE-400 for the same price) but Grados and my music taste seem to work well.
Just because I was initially interested in closed phones I have also searched about the FSP Claritas mentioned. MrSpeakers Mad Dogs are also in my price bracket and they seem to have some good reviews. 

I will admit, I've been convinced into owning Grados by this site so if I don't get them now I'll wait until I get a bit more money than pick up the SR80s.

Thank you all for your patience with me haha

May 16, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #17 of 21
I don't think you'd be disappointed in either 225i or HE400. Both are forward-sounding and very good. I prefer Grados for metal by a lot because the colored treble picks up guitars and cymbal. I don't think starting with 80i is a mistake as it's quite close to 225i. If you like deep bass, HE400 will surely make you happier.

If you're really interested in the Mikros, ask on the Mikros thread if they'll help you get one. It's happened once or twice before.

I think it's worth trying either of the Focals or HP50 at some point because they approximate the new target curve.

May 16, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #18 of 21

Thank you :)

I have asked in the Mikros thread if they know any ways of getting it but I think I'll live if I miss out on them.

Quote:

I think it's worth trying either of the Focals or HP50 at some point because they approximate the new target curve.

Sorry, probably a noob question but what do you mean by they approximate the new target curve?

May 16, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #19 of 21
  Sorry, probably a noob question but what do you mean by they approximate the new target curve?

Here's a fairly straightforward summary of the research. The tl;dr is Harman took a sophisticated poll to determine what sounds good to people. Ever since, it's become dogma for a handful of guys here.

May 16, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #20 of 21
Small research (32 different headphones so far) on headphones / metal subgenres synergy, I hope this help a bit.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/715478/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution

May 16, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #21 of 21
  I don't know if you are still considering the HD600, which you mentioned in one post.  I just (today) got the SR325is, so I can briefly compare the two.  The Grado sounds slightly more detailed and has much more guitar crunch and drum snap (much more than anything I have ever heard previously).  Also, the Grado is definitely "faster" (I finally understand this term).  They sound better for (well-recorded) faster rock/metal as a result.  

However, the Grados are much more sibilant than the HD600, although this is only noticeable with certain songs.  They are also less forgiving of bad recordings than the HD600.  Also, they have a smaller soundstage and are less comfortable, although I have been wearing them for an hour and half now with no issues).  In terms of impact, the two are about equal with my setup.

Overall, with your preferences (metal and detail), I would recommend the Grados.  I don't have that much metal in my library (mostly rock), but I have been listening to some Metallica, Iron Maiden, Guns N' Roses, Led Zeppelin, Dream Theater, and Avenged Sevenfold songs.  They all sound fantastic (except the occasional sibilance).

On a side note, this purchase has left me once again in a dilemma about which headphones to keep.  Well-recorded rock/metal sounds overall better on the Grados, but other genres sound better on the HD600.  I wish I could keep both, but I can't justify doing so.  One of them will be appearing on the for sale forums relatively soon.

I am still considering the HD600's as an alternative to the HE-400's (if I do decide to lean this way). I can't say for sure but, a faster phone is probably better for me.

Small research (32 different headphones so far) on headphones / metal subgenres synergy, I hope this help a bit.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/715478/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution

Thank you for the link!

Mad Dogs are also looking more and more likely although I am worried about their warmth. 

I have decided on getting 1 open, 1 closed so HE400 or HD600 will be with a Mikros 90 (if I can find it). Mad Dogs or HP50s will be with Grado 80s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back