Sennheiser Amperior, Momentum, Grado SR325i, NAD HP50, Beyer Tesla DT1350 or Shure SRH940? Open to alternatives.
May 12, 2014 at 7:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

naeropagnis

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, so firstly I'll apologise for making another one of these threads but I've spent a few days searching through the forums but due to the numerous factors which I need to consider I figured it would be beneficial to make a thread.

Firstly, this is my first foray into headphones so my knowledge is quite limited. I have a little experience with IEMs and have owned the HifiMan RE0 and currently have the Vsonic GR07s.

As mentioned, the main issue I have with making a decision is the number of factors I have to take into account mixed with my extremely limited knowledge regarding headphones. So I'm going to list the main factors which each phone.

In terms of sound preference, I listen to metalcore, death metal, and prog.  However, I love my GR07s and love a detailed/analytical phone, I'd rather hear the details in the music than have an overly aggressive phone. This is arguably the main reason why I can't make a decision.

Also note that these are intended for home use (although my flatmates will be around) so portables aren't a requirement.

Sennheiser Amperior:

- I've heard good things about the HD25-1 II's and that they're good for metal, I've also heard the Amperiors are an upgrade so that's why it's listed here in its place.
- I'm worried that there won't be enough detail for my liking or that the clarity won't be there (I've always had the impression that Senns were quite muddy sounding)
- The price is such that I could get a FiiO amp or Schiit Magni.
- Worried about comfort as I intend to wear these for long periods.

Sennheiser Momentum:

- For one, if I get these there is almost no way I will be able to get an amp at the same time.
- Once again, worried about a slightly muddy sound and not being very detailed. However it seems like the sound of these is supposed to be enjoyable and could be forgiving on badly recorded tracks.
- Personally I think they look amazing.
- Don't think comfort should be an issue.

Grado 325i:

- Guess this is the recurring trend, but I'm worried about lack of detail.
- Every other thread has reccomended these for my kind of music, and I have heard the SR80 which sounded damn good.
- Main thing stopping me from getting these is the fact they're open and leak really badly. Although I will be inside and at home, there will always be background noises due to flatmates. Would this background noise be noticable enough to ruin the experience? Also a minor issue is disturbing them with leakage (this is the least important factor).
- Too expensive for an amp as well.

NAD HP50:

- From what I could find, the sound on this appears to be balanced which is promising.
- Seems to be great sound quality for price.
- Although it's not analytical it seems to have good overall SQ so it's a fair compromise in my mind.
- Not enough information on this product, so I want to explore other options before jumping on these.
- Can possibly get an amp for these.

Beyer DT1350:

- Appears the have the detailed sound I know I enjoy.
- Portable so I can go without an amp for a while.
- Constantly referred to as a phone for on the go, so I am reserved because it seems like I could get a better 'home' phone for a similar price.

Shure SRH940:

- Seems to have a lot clarity and detail. So in terms of usual sound signature this could be a safe bet.
- Worried about build quality (and looks kind of dull in my opinion)
- Won't be able to afford an amp straight away.
- Worried that it might be unforgiving on my music.

Sorry about the length of this, I've found it quite difficult to narrow this list down! To summarise I am inclined to the NAD or Grados, I don't mind trying a different sound signature but I'm worried about the open nature of the Grados and the lack of information on the HP50s. 
If you reccommend any other cheaper headphones I will be able to buy an amp so if you feel that is the better option please let me know!

Thank you all for your time.

May 12, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #2 of 21
Since I have the Amperiors I'll comment on them.
The sound is good, you'll probably like it. However you're correct about comfort, they're designed to be portable and not fall off so there's some definite clamp. I wouldn't really recommend them for home use. And at 16ohms there is absolutely no reason to waste further money on an amp for them.

May 12, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 21
 I'd rather hear the details in the music than have an overly aggressive phone. This is arguably the main reason why I can't make a decision.

If it is detail then this may be your best option. It is much less expensive than headphones you have listed.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/633514/martin-logan-mikros-90-on-ear-headphones

http://www.amazon.com/MartinLogan-Mikros-90-Reference-Headphones/dp/B00A0AOVRS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399942878&sr=8-1&keywords=mikros+90

Also the Onkyo ES FC300. It has bass kick and very good details. Not at detailed as the Mikros, but what other on-ear is?

May 13, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #5 of 21
The Mikros are colored rather like Grados, so they play metal well. Stock lacks bass; modding might help. Soundstage is on the small side. Buy it if you're looking for a closed Grado. Otherwise, you might prefer something over ear and more neutral. I am really enjoying FSP, apart from occasional fit issues.

May 13, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #6 of 21
  The Mikros are colored rather like Grados, so they play metal well. Stock lacks bass; modding might help. Soundstage is on the small side. Buy it if you're looking for a closed Grado. Otherwise, you might prefer something over ear and more neutral. I am really enjoying FSP, apart from occasional fit issues.

Seriously considering these now. By mods are you referring to changing the cable and getting an amp/DAC? If I plan on using this from a laptop am I right in assuming a DAC may serve more of a purpose? (I'll stick with my GR07s as portables)

May 13, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #7 of 21
Seriously considering these now. By mods are you referring to changing the cable and getting an amp/DAC? If I plan on using this from a laptop am I right in assuming a DAC may serve more of a purpose? (I'll stick with my GR07s as portables)

No, I meant opening them and trying some of the mods on the Mikros thread.

May 14, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #8 of 21
The Momentum's have a very laid back sound with bass emphasis, but is very detailed for a closed can and it doesn't need an amp. But I personally don't like them that much for those genres.

The 325is are really great for those genres IMO, they sound very detailed and clear, but they're more aggressive than the 80i (which is a plus for me). They also don't need an amp to sound good. And yeah.

May 15, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #9 of 21
I've crossed Amperior, Momentums and Shures off my list. My main concern is that the Mikros 90s might be too revealing for poor quality recordings (currently investigating this). Also the Philips Fidelio x1, Senn HD600 and HD650s are going for relatively cheap, anyone think they're worth looking at?

Sorry about chucking more headphones into the equation, and thank you for your time! :)

May 15, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #10 of 21
  I've crossed Amperior, Momentums and Shures off my list. My main concern is that the Mikros 90s might be too revealing for poor quality recordings (currently investigating this). Also the Philips Fidelio x1, Senn HD600 and HD650s are going for relatively cheap, anyone think they're worth looking at?

Sorry about chucking more headphones into the equation, and thank you for your time! :)

Since you mentioned flatmates, it's probably best to buy a closed model.

I didn't find Mikros to be too revealing: it's not forgiving either, just normal.

May 15, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #11 of 21

Sure! But the X1 is not as detailed as the Grado at least and you will probably need an amp for the others. DT880 is a good one too.

May 15, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #12 of 21
I'm incredibly indecisive but I think I've narrowed it down significantly. I emailed a nearby store and can have a listen to the NAD HP50s and make a decision about comfort.

However I also have another option which could preferable; getting the Mikros with a relatively cheap amp and DAC and then either Grado 225is or HiFiMAN HE-400 (from a fellow head-fi member).
I do realize this could seem unnecesary but having a closed and open headphone seems like a decent balance.

I looked at the differences between the 325i and 225is and they seem relatively minimal and the $100 difference doesn't seem worth it. 

Although the Mikros are coloured like Grados am I right in assuming they still sound significantly different? If they're similar then it's an easy decision to get the HE-400s as my open cans. 
But I have to say, everything I've read makes it sound like the Grados are a metalheads' essential can. Luckily I have some impression of the 80s and can give the 400s a go.

May 15, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #13 of 21
I'm incredibly indecisive but I think I've narrowed it down significantly. I emailed a nearby store and can have a listen to the NAD HP50s and make a decision about comfort.

However I also have another option which could preferable; getting the Mikros with a relatively cheap amp and DAC and then either Grado 225is or HiFiMAN HE-400 (from a fellow head-fi member).

I do realize this could seem unnecesary but having a closed and open headphone seems like a decent balance.

I looked at the differences between the 325i and 225is and they seem relatively minimal and the $100 difference doesn't seem worth it. 

Although the Mikros are coloured like Grados am I right in assuming they still sound significantly different? If they're similar then it's an easy decision to get the HE-400s as my open cans. 

But I have to say, everything I've read makes it sound like the Grados are a metalheads' essential can. Luckily I have some impression of the 80s and can give the 400s a go.

Keeping an open and a closed can is a good idea.

Keep in mind that the HE-400's are dark, so they don't have that much energy the Grado's have for rock :)

The differences in the prestige series seems to be pretty small (I own both 80i and 325is). So thinking that way, neither the 225i would be worth $100 over the 80i.

But I've owned the 400's as well and they're not bad at all for rock/metal, they're pretty good specially with the most technical songs, I just prefer the intimacy, aggressiveness and guitar bite Grado's have.

May 15, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #14 of 21

Mikros and Grados don't sound the same, whatever the similarities. I wouldn't pass up the Grados (80 or 225).

May 15, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #15 of 21
I don't know if you are still considering the HD600, which you mentioned in one post.  I just (today) got the SR325is, so I can briefly compare the two.  The Grado sounds slightly more detailed and has much more guitar crunch and drum snap (much more than anything I have ever heard previously).  Also, the Grado is definitely "faster" (I finally understand this term).  They sound better for (well-recorded) faster rock/metal as a result.  

However, the Grados are much more sibilant than the HD600, although this is only noticeable with certain songs.  They are also less forgiving of bad recordings than the HD600.  Also, they have a smaller soundstage and are less comfortable, although I have been wearing them for an hour and half now with no issues).  In terms of impact, the two are about equal with my setup.

Overall, with your preferences (metal and detail), I would recommend the Grados.  I don't have that much metal in my library (mostly rock), but I have been listening to some Metallica, Iron Maiden, Guns N' Roses, Led Zeppelin, Dream Theater, and Avenged Sevenfold songs.  They all sound fantastic (except the occasional sibilance).

On a side note, this purchase has left me once again in a dilemma about which headphones to keep.  Well-recorded rock/metal sounds overall better on the Grados, but other genres sound better on the HD600.  I wish I could keep both, but I can't justify doing so.  One of them will be appearing on the for sale forums relatively soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back