Sennheiser 650 headphones and Rega Ear
Apr 6, 2005 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Arthur Heber

New Head-Fier
I recently upgraded from Senn 600's to the 650 And am powering the 650 with a Rega ear upgraded from the Creek obh 11 with the obh 2 power supply.I find the 650 is giving me fantastic sound.The bass is a bit boomy and needs to be tightened up a bit.I'm thinking that a cable upgrade schould or could help.Since I'm a relative newcomer to the headphone addiction and know nothing about cable upgrade,I need some advice as to what cable is right for my combination.If anybody has any ideas they would be truly appreciated.

Apr 6, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 10
Is there really no one out there with some ideas in answer to my previous post?
confused.gif

Apr 6, 2005 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 10
I had a Rega Ear that I used with my HD650. Replacing the stock HD650 cable with a Zu Mobius provided tighter bass (not to mention better extension) to my ears. I was using a Rega Planet 2000=>Rega Couple interconnect=>Rega Ear=>HD650/Zu Mobius. The Zu Mobius is pretty expensive for a cable ($200) so think twice before buying. Zu has a return policy; however, I am not sure how easy it is to return stuff to them.

---Pat

EDIT: The Zu Mobius also adds treble and bass extension. This may or may not be good depending on your taste. I find the Zu makes my HD650 too bright, so I stopped using it. NOTE to opportunists: my Zu is NOT for sale!)

Apr 6, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #4 of 10
Hi Arthur Heber,

I owned the same combo of HD650+Rega Ear until about five days ago. They do have good synergy with each other especially if you pair them with sources from Rega. However, I found the Rega Ear to have a high background noise when used with low impedence/low efficiency headphones. (The gain is too high maybe?)

Have not auditioned any after-market cables, so I could not comment on the SQ of them when paired with the amp. However, the stock cable does open up quite a bit with use and proper amplification.

best of luck,
overlunge

Apr 7, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #5 of 10
I've got the same setup. What do you use to play your music? I ordered a DMX 6fire LT... and then finally got my audigy 2's ASIO output to work, and the sound quality seemed to double. It's a little better with the 6fire, but the source can do a lot of things with the sound. I was surprised.

Apr 11, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #6 of 10
overlunge, hi :
smily_headphones1.gif

"I found the Rega Ear to have a high background noise when used with low impedence/low efficiency headphones. (The gain is too high maybe?)"

You wanted to say low impedance, HIGH efficiency ? The gain in the Rega Ear is high (Gain = 21.7dB), is more suitable for high impedance Sennheisers.

http://www.rega.co.uk/html/ear_2001.htm

Apr 11, 2005 at 7:59 PM Post #7 of 10
I'm not too much of a fan of the rega ear. Instead of dropped say $200 on an aftermarket cable, you may want to put the money towards upgrading to a new amp or new source. Which source are you using btw? When I tested the Zu, it did make a difference, but I think it's may be possible to get more improvement putting the money elsewhere at this point.

Apr 11, 2005 at 8:06 PM Post #8 of 10
I have been reading some reviews lately and it sound like the Equinox is the one to get - tightens up the bass, but without the harsh highs of the Zu. Although a few people are also waiting on the new Blue Dragon cable to come out...

Apr 11, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigears
overlunge, hi :
smily_headphones1.gif

"I found the Rega Ear to have a high background noise when used with low impedence/low efficiency headphones. (The gain is too high maybe?)"

You wanted to say low impedance, HIGH efficiency ? The gain in the Rega Ear is high (Gain = 21.7dB), is more suitable for high impedance Sennheisers.

http://www.rega.co.uk/html/ear_2001.htm

Hi bigears,

Thanks for pointing that out.

best of luck,
overlunge

Apr 11, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #10 of 10
To those that asked about my source,it is a Sony scd-2000es sacd player.I am using a HK 3480 stereo reciever to power my speakers which are Axiom m80's.I just purchased an Equinox upgrade cable for the Senn.650 but won't get to use them for another 22 weeks due to the production backlog.I hope that they will refine the boomy bass i'm getting now and that the $200 spent on them is not money out the window.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back