Sennheiser 599 vs Massdrops 6XX?
Jul 3, 2019 at 10:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

iNeedCansBad

Head-Fier
It's been a while since I've been on here, but my old AKG's were stolen some time ago and I replaced them with some cheap $20 Monoprice headphones just to have something and they were fine for nearly two years until they broke. Now I am in the market for a good set of headphones, and let me say I primarily use these on the computer for gaming, music, and streaming. So PC gaming is very important to me as the girlfriend doesn't want to hear it and I don't blame her. Gun sounds and war cries aren't her cup of tea, and at the same time listening to her watch Lifetime isn't my cup of tea either.

So I've been googling away and almost settled on Sony MDR7506's just because of the nostalgia factor. I remember having a set similar to those when I was young with the coiled cable and all, but then I thought perhaps they are outdated by todays standards and probably not best for my needs. I came across Massdrop's website and some glowing reviews for their offerings and the 6XX seems like a great buy. The 599's however are on sale right now for around $140 and look damn good too with great reviews. As a gamer I need a mic, and I was planning on using this as a separate desktop mic...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XCKGLTP/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A2AN59XOQCTDYD&psc=1

This way I can get headphones that are awesome for everything, and not have a mic attached to it so I don't look like a doofus when I take them out of the house, but again these are primarily for use on the PC for gaming.

So which of these two would you recommend, or would you recommend something else?

Jul 4, 2019 at 7:12 AM Post #2 of 5
Both of these headphones are open back so there's no isolation. They are also quite different in their presentation. The Massdrop HD6xx is a Sennheiser HD650 high impedance headphone which really thrives on good amplification. It is bass elevated and dark. I don't really know how good these would be for gaming as they have an intimate soundstage as well as average imaging. I would say these are much better for music/films with of course an amplifier capable of driving them well. They're not for neutrality lovers but people who like a thick, warm analogue type tonality. The Sennheiser HD599's are again open backed headphones (no isolation), they are easier to drive with their lower impedance, are more neutral and have a slightly wider soundstage. They don't require an amplifier to drive them. They're from a slightly less exotic line than the Maxsdrop HD6xx/Sennheiser HD650. How good these are for gaming I don't know as I only use headphones for music. Supposedly the much more expensive Beyerdynamic T1's are magnificent gaming headphones with pinpoint imaging.

Oct 6, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #3 of 5
Which AKGs were you using--also which Monoprice? That could determine how I might answer. If you put some thick pads along with a felt replacement on the 7506s you might be really happy. I have all these things though, including those two Sennheiser's. 599s are like for some business exec who comes home and drinks scotch in his study, and being "taken away" to some other world by his music. 6xx are for someone who wants to do some serious analysis of what they are listening to. Both are great though, but normally I'd always default to the 6xx. However, my 7506 after modding I can wear for hours and I basically get music the way it was exactly meant to sound. I love my AKG k612s too.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #4 of 5
It's been a while since I've been on here, but my old AKG's were stolen some time ago and I replaced them with some cheap $20 Monoprice headphones just to have something and they were fine for nearly two years until they broke. Now I am in the market for a good set of headphones, and let me say I primarily use these on the computer for gaming, music, and streaming. So PC gaming is very important to me as the girlfriend doesn't want to hear it and I don't blame her. Gun sounds and war cries aren't her cup of tea, and at the same time listening to her watch Lifetime isn't my cup of tea either.

So I've been googling away and almost settled on Sony MDR7506's just because of the nostalgia factor. I remember having a set similar to those when I was young with the coiled cable and all, but then I thought perhaps they are outdated by todays standards and probably not best for my needs. I came across Massdrop's website and some glowing reviews for their offerings and the 6XX seems like a great buy. The 599's however are on sale right now for around $140 and look damn good too with great reviews. As a gamer I need a mic, and I was planning on using this as a separate desktop mic...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XCKGLTP/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A2AN59XOQCTDYD&psc=1

This way I can get headphones that are awesome for everything, and not have a mic attached to it so I don't look like a doofus when I take them out of the house, but again these are primarily for use on the PC for gaming.

So which of these two would you recommend, or would you recommend something else?
the 599s are great for gaming, I had a set of 598s for years and they're super comfortable, and they sound great for games, the 599 is just the new version, i bought my son a set of 599's he plays fortnight and gta online etc with them and loves them , they're amazingly comfortable and you can wear them all day long, the 6xx can have quite a strong clamping force for some people, my son hated how strong the 6xx clamped on to his head but loved the 599's,

Oct 27, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #5 of 5
For gaming definitely the 599, I own the 598 and it's terrific for gaming. Really wide open sound, and great directional audio, you can tell where sounds are coming from very well with these. I'm not the biggest fan of the HD650 myself, and for gaming particularly I don't think they're that great. In terms of comfort I also think the 598 (and 599) does way better coz the clamping is light, has chord only on one side and is seriously lightweight. You also don't have to worry about amp and power output with these guys.

Just my 2cts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back