Sennheiser 598 or V-moda M-100
Sep 16, 2013 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

joruzani

New Head-Fier
Hi I'm new here but actually have been reading for a long time.
About 2 years ago I get a pair of Klipsch s4 based on reviews and recommendations I found mostly in here and I just love them.
That time was kind of an easy pick cuz the klipsch were the perfect fit for my budget.
Unfortunately just got missing... and besides were malfunctioning already. So I'll take it as an opportunity for an upgrade.
I would say that I'm an audiophile... but I just don't have the money, pretty sure you get me in that.

Now to the point:
What will you recommend between the Sennheiser 598 and the V-Moda M-100??
I have helped many friends picking audio equipment in general, mostly thanks to head-fi... and so I have tried sennheiser 600 and 558, akg 701, beats (yea they made me try them), and a pair of sony high-end just can't remember the models.
I really liked the sennheiser and the akg signature.

The other thing is I already decided to get the FiiO E07k Andes... but if I get the V-moda I won't be able to get it too.
I like both designs but have to accept the extra toughness of the V-moda seems really nice.

So what would you suggest?
Getting the senn 598 and FiiO E07k
OR
the V-moda m100... and a few months later the FiiO E07k

By the way I currently don't have any amp/dac.

Thanks for the help and feel free to ask any questions.

Sep 16, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #2 of 7
Hello!

Just a few questions to ask! 1) Will you be using this set-up indoor or outdoor? 2) Do you love big bass? 3) What genre of music do you listen to mostly and 4) Are you planning to connect the FiiO amp/DAC to computer or your portable device?

The M100 and HD598 are from different world! The HD598 have a "reference SQ", rolled off bass and highs. Mids are warm and brought forward. In comparison it have better soundstage and imaging but it might sound a lil veiled. M100 on the other hand are extremely bassy, lacking soundstage, recessed mdis and highs are rather sparky! The HD598 leaks sound while M100 don't unless you listen at extreme volume.

Other headphones that you might want to look into are:
Shure SRH840
AKG K550
AKG K167
Sennheiser Momentum
PSB M4U1
Sony MA900

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Sep 16, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #4 of 7
  Hi I'm new here but actually have been reading for a long time.
About 2 years ago I get a pair of Klipsch s4 based on reviews and recommendations I found mostly in here and I just love them.
That time was kind of an easy pick cuz the klipsch were the perfect fit for my budget.
Unfortunately just got missing... and besides were malfunctioning already. So I'll take it as an opportunity for an upgrade.
I would say that I'm an audiophile... but I just don't have the money, pretty sure you get me in that.

Now to the point:
What will you recommend between the Sennheiser 598 and the V-Moda M-100??
I have helped many friends picking audio equipment in general, mostly thanks to head-fi... and so I have tried sennheiser 600 and 558, akg 701, beats (yea they made me try them), and a pair of sony high-end just can't remember the models.
I really liked the sennheiser and the akg signature.

The other thing is I already decided to get the FiiO E07k Andes... but if I get the V-moda I won't be able to get it too.
I like both designs but have to accept the extra toughness of the V-moda seems really nice.

So what would you suggest?
Getting the senn 598 and FiiO E07k
OR
the V-moda m100... and a few months later the FiiO E07k

By the way I currently don't have any amp/dac.

Thanks for the help and feel free to ask any questions.

Heya,

Depends on what you like. If you liked the AKG and Sennheiser sound, then you would probably like the HD598. The Vmoda is very different, darker sounding, and much, much more bassy. Also it's closed for isolation. The HD598 has a wider sound stage, but has a lot less bass presence. Depends on what you like more.

Just going off you liking the K701 sound, I think the HD598 + E07k is a good way to go for overall listening, unless you just really want more bass, then look into a Beyer DT880 PRO or DT990 PRO or a Sony MA900 or Philips Fidelio X1.

Very best,

Sep 16, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for the replys.

About the questions
1) Will you be using this set-up indoor or outdoor?  mostly indoor
2) Do you love big bass? I like it not sure if love it (have tried some with juso too much). I'm a bass player btw.
3) What genre of music do you listen to mostly? I listen to jazz and metal the most, but also like classic.
4) Are you planning to connect the FiiO amp/DAC to computer or your portable device? actually both... and by the way I have a galaxy s3 does the E07K can work as DAC for it or just amp.

I guess I forgot to mention that I'm a bass player and listen mostly instrumental music, so I like the instruments sound as defined as possible.

Ok looking into the Sony MA900 the Beyer DT880 PRO and the AKG K550... I wish I could try them =(

Sep 17, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #7 of 7
Out of those three: DT880, MA900, K550 I would say the K550 best suit you if you manage to achieve good seal otherwise, wait for the K545 next month (to my knowledge).

I too like Grados for metal and classical music but if you play deep-sub bass kind of thing, it may not be for you.

Billson :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back