Jul 2, 2008 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

cmach

New Head-Fier
Hello,

After doing some research I've narrowed down my search for my first
pair of headphones. I'm having trouble deciding between these two
models. The 595 seems like the better choice but is it overkill for
if I plan on using it on my iTouch.

I can get a great deal on the HD 280 Pro but I'm wondering if the 595 is worth the additional cost. My choice of music with these will be primarly soundtracks and classical.

Thanks
Cmach

Jul 2, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #2 of 10
have not heard the 280 pro but I have recently acquired the 595's and they are damn good for classical music and orchestral soundtracks, listening to The Last Of The Mohicans soundtrack right now, brilliant, even the bass which alot of people say is lacking.

The general opinion i have heard on here is that open backed phones are better for classical music so that might help make up your mind.

I am a newbie remember and only have a pair of speakers for reference but compared to them the detail is superb.

Jul 2, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #3 of 10
The 555 and 595 are much better for classical music, but they won't reach as much of their potential as the 280 will coming out of an iPod jack.

Jul 2, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 10
I'd say HD595 at half its potential beats the 280 Pro. It's even decently powered straight from the iPod. I'd only go with the 280 if you need isolation.

Cmach, you're averaging one post per year. Slow down.
wink.gif

Jul 2, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #6 of 10
Thanks for all your help. I've decided to go for the 595's. They seem to
offer the best bang for the buck. Plus if in the future I decide to get
a dedicate amp I'll be less inclined to upgrade ...I think.

Cheers
Cmach

Jul 12, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #9 of 10
280 is really tight on my head. uncomfortable. but they are good when im recording drums since you have to pry them off with a co-bar. 595s are the most comfortable can ive tried.

Jul 12, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #10 of 10
I used the 280 for a project at work. It helped me to make out the words on a badly recorded tape -- and save the project. I can't say enough good things.

Music listening is another thing entirely. Not recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back