Sennheiser 558 or Grado sr80i
Nov 23, 2011 at 9:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

TJguitar

New Head-Fier
So i'm looking to finally graduate to some full size cans after exclusively using shure iem's for a while.

My choice has come down to these two. I listen to every kind of music though predominantely indie guitar rock, hip hop and jazz.
I'm also going to use these to game and watch movies. I can get the grado's for quite a bit cheaper but i really just want to know which pair will sound better/be more appropriate for the applications specified. 

Thanks! 

Nov 23, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #2 of 5
The Sennheisers, hands down, for all your needs. They are excellent all-round cans, especially good with games and movies. As for music, it really depends on what you like, but they sound more life-like than the Grados, especially in the bass. Soundstage is absolutely no contest though.

Nov 23, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #4 of 5
I would try and listen to them first.

I have not tried the 558's, but I have tried the 535, 555, 595, 600, and 650, and I don't know, there is just something about Sennheiser treble that I don't like.  Not lifelike, not detailed enough, not enough resolution; maybe it's the "Sennheiser veil" that a lot of people mention.

But I use their PX-100's for portable use, so go figure.

But I like most Grados that I've heard.

Nov 23, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #5 of 5
I have the SR80i and a friend has the HD600.
The 600 has more treble and the 80 has way better base.
If you dislike the sennheiser treble, go for the Grados. No contest.
Oh, the 600 were about $100 more expensive FYI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back