Sennheiser 555 or 558
Nov 5, 2010 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10
Hey everyone,

I have a pair of  Sennheiser HD212 Pro but the comfort just kills me sometimes since there to tight and hard on my jaw bones and my ears.
Does anyone know about the 558 and how they compare to the modded 555's, I heard the build quality on the 555 are very poor so I'm just wondering did the 558 improve in build quality and sound quality.

Which one do you recommend, btw a pair of 595's are cheaper than a pair of 558's so yeah which of these should I purchase for Rock/ alternative rock/ Metal/ Screamo, etc:

DT880 32 ohms, HD 518, HD555, HD558, HD595, HD598 or AD700 or should I just buy Westone UM2's for my Ipod?

Oh and btw I have a Ipod for portable listening which I'm not going to use any of these headphones with (well atleast a little bit of the time) instead I use my computer with a ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Soundcard with DFX. (I usually turn off my SRS since it makes it to "trebly")

Any help would be appreciated,  
smile_phones.gif

Cheers,

- Vlooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooienuker

Nov 5, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #2 of 10
I can't tell you the difference between the HD555 and the 558, but I can say that the 555's are of very good quality, I've had mine for just over a year and they're as good as ever.

Nov 6, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
What do you mean by "good as ever", more details please and how do these compare to the AD700's?

What I meant was my HD555s have shown no signs of wear or deterioration of sound from when I bought them. I can't tell you how they stack up against the AD700's because I've never listened to those headphones, but from what I've read more people seem to suggest the 700s over the HDs.

Nov 8, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #7 of 10
I have the 558s, modded (quick, painless and reversible), and I can assure you they're very competent with guitar music, from Queens of the Stone Age to Zappa to Slayer. They do have a very slight U shaped sound, but it only makes them more enjoyable and musical
That being said, the comfort is excellent but I don't know about the build quality - they're reasonably well built, but share the design with the HD555, which can sometimes develop little cracks. Maybe they've changed the plastic to something better. I've never seen the HD555 in person, but the new ones seem to be made from a softer, better plastic.

Nov 8, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
I have the 558s, modded (quick, painless and reversible), and I can assure you they're very competent with guitar music, from Queens of the Stone Age to Zappa to Slayer. They do have a very slight U shaped sound, but it only makes them more enjoyable and musical
That being said, the comfort is excellent but I don't know about the build quality - they're reasonably well built, but share the design with the HD555, which can sometimes develop little cracks. Maybe they've changed the plastic to something better. I've never seen the HD555 in person, but the new ones seem to be made from a softer, better plastic.

Thanks, I thought you couldn't mod the 558's but nevermind, Have you listened to any other audiophile headphones and do they compete with them well.
Does the sound sound very boring or enjoyable and how comfy are these?

Nov 9, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #9 of 10
No, my experience is rather limited, I've only had lower-end Sennheiser cans until now, but they've been quite a mixed bunch. The HD558, however, is the only one until now that really satisfies me. All of the others had problems I've picked up on (muddy sound, distorted bass, anemic bass, resonance, grainy sound) and so couldn't really enjoy them - that's why I'm here today, owning the HD558. 

To me, they are really good cans and I've been enjoying the sound more and more lately, instead of focusing on how the headphones sound. I used to do that because of the above-mentioned flaws, but with these I just enjoy the music. It's a bit hard to explain, really. I just feel like these cans do so much right and so little wrong, so I'm not really tempted to look further and dissect the way they sound or how they could be better. If you're into this hobby looking to enjoy sound, I'm sure you will find the HD558s great.

The sound is not boring, that much is sure. It's not very "in your face" either. They're quite spacious in their presentation, yet the sound does not seem distant at any time. They have a certain presence, a way of making the sound envelop you. Sometimes I think they could need a very slight bump in the mids, but that's just because I've been using mid-centric headphones for almost a year (HD448 and PX200-II). The slightly emphasized bass and highs do make for a more fun and enjoyable sound, though.

Againt, take all these opinions as you will. I like everything about these headphones, really, but I might be horribly wrong in considering good for anyone else. As always, try to listen to them first, if at all possible. If not, wait for graphs, charts and reviews by more experienced folks. 

Oh, and they're very comfy, yet really secure fitting. The earpads might get a bit hot and itchy after a few hours, but 5 minutes of silence is good for your hearing.
For the record, I've been listening to a lot of Lamb of God these days and these cans really deliver when it comes to metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back