Sennheiser 280 vs. 555
Apr 17, 2008 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

berndawg3

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I need some help picking out headphones. I will most likely be pairing them up with a Prelude. I will have the Prelude connected to a Sony HT, but I'm not sure if I should use that as an amp, just straight out the prelude, or a dedicated headphone amp that is <$50 that someone could recommend. Anyways, on to the real question. I know the 555's are open and the 280's closed, but this is my first dive into high-quality audio. They will be used in my room for HTPC, music, and gaming. It'd be great not to have sound leaking out as to not bother my roomate, but he also said he'd be okay if a little noise was leaked by my headphones. I'm curious as to how much the headphones will leak noise. Second, how much better is the sound on the 555's being open? I've always heard it's better, but I'm wondering if it's leagues better. Which would you recommend?

I'm really new into the audio world, so I'm also open to all suggestions and advice you guys can give me.

Apr 17, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by berndawg3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They will be used in my room for HTPC, music, and gaming. It'd be great not to have sound leaking out as to not bother my roomate, but he also said he'd be okay if a little noise was leaked by my headphones.

Between these two, you will want the HD280 since it will keep much of the sound from leaking out. Open cans like the HD555 make no effort to keep the sound from leaking out, and I'm sure that will exceed your roommate's requirement of "a little noise". If not the HD280, then you'll want some other closed cans that are known for not leaking much sound out. Making your budget known for this purchase will help others offer appropriate suggestions.

Apr 17, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #3 of 17
with the 555's, you can definatley pick out the lyrics even when you aren't quite loud....

however they sound much better than the hd280's do

and i also think that for listening to music the 280's aren't that spectacular

Apr 17, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #4 of 17
Thanks 1Time. I think you're probably right on going with the closed cans, but my own curiosity would like to know the sound difference of the two. My budget is about $100 and I would consider a cheap amp around $50ish. As always, cheaper is better, but if something is miles better and is only $125, I'd shoot for that.

Apr 17, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #5 of 17
they dont leak loud enough to really annoy. they will be less loud even at full volume compared to a little pc speaker. you should be fine with the 555. closed headphone tradeoff in sound is not worth it in this price range among the cans I heard

Apr 17, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #6 of 17
i am quite disappointed with the 280s i am sure there are better closed headphones in the same price range. I have a pair of hd495 open headphones and there is a night and day difference in sound quality. I think both of the cans i have are in the same price range, and i much prefer the sound of the open sound, but they leak so much that i am forced to use my hd280s when the roommate is trying to sleep so its kind of a trade-off hopefully someone can recommend you some better closed cans

Apr 17, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #7 of 17
Avoid the HD280. Horrible headphone. Consider an Audio-Technica option if the closed back is important.

Apr 17, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #8 of 17
As mentioned, the 555's make no effort to keep the sound in, they have annoyed my room mates to no end when I don't realise quite how much they can leak as I turn it up and up, so keep that in mind. Other than that I can't fault them.

Apr 17, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #10 of 17
Thanks for the help so far guys. I've heard good things about the ATH's before. How do they compare to the 555? I really want to get open phones, I'm just afraid of annoying the hell out of my roomate.

Apr 17, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #12 of 17
Denon AH-D1001K or AH-D1000

Apr 17, 2008 at 8:27 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Thanks for the help so far guys. I've heard good things about the ATH's before. How do they compare to the 555? I really want to get open phones, I'm just afraid of annoying the hell out of my roomate.

You definitely will annoy the hell out of your roommate with the HD555 or any open cans, and probably with closed cans that leak more than many like the D1000 is reported to do. After reading a few reviews of the A700 and ES7, I think the ES7 would be better for you your uses and it too can be bought for right at $125 shipped. I really liked the HD555, but either of these Audio-Technica cans would compare nicely to the HD555 with many preferring them. There's no reason to automatically expect open cans to sound better than closed because it is not always so. And in your situation, you will regret buying open cans that are used at even normal volumes let alone if you like to turn up the volume any. And besides not bothering your roommate, another advantage with closed cans is you will be less likely to be distracted by him or her.

Apr 17, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #14 of 17
Okay, so I'm convinced now I need closed cans. I've been reading up on some user reviews and some people still say the 280's are better than the ATH-A700, but I'm more inclined to believe you guys and go with the ATH-A700s. Should that be my first choice for closed cans under $125? How do they compare to the ES7s? Sound-wise and comfort-wise? Thanks all

Apr 17, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Okay, so I'm convinced now I need closed cans. I've been reading up on some user reviews and some people still say the 280's are better than the ATH-A700, but I'm more inclined to believe you guys and go with the ATH-A700s. Should that be my first choice for closed cans under $125? How do they compare to the ES7s? Sound-wise and comfort-wise? Thanks all

I've had the HD280 and it has its uses, but sells for about $65 shipped as compared to these AT cans selling for $125 shipped. That should tell you something right there as to how they compare. I don't recommend the HD280 for your uses, especially since you have a budget of $125 and may be amping. There are a couple other closed cans that get mentioned as being preferred to the HD280 that are less expensive than the AT cans, but I don't remember exactly what they are. One is a Sony and the other I think is a Koss. But I would only suggest seeking them out if needing to spend closer to $75 shipped. Between the A700 and ES7, I suspect it would be more a matter of preference than one being obviously better for everyone than the other. And from the reviews I've read on each, they are liked and I think the ES7 "may" be the better choice for your purposes. If you've narrowed down your choices, you may want to start a "poll" thread with your few choices and ask Head-Fiers which they think would be best for your uses and price range. Be sure to mention your price range for the amp you likely will be using.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back