Sennheiser 19545 pads on Grado phones
Dec 6, 2002 at 3:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

dfarina

500+ Head-Fier
There has been some talk recently about using these pads on Grado phones,but it seems to cause your ear to make contact with the phones when you cut a hole in the center.I have tried reversing the pad,and it now keeps the phones about the same distance away from your ears as the Grado flat pads,but with very good comfort,and at the same time,taming the highs.I have a few pics to illustrate.
Dave

Dec 6, 2002 at 4:57 AM Post #5 of 46
Thanks for the pictures.
I actually have those pads, but haven't figured out the best way to put them on my SR-80s.

Your pictures finally made it all come together.

Thanks again,

Tim

Dec 6, 2002 at 5:33 AM Post #6 of 46
No problem Tim.Here is a pic of it off the phone.The hole I cut was a little larger than the one it came with on the opposite side.The easiest way to make a hole is to get a large socket the size of the hole you want to cut,put it on a flat surface,and wack it a couple of good ones,and you have a perfect hole.

Dec 7, 2002 at 2:22 AM Post #7 of 46
THANKS!!! Thats an awesome idea. I had the same problem you mentioned, modded it touches my ears and bothers me. Since then I kept using mine stock, but it slightly veils the sound. What size socket did you use?
cool.gif

Dec 7, 2002 at 2:28 AM Post #8 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by sacd lover
THANKS!!! Thats an awesome idea. I had the same problem you mentioned, modded it touches my ears and bothers me. Since then I kept using mine stock, but it slightly veils the sound. What size socket did you use?
cool.gif

I used a 33mm socket,but it does not have to be exact.My phones are new and still breaking in,so I would be ancious to here what you guys think of the sound this way.
Dave

Dec 7, 2002 at 3:05 AM Post #9 of 46
I think this is a fantastic mod!!!

-I have tried the RadioShack pads with a hole cut out of the middle.
-I've tried the sock mod.
-I previously settled on the bowl pads with the radioshack pads underneath. The shack pads added to the comfort of the phones, and the sound was decent.

I bought the Senn 19545 pads, but wasn't sure what to do with them - I wasn't sure if I wanted to cut a hole in them... until I saw this post.

This is the best the phones have sounded! The pads have a good density, but are soft. (The Radioshack pads are very thin and flimsy and the stock bowl pads are pretty rough). This mod is very comfortable, and the sound is great. The pads obviously rest directly against the ears, but the hole in the middle creates a wonderful pocket. I believe this accomplishes better what the bowl pads set out to do. This "sonic" pocket has opened up the sound of the phones. The bass is deeper, the soundstage wider, and the music carries more impact. In addition, the clarity of the music is maintained since there is nothing covering up the drivers except the original mesh screen.
To me it's made as much difference with the Grados as finding a good seal made with the Etys. This mod has brought out the most complete sound I've heard from my 80s.

Thanks Dave for posting these pictures to help me do the mod correctly!!

-Tim

Dec 7, 2002 at 3:14 AM Post #10 of 46
Very nice! I didn't have the driver contact issue, but reversing the pad seems to increase detail and imaging without the obnoxious high end of the bowl pads.

Dec 7, 2002 at 3:36 AM Post #11 of 46
Where do I get a socket? If I can get the hole perfectly round then thats what I want.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

Dec 7, 2002 at 3:43 AM Post #12 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
Where do I get a socket? If I can get the hole perfectly round then thats what I want.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

I am just referring to a regular tool socket 30-32 mm,it just makes a perfectly round hole,no fuss,no chance to mess up with a knife
cool.gif

Dec 7, 2002 at 5:27 AM Post #14 of 46
where can i get the Sennheiser 19545 pads? I didn't see them for sale on headroom's accesories page. and thanks for the tip

Users who are viewing this thread

Back