Sennheiesr HD 650 Vs Hifiman He-400
Dec 18, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #106 of 120
Many thanks for all the replies. I think the HE-400 is the way to go. Speakerwise, I prefer a slightly analytical voicing (I own a pair of Audio Physic Virgos), so most probably the HE-400 would make a better choice. As already noted, maybe I should get both, or maybe an HE-300 and an HE-400?
What about amplification and DAC? Do you think a Schiit Vali/Modi stack would make a good choice?

Dec 18, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #107 of 120
  Many thanks for all the replies. I think the HE-400 is the way to go. Speakerwise, I prefer a slightly analytical voicing (I own a pair of Audio Physic Virgos), so most probably the HE-400 would make a better choice. As already noted, maybe I should get both, or maybe an HE-300 and an HE-400?
What about amplification and DAC? Do you think a Schiit Vali/Modi stack would make a good choice?

Don't waste your money on the HE-300 if you're getting a HE-400. HE-400 is a clear upgrade.

If you have the cash to get em both, consider jumping to the HE-500!!!!

Vali/Modi stack seems solid (tho I don't have it).

Dec 18, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #108 of 120
hahaha they are obviously both stellar headphones & you can't go wrong w/ either. imma total he400 fanboyy tho :cool:

if i had to throw a dig against the he400 is that they can sound silibant for female vocals on certain recordings, but that is more the fault of the source. so i wouldn't be able to say female vocals = he400 even i love my he400s. forgiving-ness is sometimes an important factor to consider.
True that. I love my he-400's so much that my hd650's are sitting on my cabinet as a decoration! LMAO :)
i would think it may be better to get the hd600 to complement the he400 than the hd650. (impo)

Dec 28, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #110 of 120
I'd personally go with the 650s, but that might be because I love their dark sound for instrumental jazz and how they handle opera and leider. If you can't get enough bass and want something that isn't as finnicky about amping then the Hifiman is probably the way to go.

Jan 17, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #112 of 120
One thing to consider is that HifiMan has a bit of a problem with QC.

They seem to have sorted that out, and I only rarely hear about QC issues. I think they are quite comparable to most other brands.

Jan 21, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #113 of 120
Hi there.

I'm undecided between this two headphones.
Actually I've got a pair of HD598 amplified with a Matrix M-Stage V2. I've bought this amp for the upgrade that I'm going to do. 

I listen only metal and rock and I've understand, reading on this thread, that HE400 are more energetic with great bass while HD650 are more dark but more "all rounder". 

I think I will buy a used unit in both case. My budget is around 250€-300€.

Thanks 

Jan 21, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #114 of 120
An not sure if the mstage synergises well with hd650, as it is said to be a warm/dark amp. Not that I know. From what you describe the he400 seems more up your alley, but wait for the good deals as Hifiman are to release new phones, and I am sure there'll be a bunch of people selling their he400 to try the new headphones. At good prices hopefully.

Jan 21, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #115 of 120
An not sure if the mstage synergises well with hd650, as it is said to be a warm/dark amp. Not that I know. From what you describe the he400 seems more up your alley, but wait for the good deals as Hifiman are to release new phones, and I am sure there'll be a bunch of people selling their he400 to try the new headphones. At good prices hopefully.

Thanks for reply. I've found he400 for 340€ New from a temporary deal at one official reseller.

I've also found senn hd600 used for only 100€ and this seems to be a really good deal

Jan 21, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #116 of 120
  Hi there.

I'm undecided between this two headphones.
Actually I've got a pair of HD598 amplified with a Matrix M-Stage V2. I've bought this amp for the upgrade that I'm going to do. 

I listen only metal and rock and I've understand, reading on this thread, that HE400 are more energetic with great bass while HD650 are more dark but more "all rounder". 

I think I will buy a used unit in both case. My budget is around 250€-300€.

Thanks 

I agree. I like the HE400 for great bass and clarity as I listen to heavy metal. I haven't tried the 650 though :/ 

Jan 26, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #118 of 120
Exciting!

Mar 1, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #119 of 120
Hi, new to this site, searched for some threads regarding the Hifiman He-400 , and found this thread.

I own Sennheiser HD 650, used to have 600 ,  have a pair of he-400 here now, running it through a digidesign soundcard.

Not sure what it is, but honestly ive listened to lots of pop tracks , electronic music , and so on.

It sounds like a raccoon inside a box squeezing out sound.

It has very nice sub bass, accurate bass, but I dont like the treble at all and it feels so .. not sure "hollow" if thats a way to describe it.

Maybe the more expensive ones sound better, but I was so disappointed when I heard them.

I was so excited at first , my friend told me that I had to hear them and that he loved them so much, he loves hi-fi / music aswell as me
and we have kinda the same taste in music, but this was disappointing.

But, it kinda depends what you like in a headphone,

- Lars

Users who are viewing this thread

Back