Senneiser MX550?
Jul 18, 2004 at 3:02 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by donovansmith
And that they may not work so well out of the portable equipment they are intended to be used with. The lower the impedence, the more current required to drive them which won't be a good thing for portable equipment. My Sony MDR-E829V suffer from this problem, being 16 ohm my iRiver IMP-350 has difficulty driving them but they sound great from an amp.

Actually, 16-ohm buds will produce louder sound than 32-ohm buds. But since portable players have a chronically low current output capacity, the bass response will roll off noticeably with 16-ohm buds.

Jul 18, 2004 at 3:49 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by einolu
I really dont get why they cant make them more comfortable, that design just doesnt fit into the ear! I wonder if they will ever create something along the line of the sony 868/888s
rolleyes.gif

~EO

Same problem here. The Sennheiser earbuds actually start to hurt my ears after couple of hours of use. The Sony E888 look pretty annoying too as do all classic earbuds nowadays. Actually I don't think I'll ever go back to those from the ear canal models. The Sony EX51 and EX71 are so much more comfortable in my ears that I gladly take the bass-heavy sound.

Jul 18, 2004 at 7:32 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihmemies
So this means that it would be better to buy MX500 instead of MX550? I was also considering Shure E2C since they are only 44euros (discount price) at the moment. My player, Nextway NMP-612 (http://nextway.rhas.co.kr/english/product/nmp_612t.htm) should arrive next week, and since the included headphones will suck, I need new ones. I also heard that The Plugs would be decent with some modding. I really don't know what to buy
frown.gif

Where can you get for 44 euros the Shure e2c?

Jul 18, 2004 at 7:57 PM Post #20 of 30
Indeed where are the Shures so cheap? That's like half the normal price. Might buy a pair for 44e just to know what I'm missing when I'm using the Sony EX51
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 18, 2004 at 9:55 PM Post #21 of 30
I saw them in Jens of Sweden's webshop...

http://www.jensofsweden.com/store/default.asp?base=7

399sek=~44eur

The only problem is that they seem to only sell them to Sweden. I asked about international shipping but it's hard to get an answer during weekend. Hopefully I get some kind of answer tomorrow
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 18, 2004 at 10:27 PM Post #22 of 30
Well, you can always buy another pair and send them to me.

Obviously i will pay you the product + shipping
smily_headphones1.gif
... i dont think it will be more than 70 euros
wink.gif

Jul 18, 2004 at 11:08 PM Post #24 of 30
I think they look much better than the 300/400/500;
the metal grid reminds indeed of old Sony earbuds, but I like that design very much

I hope the prices are as low as the mx400 are: they are 14 € or so in Germany; at that price you can buy both and do a - b

there´s also a MX350

Jul 19, 2004 at 7:48 AM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jung
Sony NC11.

They cost like 130e... and are Sony. Are those noise cancellation headphones _really_ worth it? Those require also 1xAAA battery (no idea what for)...

Jul 19, 2004 at 12:24 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

They cost like 130e... and are Sony. Are those noise cancellation headphones _really_ worth it? Those require also 1xAAA battery (no idea what for)...

To produce the sound wave that cancels the outside waves. Just guessing.

Also the webstore has changed the Shure E2c price to 899sek, so no bargain there.
frown.gif

Jul 19, 2004 at 3:54 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

You mentioned Koss Plug. I assumed that you want to block outside noise. I have both Koss Plug and Sony EX70. EX70 is better than Plug in every way, noise blocking, ear comfort, and sound quality. If EX71 is too expensive, you can consider EX51.

NC11 is EX71 plus active noise cancelling. Active noise cancelling works well at low frequency, while ear plug type blocks more high frequency. The street price of NC11 is about $90, not more expensive than other good noise cancelling phones. So the active cancelling costs $50 more than EX71. It's up to you whether the $50 is worthwhile, or whether you must have the additional noise cancelling.

For me, if I don't want noise blocking, I use Sennheiser 580. But most times I want to block out some noise. So I only use my 580 for reference now.

Jul 19, 2004 at 4:40 PM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jung
You mentioned Koss Plug. I assumed that you want to block outside noise. I have both Koss Plug and Sony EX70. EX70 is better than Plug in every way, noise blocking, ear comfort, and sound quality. If EX71 is too expensive, you can consider EX51.

Ok. NC11 is out of question then, since I don't think those noice cancellation things are very reliable. Better just buy good isolation phones. Seems I have three alternatives left:

1. Sony EX71 [52e here]
2. Shure E2C 2 [95e]
3. Etymotic ER-6 (no idea how expensive they are)

I mostly listen to metal
evil_smiley.gif
, rarely rock/industrial, drum&bass and other. I would really like to buy ones under 100eur, but max is 200e if the price is really justified.

Also I don't prefer buying an amplifier for those tiny in-ear earphones. I understand if I need one with HD650, not with some thumbnail sized little phones. The main problem is that I Finland. Prices are pretty high here, so any cheap and reliable Internet shops inside EU would be very nice indeed :|

Jul 19, 2004 at 4:43 PM Post #29 of 30
Personally, I don't care for the NC11/EX71 sound. It's very bass-heavy, but it's a very bloated and muddy bass.

Both the E2c and the Etys are generally favorably reviewed here.

Jul 19, 2004 at 9:43 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Ok. NC11 is out of question then, since I don't think those noice cancellation things are very reliable. Better just buy good isolation phones.

Passive ear plug phones do not block low frequency well. NC11 has both passive isolation to block high frequency, and active cancelling for low frequency.

Quote:

Seems I have three alternatives left:
1. Sony EX71 [52e here]
2. Shure E2C 2 [95e]
3. Etymotic ER-6 (no idea how expensive they are)

Actually there are more options
frown.gif

ER6 is not cheap. I'd spend more and go for the best, ER4, if not for its microphonic cable.

If you must have Etymotic sound and don't want to spend more money for ER4, then there is the new ER6i, which is smaller than ER6, and can be more comfortable.

The Sony's are most comfortable. You can try EX51 to listen to the Sony sound for yourself while not spending too much.

NC11 is also an option as explained above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back