Senn`s HD 555 or something else ??
Feb 26, 2007 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

icediz

New Head-Fier
OK here is the thing...

This would be my first purchase of a higher class headphones so I need some help. I listen mostly Rock music, i want punchy and deep bass, clear vocals and crisp highs :)
I would conncect them directly to my X-Fi without an amp...

- I was thinking of buying HD 555 but then I`ve read some reviews where people say that they are more Home entertainment focused phones (for movies...) and that they aren`t that good for music (lack of bass ???)

- If HD 555 in your epinion aren`t what I`m looking for which pair of Sennheiser headphones would you recommend in that price range ( 140 eur max )

Thnx guys :)

Feb 26, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #2 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by icediz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK here is the thing...

This would be my first purchase of a higher class headphones so I need some help. I listen mostly Rock music, i want punchy and deep bass, clear vocals and crisp highs :)

- I was thinking of buying HD 555 but then I`ve read some reviews where people say that they are more Home entertainment focused phones (for movies...) and that they aren`t that good for music (lack of bass ???)

- If HD 555 in your epinion aren`t what I`m looking for which pair of Sennheiser headphones would you recommend in that price range ( 140 eur max )

Thnx guys :)

I had the hd555 for some time. They definitely DO NOT lack bass. But then again, I gave it to my cousin, and he says that they do. LOL. O.K., sorry for the confusion=] Here's my comparison between the dt770/80(which has lots of bass) and the hd555. Maybe that will help ya a little bit
smily_headphones1.gif

p.s. I guess it depends on how much bass you like. Good luck=]

Feb 26, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #4 of 43
Quote:

Oh yeah :) And what do you think of HD 212 pro...

Ehhh Sorry, never heard that headphone before. Someone else can chime in on that one
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 26, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #5 of 43
I and many others here have started with the HD555s. I can tell you now, you will love them if its your first pair real headphones. They are going to open a whole new world of sound. That being said, they also going to open a door to your wallet =) cause you going to want more and better afterwards. I tried to fight it in the begining, but couldnt take this hobbies AWESOME power. I folded and spent the money, which i didnt and dont have hahahaa.

Now, another thing is that i see you posted you love rock music. Might i recommend you look into the grado line before you jump the gun on the HD555s? For rock, honestly there is nothing nicer then a good grado. The crispness of the highs, the subtle mids and the decent impact of bass sure brings out the best of rock. I have had the HD555s and now the woody upgrade 580s and still can safely say i like my MS1s over them for rock type music. Not all, but most. The only thing that i think you will notice is that most of the grados are not very bassey...I mean, the bass is there, impact is ok...but its nothing like my 580s. They are much more boomy, however, much more darker sounding also.

Finally, the Xfi should be able to push both the HD555s and the mid range grado line. However a amp is always a nice thing to have. Even a small CMOY is nice and can be had for 50-100$, sometimes even cheaper. I would look into that and play around with it. Maybe get one like mine where you can swap the opamps and change the sound. Just a suggestion, as i tell everyone...amp isnt required, its recommended.

Feb 26, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #6 of 43
Quote:

Oh yeah :) And what do you think of HD 212 pro...

They're ok, but don't open up a new world of sound, as they don't supply much detail and are pretty inexpensive to the HD555.

If you wanted a cheap mid-priced can that suits your bass and "new sound" needs to compare to, look up the EH350. Not as good as the 555's but excellent if you wanna save $$ and like that extra bass. Not to mention they have good detail too.

But the EH350's are "slightly above average" compared to the HD555. If you want really good sound do look up the 555's. You won't be disappointed.

Feb 26, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #7 of 43
I've got the hd555. They're pretty good headphones, but are not worth 140
euro. However if you get them cheap on ebay (70-90 euros?) then I would
recommend them.

As for your requirements;
'I listen mostly Rock music',
I found the hd555 more suited to ballads. Their main fault is their lack of vim and energy which is a flaw if heavy/punk rock is your favourite style.

'I want punchy and deep bass'
In terms of bass, these have quite strong bass compared to many other 'high
end' headphones, but will probably seem quite shy if you are used to gaming
style headphones, which exaggerate the bass, because the hd555 are
(comparatively) balanced. However if you plug them into your receiver/amp
and turn the bass up you will discover they are capable technically of delivering stupid amounts of bass. However it is never what I would describe as 'punchy'.

'clear vocals and crisp highs'
Vocals, especially male is one of the main strengths of these phones. However the highs are not crisp by any description. I found them veiled to the point of being muffled when I first got them. You get used to it but if highs are important to you then perhaps you should look elsewhere.

Summary:
Plus:
Good value if purchased second hand/cheap.
Good Soundstage.
Softens Overly harsh music/recordings.
Respond well to equalization.
Comfy.

Minus:
Lifeless and muffled at times.

Feb 26, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #8 of 43
I have the HD555. I JUST received the SR225 and I am currently listening to them. Dissapointed as I cant remember. I say go for the HD555. They are absolutely great! I really dont know how they could be described as lifeless. The bass sounds very nice, but it is not overpowered at all.

If you bring to the picture the fact I Just paid 200USD for the SR225 and only $95 for the HD555...it's sad!

I must say that I dont listen to ANY heavy rock really. I think the heaviest I have here in my laptop is Dream on by Aerosmith
smily_headphones1.gif
. HD555s are better! Flame away now. I am a noob and I am just saying what I hear.

Feb 26, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #10 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by alitomr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the HD555. I JUST received the SR225 and I am currently listening to them. Dissapointed as I cant remember. I say go for the HD555. They are absolutely great! I really dont know how they could be described as lifeless. The bass sounds very nice, but it is not overpowered at all.

If you bring to the picture the fact I Just paid 200USD for the SR225 and only $95 for the HD555...it's sad!

I must say that I dont listen to ANY heavy rock really. I think the heaviest I have here in my laptop is Dream on by Aerosmith
smily_headphones1.gif
. HD555s are better! Flame away now. I am a noob and I am just saying what I hear.

Well, It's all about what you like I'd say I am pretty surprised since I always hear how Grados are sooo good at rock. Lately it has had me thinking my HD580 might not be for me since I listen to mostly rock.

edit: I almost forgot to talk about the HD555 they were my first true headphones that basically made me want more I highly recommend them you also may want to try out some Grados

Feb 26, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #12 of 43
Quote:

I listen mostly Rock music, i want punchy and deep bass, clear vocals and crisp highs :)

I think the bass is fine (a tad muddy perhaps) but in my opinion the HD555 is not particularly crisp or good at vocals. Not sure what else to suggest in the price range though.

Feb 26, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by skellington /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grados are a non-option for European buyers. They are vastly overpriced for us compared to the European makes. Even with Alessandro you have to pay hefty import duties.

ahh, my bad what if he bought them used though? from someone on head-fi

Feb 27, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #15 of 43
I found my HD555's to be "veiled" when I heard them, but now I just think it's very balanced compared to my old sony earphones. Could do with a bit more bass now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back