Senn PX200 - WOW!
Nov 25, 2002 at 6:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

mtillman

100+ Head-Fier
My search is over - the wallet is now closed!

I felt the need for something better than the MX500 for portable use. Surely there is something better than the lowly MXs, right?

Well, I'm now finally convinced that there is not currently an ear bud better than these (unless the sound of the ER6 is in no way whatsoever related to the sound of the ER4 - I hated the ER6).

The KSC 35 is not available anymore, the KSC 50 doesn't really cut it, apparently - but wait, what about those AT EM7s?

Yikes - not for me, even though initial impressions were favourable, and they're beautifully engineered. They're for sale now but it looks as though I'm going to have to drop the price... Hmm, 87usd down the toilet.

So these new Senns are the dogs danglies, eh?, according to initial reports. Seems I've heard that kind of thing before.

But wait, I'm one up on you Yankees, being a Brit. Sennheisers get here first, and at good prices too. BWAHAHAHA!!!

So this morning before work I wandered up the Tottenham Court Road. I was Ask Electronic's first punter. I had my MX500s ready, together with SlimX and Amazing Blondel's Restoration CD with stunningly low organ on track 1 and crystal clear vocals and other instruments. Well, I didn't need to listen to the MXs to compare. The organ sounds really good on the MX500s, though of course it's better on the HD600s. On the PX200s it was really, really fab (though I wouldn't say better than the 600s). And the clarity of the rest was there too - possibly smoother than the 500s and a bit more forward than the 600s (which is no bad thing). It took all of thirty seconds to know the search was finally over. (Apparently these Senns have been available over here for a couple of weeks or so. Such a shame I didn't hear about them before the EM7s).

I didn't try the open PX100s - I wanted something for the train (and home, when other people don't want the transistor radio effects from my HD600s). The 200s didn't sound closed in at all to me, they sounded just right, so even if the 100s are 'better', I don't need to know.

I would definitely have preferred ear clips to a headband - as long as they were comfortable and the phones themselves were kept securely in the right position. But I suppose leakage would be worse. There is virtually no leakage at all from the PX200s even when very (but not deafeningly) loud. And they're very comfortable. I found the EM7s clip end pressed a bit to hard and became annoying after an hour or so.

All I need now is a week long residential course on how to fold the 200s up in less than 15 minutes.

(Er, there isn't anything better than HD600s, is there...? Surely not... No, there can't be....................)

Nov 25, 2002 at 6:52 PM Post #2 of 58
Cool! I've been hoping something would come along to replace my mx500 (my KSC50 sound better, but just leak too much sound...). So, how much do they cost (in usd)?

Nov 25, 2002 at 11:45 PM Post #5 of 58
Is there bass? How much bass? Too much? Too little?

How about sending a pair to one of those "Yankees"?
biggrin.gif

Nov 26, 2002 at 2:53 AM Post #7 of 58
wow. sounds like they're a pretty damn good set of cans for the price. now i'll probably have to wait another year and pay 1.5 to 2x the price to get them here in aus
frown.gif
(i'm yet another person searching for the ultimate portable cans)

Nov 26, 2002 at 7:54 AM Post #9 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
what no picture?

I know - lame, innit? (No digital camera. All spare cash spent on phones...)

Still, the pics in Jude's thread do them enough justice.

Nov 26, 2002 at 7:36 PM Post #13 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by LTUCCI1924
Radiohead
HI: Have you compaired the PX200 to the koss-35 or portapro?

Hi - I haven't I'm afraid. I've never been able to find any locally....

Nov 26, 2002 at 7:43 PM Post #14 of 58
Radiohead
HI: Is there any can you can compare the PX200 to so we can get an Idea of what to expect? I noticed that you gave a big WOW. What was that WOW compared to?
PS
Is there any site selling the PX200 that we can buy from over there?

Nov 26, 2002 at 8:35 PM Post #15 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by Radiohead
mtillman - I said they were good didn't I?

You did - and you weren't wrong!

And thanks for the tip about availability
wink.gif

Quote:

Pierre - I've been using these for a few days on trains now - they are excellent for isolation.

Agreed also.

The isolation doesn't seem that promising when you put them on but once the music starts all but the loudest noises off are unnoticeable - and because they are so leak resistant I don't worry at all about how loud I play the music.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back