Senn PX100
Jan 3, 2006 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

corksta

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys

My first post here, so hello!

Anyway, just writing to inform you about how impressed I am with the PX100 headphones. Just received them today. I just wanted a decent brand set of cans to use with my psp. The stock psp in ears were, well crap! I wasn't expecting much from a set of cans costing £23. I plugged them in to my stereo to 'burn them in' and whacked them on my head! Wow, straight from the box they sound good. I got the same kinda of feeling I got when I heard MJ's 'Off The Wall' LP when my Dad played it to me on his Rega Planar 3 years ago. I forgot how good headphones can sound!

All the best

corksta

Jan 3, 2006 at 3:22 PM Post #2 of 18
The PX100's really impressed me too for what they are. Amazingly open sound that really shines on most materials. Though I wouldn't say they're any indication of how good headphones can sound, they're pretty darned good for their price, size, constructions, etc.

Jan 3, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadKase
The PX100's really impressed me too for what they are. Amazingly open sound that really shines on most materials. Though I wouldn't say they're any indication of how good headphones can sound, they're pretty darned good for their price, size, constructions, etc.

Agreed about any indication of sound, but I'm so used to stock bundled headphones that I forgot how good a decent set can sound. I used to have a pair of Sennheiser's years ago, don't remember model no.(green earpeice with a sponge lining), but they sounded great too.

Jan 5, 2006 at 5:09 PM Post #5 of 18
I have to agree that the PX100s are pretty awesome sounding cans for the price.

I have a pair and have ordered the HD414 Pads to do the PX100 Mod as noted in http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ght=px100+lisa

Check out this awesome mod for the PX100, some Head-Fi'ers who have done it say the sound quality gets pretty close to the HD6xx.

Jan 5, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #6 of 18
I am also thinking of picking up a pair of PX100's. To me, they are sort of like miniature 650's, where as I can have that Senn sound anywhere I go, without lugging around my big 650's!
600smile.gif

Jan 5, 2006 at 5:41 PM Post #7 of 18
Finzup, your link doesn't work.
frown.gif

And cheechoz, if the px100 is like a mini hd6xx, what is the hd-25? I know one is open and one is closed but still, the hd-25 sounds pretty damn good.

Anyway, now I'm tempted to buy a pair of px100's. That'd make 3 pairs of portable phone's though. HD-25, e2c and px100.

Jan 5, 2006 at 6:10 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by IndieRokker
Finzup, your link doesn't work.
frown.gif

And cheechoz, if the px100 is like a mini hd6xx, what is the hd-25? I know one is open and one is closed but still, the hd-25 sounds pretty damn good.

Anyway, now I'm tempted to buy a pair of px100's. That'd make 3 pairs of portable phone's though. HD-25, e2c and px100.

I wouldn't know, I never heard the HD-25, but I am hoping to, sooner or later!

Now you have me thinking of those to! I am looking for a good portable, that is not an IEM!

Jan 5, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #9 of 18
yes i was quite impressed with such budget priced headphones as well when i listen to a smart friend who purchased a pair. waaaaaay more balanced than my XD400's, and much much clearer.

Jan 5, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #10 of 18
confused.gif

Sorry IndieRokker, try this http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ferrerid=34996

Hopefully this link works. If not, use "Search" to look for "How to make PX100s into high end headphones! (pics inside)". I am a newby so I am learning how to do things in the posts.
biggrin.gif

Jan 5, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #11 of 18
hi,

i'm interested in the px range, but i was looking for something with a closed structure. However i've heard that the px200s are alot worse than the px100s cause they don't give a good seal and muddy the bass? is this true? is it not worth getting the 200s?

orfeo

Jan 5, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #12 of 18
The PX 100 brought me to these fine boards!
smily_headphones1.gif

I was looking for a pair of decent yet inexpensive headphones for my new 5g Ipod and picked up the PX 200. Big mistake. There was a nice clarity in detail I could appreciate, but it was all midrange, absolutely no bass and pretty tamed highs. On top of that they didn't fit right and were uncomfortable.

I exchanged them for the lower priced (39.99) PX 100 after reading about them here and on other boards and was pleasantly surprised (although I shouldn't have been after all the research). And even though some have mentioned that they're too bassy, to me through the Ipod the bass is actually perfect, very clear and punchy without sounding boomy. The best thing about them is they sound very smooth, almost neutral/flat but not sterile sounding (very musical).

Surprising that they cost $10 less than the PX 200 and they're so much better sounding. Getting the PX 100 and becoming a member here got me interested in headphones again so I'll probably upgrade to something better later on but for the price/performance of the PX 100 I'm 100% satisfied.

Jan 5, 2006 at 7:52 PM Post #13 of 18
I just got these in the mail about an hour ago. I ordered them for my sister, so replace her ipod earbuds on the new 5g she has(the ibuds hurt her ears bad). So I tried them out of course
biggrin.gif
to make sure that they worked. I too was quite suprised with how good they sounded. I also thought the responded to ipod EQ ok, which suprised me because the EQ on the ipod suck so bad. These headphones really did provide some nice sound. Really quite impressive for the price

Jan 5, 2006 at 7:58 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by orfeo
hi,

i'm interested in the px range, but i was looking for something with a closed structure. However i've heard that the px200s are alot worse than the px100s cause they don't give a good seal and muddy the bass? is this true? is it not worth getting the 200s?

orfeo

There's no knowing that for certain, as both the PX100 and the PX200 have been renewed lately, by adopting the same "CCAW" (copper clad aluminium wire) technology for the voice coils as the higher end models.

To be sure you're buying the newer versions (provided that you accept a minimum of risk since reliable impressions have yet to come, afaik), my suggestion would be to buy the white PX100/200.

Jan 5, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea

To be sure you're buying the newer versions (provided that you accept a minimum of risk since reliable impressions have yet to come, afaik), my suggestion would be to buy the white PX100/200.

I think someone that purchased the streetstyles PX100 mentioned the drivers were the newer type also.

I'm still curious about the new drivers... is it like going from PortaPro/KSC-35 to KSC-75?

Even going from KSC-35 to KSC-75 the sound is noticeably clearer due to less pronounced bass.

Not sure about the increased harshness in the new px100s though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back