Senn. MX400/500 frequency response?
Jun 3, 2004 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

eshylay

New Head-Fier
Greetings!

I know this has already been asked to death already - but I'm still not convinced at the apparent answer
smily_headphones1.gif

A comparison between the Sennheiser MX400/500: consensus appears to be no difference in quality besides the aesthetic and the volume control.

But why does Sennheiser list a different frequency response for the two products?

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...sf/root/04854#
"Frequency response (headphones) 18.....22000 Hz" [MX500]

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...sf/root/04853#
"Frequency response (headphones) 18.....20000 Hz" [MX400]

Is this just marketing?

The reason I ask: I'm looking to purchase one or the other. The extra price for the 500s is acceptable to me if there -is- some [even minor] difference in sound quality. The volume control is of absolutely no importance to me.

Moral: If you're all really convinced that the technical specs of the 400's and 500's are the same [in spite of Sennheiser's claim] - then I'll save a few bucks and go with the 400's.

Unfortunately the store won't let me demo either pair.

Thanks for your time and for any suggestions.

- eshylay
eshylayNOSPAM@hotmail.com

Jun 3, 2004 at 9:47 PM Post #2 of 4
If anything, the MX400 would sound better because the in-line volume might degrade sound.
Don't worry, they're absolutely the same, the frequency response is just a marketing thing and is, btw, fully neglectable.

-Taurui

Jun 3, 2004 at 10:33 PM Post #3 of 4
Can you hear between 20000 and 22000Hz?
rolleyes.gif

For the $12 that MX400's go for, just buy a pair and enjoy them for the utilitarian, throw-in-your-bag-everyday, earbuds they are. Or if only the MX500's are available to you for some reason, get those for a few $$ more. Don't fret. Either are worth way more than the enjoyment you'll get out of them.

Jun 12, 2004 at 8:15 AM Post #4 of 4
Just wanted to say (a belated) thanks to the both of you for the advice. I ended up going with the MX400's and am quite pleased with them given their very respectable price.

In case anyone else ends up reading this and is interested, I can't compare them to any competing earbuds as such, but I can recommend them based on their own merits (again, particularly re: the price).

Kind regards,

eshylay
eshylayNOSPAM@hotmail.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back