Senn HD650 Problem - Buzzing with amp, not buzzing with only iPod
Mar 29, 2013 at 11:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

koreill1

New Head-Fier
Hey Guys,

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD650s that I picked up about a year ago.  I've been using them on my computer with a Nuforce uDAC-2 running into a LittleDot MK III amp.  They worked great for awhile, but now I'm having some confusing problems.

1) The left speaker was buzzing, and mostly playing only the lows, so I took the pads off to clean out any stray hairs/dust.  I found nothing, and when I plugged it back it, it worked.
2) Moments later, the right speaker started buzzing (same problem/sound), so I did the same.  I plugged it back in, and it still buzzed.
3) I plugged the headphones directly into an iPod, and cranked the volume - both speakers worked flawlessly.
4) When I plugged back into my computer/amp, the headphones worked great for about 2 seconds, then the right speaker started buzzing again.
5) I've been able to repeat 3 and 4 a couple times.

The LittleDot amp puts out 350mW of power at 300ohms (same resistance as the Senn 650s) - any idea if/why the amp may be causing this?

Thanks

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:
Hey Guys,

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD650s that I picked up about a year ago.  I've been using them on my computer with a Nuforce uDAC-2 running into a LittleDot MK III amp.  They worked great for awhile, but now I'm having some confusing problems.

1) The left speaker was buzzing, and mostly playing only the lows, so I took the pads off to clean out any stray hairs/dust.  I found nothing, and when I plugged it back it, it worked.
2) Moments later, the right speaker started buzzing (same problem/sound), so I did the same.  I plugged it back in, and it still buzzed.
3) I plugged the headphones directly into an iPod, and cranked the volume - both speakers worked flawlessly.
4) When I plugged back into my computer/amp, the headphones worked great for about 2 seconds, then the right speaker started buzzing again.

The LittleDot amp puts out 350mW of power at 300ohms (same resistance as the Senn 650s) - any idea if/why the amp may be causing this?

Thanks

Sounds like something is wrong with the speakers in the HD650's. Or the amp. Or DAC. lol.

Mar 29, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #4 of 10
I would try to eliminate items from your signal chain to isolate the problem.  Try:
Computer>uDac>650's 
Ipod>Little Dot MKIII>650's  

Mar 29, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #5 of 10
Are you plugging the amp into a grounded outlet? Try moving the amp around your house to different ones to see what happens. 

I also had that problem for a while before I realized what was going on. 

Mar 29, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #6 of 10
The headphone has the same buzzing problem whether it's plugged into the Amp, or into the DAC directly.

I have not tried to change the tubes, but since they have the same problem directly into the DAC, I'm not sure the tubes are the issue...

Mar 29, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
Hey Guys,

Thanks

The problem doesn't seem to be with the heaphones then.
The most common problem would be either a grounding issue with the DAC or Amp or a troublesome tube within the amp.

Mar 29, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
The problem doesn't seem to be with the heaphones then.
The most common problem would be either a grounding issue with the DAC or Amp or a troublesome tube within the amp.

Nailed it... It was a grounding issue with the DAC, which I found by removing the DAC from the equation and using iPod/Amp only.

Put the system back together and I'm back in audio bliss.

Thanks All!

Mar 29, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #10 of 10
Welcome to Headfi koreill1
Sorry about your grounding issue... erm wallet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back