Senn HD595 120ohm ??
Dec 13, 2005 at 5:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Trevor spencer

New Head-Fier
hi

im thinking of getting some new cans and was intersted in HD595 but all the ones ive seen for sale are 50ohms , where can you buy 120ohm ones and which ones are better

ill be using them with a laptop and bithead amp

also sometimes with a pioneer vsx1015 and denon 2900

Thanks

Dec 14, 2005 at 2:46 AM Post #2 of 8
I was wondering this too, as I am looking at getting some hd595's. I was wondering what the difference would be in the quality of the sound if they were 50 ohms or 120 ohms.

Apr 18, 2006 at 8:14 PM Post #4 of 8
There should not be any difference in sound. I'm awaiting delivery of a 120 ohm hd595 from Todd right now. He still has some old stock. I've been using a 50 ohm hd555 and I'm getting fed up with only being able to turn the volume knob on my amp between 7 and 9 o'clock on the dial. The greater resistance of the 120 ohm hd595 should give me a little more room to move, and the ability to better fine tune the volume.

The application should dictate which version you are going to get. Using it unamped, or both amped and unamped? Get the 50 ohm. Using an amp exclusively? The 120 ohm would be suitable, provided you can find one.

Apr 21, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #5 of 8
Hey, I listened to both the 50 and 120 ohm versions of the 555 at an electronics store in Berlin a couple of weeks ago, and though they were different colors and had very different prices (99 versus 139 euros, if memory serves), they sounded nearly identical to me. Of course that was off the crappy comparison-wall source, so perhaps a better rig would reveal some differences, but even then they would be minor. Certainly the 50-ohm 595s on the wall blew them away, but that's no surprise.

Apr 21, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murdoch
There should not be any difference in sound. I'm awaiting delivery of a 120 ohm hd595 from Todd right now. He still has some old stock. I've been using a 50 ohm hd555 and I'm getting fed up with only being able to turn the volume knob on my amp between 7 and 9 o'clock on the dial. The greater resistance of the 120 ohm hd595 should give me a little more room to move, and the ability to better fine tune the volume.

The application should dictate which version you are going to get. Using it unamped, or both amped and unamped? Get the 50 ohm. Using an amp exclusively? The 120 ohm would be suitable, provided you can find one.

I agree, there isn't much difference in terms of sound quality (I think they switched after some kind of factory fire no?) but if you're running amped the 120 ohm version, if you have or plan to get other high impedance cans, will allow you to swap between headphones without having your eardrums ruptured or having to constantly fiddle with the volume dial. Many people prefer the 50 ohm version though as it does not need to be amped.

Apr 21, 2006 at 12:41 PM Post #7 of 8
I'm not a fan of the 595, but I compared a 120 opm version with a 50 ohm version at the Headroom/Cinci meet many months ago. I found the 50 ohm version to sound significantly better than the 120 ohm version. I even prefered the 50 ohm stock cable to the 120 ohm w/cardas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back