Senn HD280 Pro award
Nov 3, 2002 at 5:36 PM Post #16 of 18
If the 280s are not for consumer use, what would your suggestion be for decent consumer phones. I will be mainly listening contemporary jazz (Yellow Jackets, Spyro Gyra, etc.) on a Yamaha receiver.

Nov 3, 2002 at 6:14 PM Post #17 of 18
Pssst.... some people really like the 280s. I've never heard them. But it appears to me that it's just another instance of people arguing until they're blue in the face over headphones that are head and shoulders above what you'd pick up by chance in a store. Some candidates from $50 to $100:

Senn HD 280s
Senn HD 497s
Grado SR 60s
Grado SR80s
Sony V6s

Each of these are first choice in headphones in this price range for some knowledgeable people. I wouldn't consider the purchase of any of these a mistake by any means. IMHO, it's only when you start comparing headphones of this quality side by side that you start to develop the kinds of preferences you see people arguing over here.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by sleverette
If the 280s are not for consumer use, what would your suggestion be for decent consumer phones. I will be mainly listening contemporary jazz (Yellow Jackets, Spyro Gyra, etc.) on a Yamaha receiver.

Nov 3, 2002 at 7:01 PM Post #18 of 18
I started this thread, but have wondered since I first posted the item, exactly what the "Outstanding Technical Achievement" might be.

I don't know enough about the technical aspects of headphones to understand what would constitute an outstanding technical achievement. Remember that the organization that made the award is for/of recording industry professionals.

Any gueses??

BTW, rereading the award news item and looking further through this issue, there is a review of the 280's, which I'll summarize and post here shortly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back