Senn HD280 Pro award
Nov 1, 2002 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

balcar

Head-Fier
Just read in Mix Magazine (Nov issue) that the Senn HD280 Pro's received an "Outstanding Technical Achievement" award in the "Ancillary Equipment" catagory from the 18th Annual Technical Excellence and Creativity Awards, a pro audio organization.

www.mixonline.com

Nov 2, 2002 at 11:36 AM Post #2 of 18
Strange...

Not taking anything away from them, because i've only had a brief listen, but I really couldn't get on with their splashy sound...

I guess as has been mentioned many times though, that these 'phones improve with age...

Thanks for the heads up
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 2, 2002 at 12:04 PM Post #4 of 18
It doesnt mean they are good to listen to. Duncan, my pair are quite old so they passed the optimal break in stage some time ago and they havent changed since then.

Nov 2, 2002 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 18
[size=medium]GRRR... HD 280 PRO...[/size]
mad.gif

The HD 280 Pro may have been among the best closed headphones in the $100 price range...
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

[size=medium]BUT...[/size]

The sound from the 280 just goes to show you how mediocre the sub-$150 closed headphone market REALLY is! They sound a bit honky, and lack detail compared to a pair of open-air headphones that sell for less $$$! And even many closed headphones that sell for much more than that can sound not-so-good for the price!

[size=medium]GRRRRRRRRRRR... CLOSED HEADPHONES...[/size]
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

That's how p***ed off I am! In fact, I'd rather deal with Parcel Force or *choke, choke* USPS than deal with the craptacular selection of closed headphones sold at most stores.
tongue.gif

P.S. Let's hope that a1leyez0nm3 doesn't read my mini-rant about closed headphones (this post)!
eek.gif

Nov 2, 2002 at 9:02 PM Post #6 of 18
Eagle...

The V6, DT250, and ~ in the UK the MDR-CD1700 all fall below $150, and I can't see that any of those are totally bad, are they?

Nov 2, 2002 at 10:59 PM Post #7 of 18
Duncan,

I used to own a pair of the MDR-CD1700, and I wasn't too impressed with its sound (though I bragged about how great it was when I first got it). At least not from the audio equipment that I had at the time (and still currently own, unfortunately). I would have had to spend way more $$$ on an amp than I can afford just to get any quality whatsoever from the CD1700.

I eventually sold it to someone in these forums who goes by the name "redshifter".

Nov 3, 2002 at 2:32 AM Post #8 of 18
I hate to tell you guys...but I just received my set of HD 280s and find the sound to be great! I will also say that being 48 years of age may have done something to my hearing as well as many years in the radio business (headsets for hours at a time) as well as being a drummer. When I was 20-21 I could tell a big difference from Senns, Koss and others..but hang on...age will redefine your audible hearing preferences. Sure $800.00 may get "some" better sound but then again, that's why they make a Ford and a Chevrolet. Oh, by the way, the day I received these I returned (30 days) a set of Sony MDRV 600s...what a difference!

Nov 3, 2002 at 2:40 AM Post #9 of 18
Glad to hear you like your 280 pros.
cool.gif

Just to make sure you know... the V6s and V600s are VERY VERY VERY different headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by sleverette
Oh, by the way, the day I received these I returned (30 days) a set of Sony MDRV 600s...what a difference!

Nov 3, 2002 at 5:05 AM Post #12 of 18
Many people like the V6s, including me.
biggrin.gif
Ganchan sounds like the man to give you a comparison of the two. I've never heard the 280s.
rolleyes.gif
I'm tempted to get a pair some day though.

Quote:

Originally posted by sleverette
Does that mean you think I may like the V6s?, or are we comparing apples to apples with Sony and Senn?

Nov 3, 2002 at 7:56 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Steve999
Many people like the V6s, including me.
biggrin.gif
Ganchan sounds like the man to give you a comparison of the two. I've never heard the 280s.
rolleyes.gif
I'm tempted to get a pair some day though.

From my very limited listen of the HD280s, in comparison to the V6, they sounded a little watery, splashy... everything was there, but in a different kind of way...

That being said, the DT250 sounded very dark ~ almost unlistenable when compared to my V6 when I first got them... but now, they are basically my headphone of choice (until my Cardas cable arrives for my Senns maybe)... and the V6 sound very shrill, and bass heavy...

I guess a lot depends on how much you use / chop and change your headphone listening........

Nov 3, 2002 at 8:40 AM Post #15 of 18
Haven't they won quite a few awards now?

I see why the 280's win a lot of studio awards, but these studio phones are for use in the studio. Ergo, they aren't designed for consumers, not even "prosumers".

I find the sound to be quite a novelty - it's very precise-seeming, and every time you put it on, you end up being very impressed about the overall rendition. Being impressed isn't the same as willing to spend a couple of hours with it just listening however... I never 'just listen' on the HD280. But Mr. Eagle_Driver, IMO it's as 'honky' as Samuel L. Jackson.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back