Senn HD-650 Questions
Sep 29, 2004 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

mega

500+ Head-Fier
Recently, i revisted the Senn sound, and ive come to really like them. It's a different, relaxing feel from my ATH headphones. I have the 580's right now, and they sound great. But now im realllly tempted to buy the 650's because of how much i enjoy the 580's.

Now i don't have the best of gear (check my profile) and its really a budget system. Im aware that i won't be getting the full potential if i got the 650's. But, i feel that im getting a good enough sound from my 580's with my current system. My question is, would it be worth it to upgrade with my current system? I would have enough money to buy a pair if i sold some of my headphones, so budget really isnt a problem for them. Will i notice an improvement just by upgrading to the 650's from the 580's, or would i need a killer system to really notice the differences? I may plan to ugrade sometime down the line, but not something drastic anytime soon.

I really hate this site
tongue.gif

Sep 29, 2004 at 11:03 PM Post #2 of 23
When I first got the HD650s I went and compared them to a friends 580s. The amp we were using was the Total Airhead and the XCan V3. The source was an iPod (3G 15GB with lossless tracks). Even with the Total Airhead, I was able to tell the difference between the two headphones. The main difference right away was the better bass. It sounded more full with a better extension without a detriment to the mids and highs. To me it sounded more "complete" when directly compared to the 580s. Don't get me wrong I thought the 580s were freakin' awesome when I first heard them. So to answer your question, yes you will notice a difference without the uber hardware.

Sep 29, 2004 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 23
Yes, as mentioned above I'm certain you'll hear the main differences between the two on your current setup. Sources and amps make a nice difference, but for me swapping headphones always makes a bigger difference - as long as you don't have *too* much of a bottleneck (I think you'll be ok). Roughly In order of obviousness, I think you would find the 650 has:
- more powerful, fuller, deeper bass
- a slightly darker, warmer tone (this lessens some with burnin)
- a slightly more forward midrange
- better speed, instrument separation, and details
- a more 3D soundstage (not really wider, though)

One of the coolest consequences of the above is that individual notes, (especially piano and acoustic guitar), have a greater sense of weight and body; to the point they almost seem palpable.

Both are an excellent value for the money, and IMO both are a better value than the HD600. Good luck deciding
icon10.gif

Sep 30, 2004 at 12:31 AM Post #4 of 23
For a cheap upgrade, you can change your opamps in your Headsave Classic to opa637. In my PPA these sound much better than the opa627 with the hd650 so I'd imagine they'd help in your case.

I'd don't know how much difference you'd hear in your setup going from the 580 to 650.

Sep 30, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mega
Thanks..Would you guys consider the HD-650 to be a good phone for all kinds of music? Or is it just for classical/jazz?

I would say HD650 is good for all types of music, but they are even better for jazz, vocal and classical.

Sep 30, 2004 at 7:39 PM Post #7 of 23
Yup.

The HD650 is an excellent headphone for all kinds of music. It is, however, quite source dependent. So YMMV...

600smile.gif

Sep 30, 2004 at 8:05 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
For a cheap upgrade, you can change your opamps in your Headsave Classic to opa637. In my PPA these sound much better than the opa627 with the hd650 so I'd imagine they'd help in your case.

I'll second that reco, fwiw.

Also, you might consider a cable upgrade on the 580s instead of switching to 650s. Just a thought. If in a year you are still itching to upgrade, you can take the cable with you to the 650s.

Sep 30, 2004 at 8:32 PM Post #9 of 23
You will definitely hear a difference by upgrading to 650's, however, that may not be the best bang for the buck at this point.

The reason I say that is because you haven't reached the full potential of the 580's, so whereas you will hear a difference by going to 650's, it will not take you to the next level.

Read my sig with regard to the upgrade path. Right now, your phones are not your bottleneck. You have good phones, get a source that will take advantage of them. Once you've maximized your source, get an amp that will be able to handle the high fidelity your phones and sources are capable of delivering. Once you got the amp, get a cable. Once you've gotten that, THEN upgrade to 650's, use the same source, amp and cable and then you will be at or near reference in sound fidelity.

Sep 30, 2004 at 8:59 PM Post #10 of 23
Bifcake's suggestion is a great one. Keep the HD580 and invest in the best source possible - the 580 will reveal the improvement very easily. Then find a synergous amp that truly drives the HD580 and works well within the context of your source. Then look for quality interconnects and possibly some minor power upgrades if funds permit. An upgraded Sennheiser cable like the affordable Oehlbach or the excellent (but expensive Zu Mobius) would be my next move (and it was). After all this your system will be sounding excellent and pushing the HD580 to its limits; the HD650 will then be a truly viable option and one that will really maximize your rig and allow for even more growth once you are ready (and your wallet has recovered). Or you can just relax and enjoy the music!
smily_headphones1.gif
The path above actually mimics my own, and now I have purchased the HD650 and am carrying over my DAC1 (source and amp) and my Oehlbach. The 580 has grown with me for almost a year and a half; it easily highlighted every improvement and upgrade (over 6 sources, 4 amps and a variety of interconnects and power upgrades). However, after using the DAC1 and comparing my HD580 to the HD650 it is obvious that the time has come to move on to the HD650 and sell off my HD580 to another enthusiast who is embarking on his own head-fi journey.
580smile.gif

Sep 30, 2004 at 9:11 PM Post #11 of 23
NeilPeart:

Do you think that it's worth it getting the Zu Mobius over the Oehlbach?

Sep 30, 2004 at 9:23 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mega
I do a lot of listening on my computer...i know that PC music isn't looked upon as the best option, but i feel i could get great sound with my PC.

Would a EMU-1212 be a worthy source upgrade?

Yes or you can get the emu-0404 which is some people even prefer and save $100.

Sep 30, 2004 at 9:34 PM Post #14 of 23
The Zu Mobius is the best cable I've heard for the HD650 (and I've heard the Clou Blue, Clou Red, Cardas, Equinox, Silver Dragon and Oehlbach). However, the Oehlbach is lighter, more flexible, less microphonic and $200 cheaper. I used to own the Zu Mobius, but I found it too microphonic and I needed the cash so I sold it. I think the best cable for the HD580 is the Oehlbach because it continues the bang-for-buck ideal of the HD580 and is still a substantial improvement over the stock cable. The best cable for the HD600 is the Cardas, IMO, as those 2 simply have great synergy and also maintains a lower cost than the Zu (like the HD600 maintains a lower cost than the HD650). I contacted Zu Cable and expressed my interest in a balanced Zu Mobius for my future balanced amplifier, but also voiced my concern regarding the microphonic techflex. They were sympathetic to my needs and informed me that they are investigating other options for the Mobius; I suggested the cover that Headphile's Larry uses (it is reported to not be very microphonic at all). When I have a balanced amp and Zu uses a less microphonic cable cover I will buy a balanced Zu Mobius for my HD650. However, for the HD580, the Oehlbach performs very well and is very affordable - the Zu cost more than the HD580 and it approaches or exceeds the price of the HD600!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2004 at 9:52 PM Post #15 of 23
The 650 with bad equipment will sound better than the HD580 with bad equipment, and if you ever plan on upgrading, I'd say go for it. I personally like the HD650 more than the HD580/600. The 580 has a colored bass in comparison and etchy highs, and in spite of the powerful bottom end, 650s tend to sound less congested overall. If you dont buy the HD650s then dont despair, the 580s are already pretty awesome phones.

Cheers,
Geek

Users who are viewing this thread

Back