Senn HD 650 going up or down in price?
Sep 8, 2013 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

jamesino

100+ Head-Fier
A couple of years ago, I seem to recall the HD 650's selling on Amazon for about 300-400 new. Today, they're at 500 new. Are their prices going up despite their age? 

Obviously this is speculative, but when do you guys anticipate their prices will start going down?

Suppose if I find the treble of the HD 650 a tad underwhelming, do you think it's worth keeping them just as a collector's piece? Are they worth keeping around because of their history/notoriety? 

Sep 8, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #3 of 18
650 prices have held steady from my experience. i bought mine around 3-4 years ago very slightly used for $320 shipped. and last month i sold them for guess what, $320 shipped.

Sep 8, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #6 of 18
  A couple of years ago, I seem to recall the HD 650's selling on Amazon for about 300-400 new. Today, they're at 500 new. Are their prices going up despite their age? 

Obviously this is speculative, but when do you guys anticipate their prices will start going down?

Suppose if I find the treble of the HD 650 a tad underwhelming, do you think it's worth keeping them just as a collector's piece? Are they worth keeping around because of their history/notoriety? 

Quite honestly, I find the hd650 one of the most enjoyable hp's that I've ever owned. They are my daily driver and do so many things well that out of the three dozen hp's that I've owned, they are the ONLY one that I haven't sold. They are just as current now as they were when they were released...IMO. 

They hold their value exceptionally well. The only reason that you'll see much flucuation in price is if Senn replaces them with a new model...not likely. 

Sep 8, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #7 of 18
A lifetime. HD600 and HD650 has many replaceable parts. My own HD600 are 4.5 years old and a few weeks ago my local hifi shop told me not to bother changing the pads as they were still good (guess I need to do more listening
tongue.gif
)

You can find online photos by owners of decade-young sets that look great

I have no real proof but I think the sale price of this pair correspond with the world economy. A good time to buy was during the mid-noughties up to the crash. In the UK the price has risen by 1/3 since 2009. Reference: the dozens of Amazon price-tracker sites

Sep 8, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #8 of 18

Quite honestly, I find the hd650 one of the most enjoyable hp's that I've ever owned. They are my daily driver and do so many things well that out of the three dozen hp's that I've owned, they are the ONLY one that I haven't sold. They are just as current now as they were when they were released...IMO. 

They hold their value exceptionally well. The only reason that you'll see much flucuation in price is if Senn replaces them with a new model...not likely. 

Which amp do you prefer for the HD650, The Lyr or Asgard 2?

Sep 8, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #10 of 18
  A lifetime. HD600 and HD650 has many replaceable parts. My own HD600 are 4.5 years old and a few weeks ago my local hifi shop told me not to bother changing the pads as they were still good (guess I need to do more listening
tongue.gif
)

You can find online photos by owners of decade-young sets that look great

I have no real proof but I think the sale price of this pair correspond with the world economy. A good time to buy was during the mid-noughties up to the crash. In the UK the price has risen by 1/3 since 2009. Reference: the dozens of Amazon price-tracker sites

Even the cord is replaceable?

Sep 8, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #13 of 18
  Thanks for your response.

Which one is better for the HD800? Which one is warmer and smoother?

lyr by a long shot. That being said the hd800 is one of the amp pickiest hp in the game. And while the lyr is not a bad pick for them, there may likely be better. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back