senn hd 598 or Audio technica ath ad900
Mar 2, 2012 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mac336

500+ Head-Fier
which open eared HP is better for use with pc with lower end sound card and ipods ( without amp)? Or if you have another recommendation, i am listening

Mar 2, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #2 of 7

Quote:
which open eared HP is better for use with pc with lower end sound card and ipods ( without amp)? Or if you have another recommendation, i am listening

Both would accomplish the same thing on the same source really. The AD900 would have a wider sound stage. The HD598 may be more comfortable to wear (you'll have to try both to know what I mean). Both are pretty shy on the bass, so I hope you're not looking for something that can drop sub-bass, because these really cannot. If that's not important, then they're good headphones for listening to things that are mostly just mids & treble.

Very best,

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #3 of 7
I am mainly looking for good mids and highs, nothing harsh treble or bass wise.  Just want something decently balanced with nothing recessed.  I don't care about bass as long as its not nonexistant.  I would like for bass to be somewhat present at the least. 

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #4 of 7
Pair them with an M-Stage and listen to the bass come to life. 
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #5 of 7
One difference is the ATH-AD900 comes with the stereo mini jack (1/8", 3.5mm)
and the HD598 comes with the 1/4" 6.35mm jack
They both come with adapters for swapping jack size.
So with the HD598, if you lose the adapter (and as your stuff uses the mini jack), you can't use the HD598 until you order a replacement adapter.A
And the ATH-AD900 is currently selling less then the HD598.

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
One difference is the ATH-AD900 comes with the stereo mini jack (1/8", 3.5mm)
and the HD598 comes with the 1/4" 6.35mm jack
They both come with adapters for swapping jack size.
So with the HD598, if you lose the adapter (and as your stuff uses the mini jack), you can't use the HD598 until you order a replacement adapter.A
And the ATH-AD900 is currently selling less then the HD598.

all I care about is how good they sound.  In other words, which one would you yourself purchase (neglecting price)  If anyoneelse who has heard them both could give any advice.  As I said earlier, if you know of an open eared HP that you think sounds better than both of these let me know

Mar 3, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
all I care about is how good they sound.  In other words, which one would you yourself purchase (neglecting price)  If anyone else who has heard them both could give any advice.  As I said earlier, if you know of an open eared HP that you think sounds better than both of these let me know

I would take the HD598, it's a newer design over the ATH-AD900s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back