Senn CX95 to Shure SE310...need to move on!
Nov 12, 2008 at 11:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27
Joined
Feb 18, 2008
Posts
77
Likes
0
I have had the Senns for about 9 months and as great as I liked the sound, the build quality and ergonomics were enough of an excuse for me to make an impulsive airport buy of the SE310...

Without going into too much detail, the SE310's sound great but I was fiddling around for ages trying to get the best fit so I could hear the bass...then realised that the CX95's had spoilt me...I got used to a lot of bass so much so that my music sounds like the bass has been removed! Damn I need my bass back!

But I am also realising how decieved I was by the CX95's (which I thought were amazing) because they have a bass that waters down the treble and mids.

Overall, I am unhappy as I'm not getting the involvement I need from the SE310s due to lack of bass - the trebles and mids are great (something the CX95's didn't have). I listen to progressive trance where bass creates a strong atmosphere.

I feel impulsive again. This time I have my sights on the SE530s! Given that I have already spent 144 UKP on the 310s...and I can get the 530's for close to 150 UKP 2nd hand...the total outlay on the headphones of 300 UKP is about the equivalent of the price of new 530...I think its justified (plus I'll have a spare pair!).

Question is: will the 530's solve my woes? (taking into account the amount I am restricted to spending?)
 
Nov 12, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #3 of 27
Joined
Feb 18, 2008
Posts
77
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope it wouldn't, the SE530 is anything but a bassy phone. You are better off getting the UM2, or lower down the chain the Atrio M5 or Denon C751.


Really? Reviews etc suggest they have good bass - I want strong faithful bass...not artificial or flabby...

Or to put in another way, are the bass level I am hearing on the SE310's natural representations? I don't think so based on my home hi-fi and other sets of headphones...Not too sure now...
 
Nov 12, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #4 of 27

Azathoth

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 25, 2007
Posts
1,681
Likes
16
Senn IEMs (i've tried the CX300 and CX400) really do have a strong bass emphasis, and this will be apparent compared to the SE310. I'd say the SE530 is the bassiest (aided by two woofer drivers) of the SE line, but it's not as plentiful compared to the CX series. But for me, the SE530's bass quality is miles ahead of the CX series.
 
Nov 12, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #6 of 27

jinx20001

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 4, 2007
Posts
2,639
Likes
20
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope it wouldn't, the SE530 is anything but a bassy phone. You are better off getting the UM2, or lower down the chain the Atrio M5 or Denon C751.


if the se530 isnt bassy i dont know what shures you have listened to, theres certainly stronger bass but the se530 is super for trance if you ask me, and i have 2 years experience with them nearly
 
Nov 12, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #7 of 27
Joined
Feb 18, 2008
Posts
77
Likes
0
Maybe its the ear bud fittings that's affecting the perception of bass?

The odd thing is the SE310's are marketed on having a tuned bass port for bass emphasis...i'm beginning to wonder whether my bass expectations have been set to high with the CX95's (and even the ATH-M50's, which have thunderous bass)
 
Nov 12, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #8 of 27

jinx20001

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 4, 2007
Posts
2,639
Likes
20
Quote:

Originally Posted by encrypted_trance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe its the ear bud fittings that's affecting the perception of bass?

The odd thing is the SE310's are marketed on having a tuned bass port for bass emphasis...i'm beginning to wonder whether my bass expectations have been set to high with the CX95's (and even the ATH-M50's, which have thunderous bass)



no you've just been spoilt by dynamic driver bass thats all. what you need to get used to is quality tight bass. balanced armatures (used in all shure phones above se110) will never really produce as much thump as cheaper dynamic drivers because they are much smaller and are designed to give a more detailed sound rather than a thumping sound. this is why high end earphones such as the se530 and triple fi 10 use multiple armatures, they do this to try and get back that thump you miss with one balanced armature.

the tuned bass port is simply a small hole in the driver to move air behind or above the driver to improve response, much like a home or car subwoofer, that ''port'' can be tuned (made bigger or smaller) to create different depths and responses. so if you can imagine this, the se530 uses 2 bass drivers with the tuned bass port vs the se310 which is a full range driver and bass port. the se530 bass is certainly better and louder.

the q-jays also uses the bass port technology but the q-jays are so so small, meaning the drivers must be absolutely tiny, meaning the hole must be miniscule, meaning...the bass isnt as strong as say super fi 5 pro.

and yeh ofcourse the earphones have to fit flush for bass to come through. the reason for this is because the drivers are so small they have to be close to the eardrum with no air around the earphones to lose the bass, because home or car subs are so big we dont need them to be so close, but because earphone drivers are so small they have to be close to make your eardrum vibrate, the seal is needed because without it the earphones may aswell be across the room
 
Nov 12, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #9 of 27
Joined
Feb 18, 2008
Posts
77
Likes
0
hey thanks for taking the time for a comprehensive reply. I was also reading that the UE TF10's are as good as the 530s but much cheaper RRP-wise - but actually the 2nd hand prices for the UE are much higher than the 530s...Am I better off waiting around for the UE's? I already have the 310's so figured I might try a different brand...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no you've just been spoilt by dynamic driver bass thats all. what you need to get used to is quality tight bass. balanced armatures (used in all shure phones above se110) will never really produce as much thump as cheaper dynamic drivers because they are much smaller and are designed to give a more detailed sound rather than a thumping sound. this is why high end earphones such as the se530 and triple fi 10 use multiple armatures, they do this to try and get back that thump you miss with one balanced armature.

the tuned bass port is simply a small hole in the driver to move air behind or above the driver to improve response, much like a home or car subwoofer, that ''port'' can be tuned (made bigger or smaller) to create different depths and responses. so if you can imagine this, the se530 uses 2 bass drivers with the tuned bass port vs the se310 which is a full range driver and bass port. the se530 bass is certainly better and louder.

the q-jays also uses the bass port technology but the q-jays are so so small, meaning the drivers must be absolutely tiny, meaning the hole must be miniscule, meaning...the bass isnt as strong as say super fi 5 pro.

and yeh ofcourse the earphones have to fit flush for bass to come through. the reason for this is because the drivers are so small they have to be close to the eardrum with no air around the earphones to lose the bass, because home or car subs are so big we dont need them to be so close, but because earphone drivers are so small they have to be close to make your eardrum vibrate, the seal is needed because without it the earphones may aswell be across the room



 
Nov 12, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #10 of 27

jinx20001

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 4, 2007
Posts
2,639
Likes
20
i think the se530 offer better bass than the triple fi, the triple fi offers better highs. so for your situation it may be worth getting the shures over triple fi. but i think the se530 is worth the extra really because it fits most people better, they are smaller as the triple fi stick out a lot like most UE phones.

but certainly as bass and mids go its the shures for me
 
Nov 12, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #11 of 27
Joined
Feb 18, 2008
Posts
77
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think the se530 offer better bass than the triple fi, the triple fi offers better highs. so for your situation it may be worth getting the shures over triple fi. but i think the se530 is worth the extra really because it fits most people better, they are smaller as the triple fi stick out a lot like most UE phones.

but certainly as bass and mids go its the shures for me



Which leads me to another question - can you sleep with the 530s on? With the 310s and a fluffy enough pillow you can rest to your side...is that possible with the UEs?
 
Nov 12, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #12 of 27

Xena

Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 9, 2008
Posts
93
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by encrypted_trance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which leads me to another question - can you sleep with the 530s on? With the 310s and a fluffy enough pillow you can rest to your side...is that possible with the UEs?


Help me out here. You'd buy $500 earphones based on whether you can sleep in them? Can you actually appreciate music while you're asleep?
 
Nov 12, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #13 of 27

jinx20001

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 4, 2007
Posts
2,639
Likes
20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xena /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Help me out here. You'd buy $500 earphones based on whether you can sleep in them? Can you actually appreciate music while you're asleep?


this answers your question, no i wouldnt advise sleeping with them in
 
Nov 12, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #14 of 27
Joined
Feb 18, 2008
Posts
77
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xena /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Help me out here. You'd buy $500 earphones based on whether you can sleep in them? Can you actually appreciate music while you're asleep?


No. I appreciate music prior to going to sleep...chilled out stuff...it sometimes helps me get to sleep...But once you drift...well...you drift. You don't get time to take them out, but at least you can lay down with them.

95% of my listening will be done fully awake and working!
 
Nov 12, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #15 of 27
Joined
Feb 18, 2008
Posts
77
Likes
0
I've read tons of stuff on the 530 vs TF10's...the jury is certainly out. I get the feeling that emotion and realism is slightly better with the TF10 - I may be wrong...I won't have the luxury of trying both pairs out. But after a lot of computing in my head, I think I will get the TF10's tomorrow from the mall...mostly due to the reduced price but also the fact that both the TF and SE are so close that I (hopefully) wont be disappointed with either...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top