Senn CX95 to Shure SE310...need to move on!
Nov 12, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #16 of 27
I have the CX95 and had the UM2 till a couple weeks ago. I have also heard the SE530 and owned the Triple.fi. Why not move up the line seeing how good the reviews for the new Senns are? If I am right, what you want won't be found in the UM2 or the other two triple driver earphones.

I think you might want the IE7. The SE530 bass might be a bit slow for you. The Triple.fi won't have the bass impact or power you want without an amp and they are BIG! Neither has the bass presence of even the CX95 regardless of the better quality. So if the IE7 give you what you liked about the CX95 and steps up the level of quality past the SE310 it should be a win-win situation. They are smaller than both triple driver phones and reportedly very comfortable. I think,for you, the price works also.

Nov 13, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #17 of 27
If you are looking for an IEM to sleep with there's an even more reason to get the UM2, its built quality top notch and it can be flush with your ear. It's very commonly recommended for an IEM to sleep with.

Nov 13, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #18 of 27
U might have a shock when u get your Triple.fi. I did. The bass is there but just wont go deep enough compared to UM2. But overall it's good enough for pretty much all type of music.

Nov 13, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #19 of 27
And about the triplefi 10, be warned that it is very bright, a lot more so than the SE310 or the CX95. You might find the highs to be too much for you. I still recommend the UM2 to you, why aren't you taking it into consideration anyway?

Nov 13, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And about the triplefi 10, be warned that it is very bright, a lot more so than the SE310 or the CX95. You might find the highs to be too much for you. I still recommend the UM2 to you, why aren't you taking it into consideration anyway?

I did some reading on the UM2 - problem is availability...where I currently am, the 530s and TF10s are available from the local shops...and I'm kind of trapped for the next few weeks...I guess impulse is victimising me again!

Nov 13, 2008 at 11:18 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by encrypted_trance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did some reading on the UM2 - problem is availability...where I currently am, the 530s and TF10s are available from the local shops...and I'm kind of trapped for the next few weeks...I guess impulse is victimising me again!

ask the shop your buying from if they can order you some um2 in?? they stock other high end phones so they might be able to do it for you within a couple of days. depends how mainstream they are, most shops wont order what they dont stock but its worth asking.

Nov 13, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ask the shop your buying from if they can order you some um2 in?? they stock other high end phones so they might be able to do it for you within a couple of days. depends how mainstream they are, most shops wont order what they dont stock but its worth asking.

Being in the Middle East this isn't an option...so bit the dust and bought the UF10 - they worked out to same price on Amazon and considerably cheaper than the 530s.

I'm very happy with them. I like the bass - its 'feel'able but not overpowering...the highs are crisp and you can feel them in the middle of your head. The trance music I listen to has a driving bass and delicate synths, so its important that the 'phones I have capture this. These do.

Only problem is that some songs sound great other not so - this is probably due to the different bit rates used for different songs. And the bit about being able to hear sounds hitherto unheard is definitely true...I think these outclass my M50s...

The other good thing is that the tips are identical to the Senns, which fit more comfy than the shures to my ears...although maybe not as functionally good as the shure olives...

Now I wonder whether I should invest in a headphone amp..

Nov 13, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #24 of 27
I read somewhere that anything over 192kbps becomes indetectable to the human ear...surely this can't be right?

Anyone done blind tests to prove its worth going over 192? The 128s I can tell a mile off!

Nov 13, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by encrypted_trance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read somewhere that anything over 192kbps becomes indetectable to the human ear...surely this can't be right?

Anyone done blind tests to prove its worth going over 192? The 128s I can tell a mile off!

its as simple as this, compression takes out parts of the music that ''apparently'' you cant hear anyway, but if you have high quality headphones, then your more likely to hear the details that compression may take out. so for this matter everything i have is 320kb and up. lossless if i can spare the space and i like certain music

Nov 13, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #26 of 27
Glad u got your new toy! And luckily it fit well. Triples pissed off quite a lot of people due to fitting. Mine fit nicely with shure black foamies.

Regarding the bitrate, avoid anything below vbr192. Between loseless and vbr320, i hardly can tell a difference with UM2 but can differentiate easily between vbr192 and vbr320.

Nov 13, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad u got your new toy! And luckily it fit well. Triples pissed off quite a lot of people due to fitting. Mine fit nicely with shure black foamies.

Regarding the bitrate, avoid anything below vbr192. Between loseless and vbr320, i hardly can tell a difference with UM2 but can differentiate easily between vbr192 and vbr320.

Thanks - they've been stuck to my ears for hours now...even avoided going out partying tonight just to listen to these more (gosh, I am a nerd!)

I find the large silicons shipped with the TF10 fit perfectly. I've done the Shure Olive tip mod - so the medium olives on the TF10 fit well, but I dont find them as comfortable as the large TF silicons - largely because I have to push them in hard to get a decent seal...but with the olives the sound seems to be marginally better maybe due to larger attenuation...

Now a new problem is in the horizon...I need a portable amp! ok, so fixing the bit rate bit is ok, but what about the limitations of the iPod output which I am restrcited to?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back