Senn 600 or Beyer 880
Mar 22, 2003 at 12:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

JAG

100+ Head-Fier
It seems to me that the DT880 is the better choice if sound quality is close and if you have to buy all this other stuff to make HD600 work as billed on these boards.

Mar 22, 2003 at 2:12 PM Post #2 of 7
I have both. The HD 600 has been a trusty companion over many years and I still like it, but now the DT 880 has become my number one. It has an even higher resolution and wider soundstage. Overall a very musical and at the same time natural sounding headphone with just a bit too cheeky treble... but meanwhile I even like this, the more so as it's of a very smooth kind.

Mar 22, 2003 at 4:41 PM Post #4 of 7
I've had a similar experience as JaZZ. I bought these instead of the Sony 3000 on the recommendation of fellow member joelongwood (not a reflection on the Sony but because joe thought I'd prefer the Beyer with my Sugden amp). In my message to joe about my initial impressions, I wrote that the dt880 is definitely more revealing than my Sennheiser HD600 (with original cable), has more snap or dynamics, and better separation of voices and instruments. With more break-in, especially after using a Purist Audio Design System Enhancer Rev. B (break-in disk), the treble smoothed out nicely. As JaZZ mentioned, the soundstage seems to be slightly wider which, for me, means the angle of sound in my head, the V if you will, drops more toward my ears.

The increased resolution and snap make listening to the Beyers more fun for me and I haven't gone back to the 600's for any extended length of listening. I plan to try some Cardas or Equinox cables for the 600's soon and it will be interesting to compare these headphones again.

BTW, the Beyers are very comfortable, but I still find the 600's slightly more comfortable, perhaps because of the oval versus round shape. As always when discussing sonic impressions, YMMV - the 600's are great headphones and their refined sound and comfort level will be preferred by many. Hope this helps.

Adam

Mar 22, 2003 at 6:26 PM Post #5 of 7
just as when you buy a tube amp, you just know that sooner or later you're going to get into tube rolling, so also if you buy the HD600 you know that you're going to have to upgrade the cable.

of course the same could also be said of the DT880, unless you're comfortable using the extension cord. but the DT880's cable replacement will be for a different reason - it's too short. those of us that do replace the cord will be willing to sell them to others who have PCDPs and IPODs, since they complain of their headphone cables being too long.
wink.gif

Mar 22, 2003 at 10:29 PM Post #6 of 7
You're so right, wallijonn. I've been using the Grado extension cord with the dt880, but will probably get some type of upgrade one of these days. BTW, I've been in and out of tubes over the years, and I'm currently on the outside looking in (or on the inside looking out, one can never be sure).

Adam
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back