Senn 495 or 570 vs Sony 380 for ROCK music
Feb 1, 2002 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Mr.T

New Head-Fier
Ok they say sennheiser is not great with rock music but can really shine with classical. If I strickly listen to rock, hard rock and heavy metal I am farthar ahead to get Sony MDR-CD380 over Sennheiser 495 or 570 ?

Note this is for rock music only. Plus I'm looking for Headphones under approx.
$70 preferably.

Note I know there are better kinds out there for rock music but I'm pretty well limited to sennheiser or Sony.

Thanks.

Feb 1, 2002 at 5:07 PM Post #3 of 12
Whether Senns are good for rock would depend on what kind of sound you want from rock. Do you want a lot of bass slam or a lot of sparkle from the cymbals and snare drums etc.? The 495 and 570 would both give you enough bass. The 495 is laid back in typical Sennheiser tradition so might not have enough sparkle for some ppl's tastes, but the 570 is quite bright (from hearsay, and looking at frequency response graphs) and will give you that extra sparkle. Depending on your tastes, you might like the 495 or the 570 better.

Now if only somebody can tell me what the 380 sounds like... Did I remember someone remarking that they sound something like the Labtec 840?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 1, 2002 at 5:27 PM Post #4 of 12
Although I didn't hear the 570, I did hear the 575 and its sound was quite lean. With jazz, you could follow the notes of the string bass, but the kick-drum really lacked power. Their sound was very laid-back and distant. Some people call them bright, I'd call them "brittle". Works well for some kind of music, but not rock (esp. not heavy-metal!)

As for the 495, I didn't really like their bass either. They seemed to have a fair amount, but it was slow and distorted. Maybe with a good amp they would be better. The sound was more up-front than the 575.

If you listen mainly to rock, could I recomment the Grado SR60? They are about $70 and IMHO are better suited than the mentionned Sennheiser for rock. They have a fun and involving sound with great bass. You could order them online if you can't find them locally. And get ready for the next 5 people to recommend you the KSC-35
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2002 at 5:39 PM Post #6 of 12
I've heard all the phones mentioned save the Sony 380s. The 570 is not a good choice for rock; it is delicate and well articulated but lacks much bass and generally lacks attack. Soundstage is wide but lacks immediacy.

The 495 needs an amp to work well which will knock you well over $60.

As Pedxing says, the 497 would be a much better choice. Easier to drive, decent bass, and nicely balanced across the frequency range. Can be found at Headphone.com for $60, and Circuit City is now carrying these, though price is unknown.If you plan to listen to a broad range of music, these would be a fine choice. My own recent review on here gives more detail.

My personal choice for "pure" rock phones would be the Grado SR60 or the Sony V6 depending on whether you value impact (Grado) or detail (Sony) and whether you want an open (Grado) or closed (Sony) phone design. The 60s go for $60-70 (use Yahoo shopping) and the V6 goes for $60 or less. (try etronics.com, $55). The 497s are fine with rock and are definitely versatile, but I would choose the Grados or V6 ahead of them in that price range.

As for the Sony 380s, though I have not heard them, I would say beware. Everything since the V6/v7/7506 from Sony has been overpriced and has generally garnered mediocre if not downright hostile reviews here and elsewhere. The V6s will probably be cheaper and better.

Hope this helps!

Feb 1, 2002 at 5:41 PM Post #7 of 12
Yeah, why not the V6s (not the V600, V6, with nothing after the '6')
tongue.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 1, 2002 at 5:51 PM Post #8 of 12
Another option would be the Senn 477. I have tested these vs. the Senn 497 and found little sonic difference, esp. for rock music. In addition, they are more comfortable than the 497 due to the use of cloth (vs. pleather) pads. Have not listened to the Grado 60s, but it seems you would want to listen to these first as there are some posters that feel the Grado sound is an "acquired" taste.

Feb 1, 2002 at 11:57 PM Post #9 of 12
The CD380s are not too disimilar to the Labtec Elite-840s. They are a rock headphone, with a more forward presentation, but I would only pay about $20-25 for them. Much better are the Grado headphones. HD570 is not a good rock headphone for the many reasons listed by others above. For rock, hard rock, and metal under $70 I would get Grado SR-60. No headphone under $200 that I've heard does rock better than Grado. KSC-35 would be my next choice in that $70 price range.

Feb 2, 2002 at 7:38 AM Post #10 of 12
I have a pair of 380s which I now use solely for my computer. I have owned them for almost one year, and the first time I tried them on my now defunct black Magnavox mini system (OK, I know that it is pure sacrilege to even consider any minisystem on this site!!), I got a powerful midrange, but one with recessed bass and biting treble. When I transferred these over to my PC, I got entirely different results; a warm, yet powerful midrange, crisp, not biting treble, tight, solid bass, and overall, a pleasant soundstage.
wink.gif
For $34.99, I discovered a sonic gem (out of an unlikely source) I just couldn't refuse!!!!
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Feb 2, 2002 at 5:28 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Another option would be the Senn 477. I have tested these vs. the Senn 497 and found little sonic difference

srapps55, since you have review the new senn. phones, which one would you recommened for electronica/techno/r&b music?

btw, has anyone did a comparison between the senn. 497 and koss ksc-35?

Feb 2, 2002 at 5:55 PM Post #12 of 12
Bass man, either the Senn 477 or 497 would be fine for the types of music you mentioned. Some CDs I used for back to back comparison included Curtis Mayfield "Superfly", Depeche Mode (don't really have electronica, so listed them as a substitute), Green Day "Dookie" (I think its good for testing bass because of the kick ass drums), Rush (same reason - drums), Radiohead "Kid A" and "Amnesiac" (again, as electronica as I get).

What I would not recommend the 477 as heartily for would be jazz (particularly heavy use of trumpet/cornet) and classical (slightly less definition on the high end). If you are really planning to use the phones for rock, save the $10 and get the 477, which are more comfortable anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back