Senn 212Pro or 280Pro
Apr 8, 2002 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ImMersion

100+ Head-Fier
Sup guys I know I have asked a lot of questions on my other thread right here but Ive narrowed it down to either the 212 or 280 pro's. My main concern with 280's are the plain looks and high price. At buy.com theyre about 80 and the 212 are about 45. I could get these and a decent pcdp for around $90-100. I am no audiophile, but like most of u here I like good sound.

Can I get pretty decent sound with the 212 pro's? Or should I just splurge and get the 280's. Thanks

Apr 9, 2002 at 5:24 AM Post #3 of 6
I don't know about the sound, but since the 212's are part of the Cheap Sennheiser line and they have detachable cables, they might share the same problems that the 497 has with it's connectors. With some people the 497's connector has arrived defective on arrival, with the sound being intermittent from the start, while others like myself notice the problem when we detach the cables and put them back in again. The sound cuts in and out. Not a good indicator of quality. I've had a brief audition of HD280 and I compared it with my old HD497 before I sold it. It sounded considerably more refined than the 497 and it was much smoother and had deeper bass. When you see it in person it actually looks much nicer than the 212. The 212 looks kinda like a cheap spacy toy compared to the 280. And speaking from experience with the 497, is probably built like one also. In contrast the HD280 looks very professional and the pleather is very thick and glove like. It has a fake leather pattern on it that kind of looks cheesy, but it does no harm. But it is way more comfortable than the Circum/Supra-aural hybrid Cheap Sennheisers anyday. And it is built to last. I don't think you can say that for the 212 if it is anything like the other Cheap Sennheisers. All in all, I think the extra money is well worth it. I wish you happiness in your decision.

Apr 14, 2002 at 4:52 PM Post #5 of 6
I bought the Hd 212s a couple of weeks ago and have been listening to them almost nonstop since. i have most definitely achieved burn in. as these are my first 'good' pair of headphones i am kind of hesitant to write a review as i have nothing to compare them with. however i do know good sound as i have a fairly expensive sound system on my computer and a nice system at home too. i know this does not directly correlate to how phones sound, hence the no review yet....

well, i listen to the 212s on my portable and on my computer
(no amp in both cases) when i din't want to disturb my roommates (i'm in college) and they work fine in this regard. they leak very little to no sound. i was blasting techno almost full volume on my portable and noone could hear, but that was on my portable. if i turn the volume full up on my computer then the phones can work as a sort of mini speakers...i can keep them several feet away and listen to the music comfortably wiht no distortion of any sort. so they can be very loud too.

bass is fine...not TOO loud, but loud enough definitely, and let me tell you, i like my bass. and if you want headache level bass you can always use the bass boost.

so i think for someone with a limited budget ( about $50 or so, and no amp and sealed headphones, which was exactly my case), the 212 is the best choice. i thought about the 280s, but they were too expnsive and they also look kind of big and nerdy.

and that's my two cents. if some of you really want me to write a review then i will, but i like i said i don't have too much to compare it to, so...

Apr 14, 2002 at 8:33 PM Post #6 of 6
ImMersion -

violeta88 is absolutely correct, listen to him. The new, under-$70 Senn 4x7 & 2x2 line is terrible with regard to build quality. They ALL look pretty geeky IMO, but at least the 280's are all business and will last you. If you can swing the $85 mail-order price, you will be much happier.

- j

Users who are viewing this thread

Back