senn 202
Feb 7, 2002 at 4:23 PM Post #2 of 7
Hi andrzejpw---

the 202s sound very nice out of a portable; just keep MegaBass turned off, at least if you have a Sony model! (Actually no phones sound good with the Mega Bass on my Sony PCDP; I wonder why they botherered to include the feature!)

I got the 202s for $30 (list) from a Virgin Megastore in NYC. They seem like a great bargain, and I am doing the research now for a review which I will post in the near future.

Through the miracle of Yahoo shopping, I have discovered an estore called www.southtronic.com that has em for $28.

They are definitely the best cheap closed headphones that I have heard, and if you want to pick em up now I don't think you'd feel disappointed. Or you can wait for the review for more details...
smily_headphones1.gif

oh, yeah, compared to the MX500s---the 202 sounds much better with deeper bass extension and greater articulation. It costs more and is less portable though, so the better performance is not surprising.

Feb 7, 2002 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 7
Are these new cans? They appear to be closed versions of the new open 477/497. Could be a challenger to the v6 market.

Wonder why Headroom does not carry them (- yet?)

Anybody receive these yet?

Feb 7, 2002 at 7:12 PM Post #4 of 7
Jpelg---

these are indeed new cans introduced at the CES. These seem part of Senns new marketing strategy to appear to younger buyers by building lower impedance phones for the portable/home markets. The styling and construction of the 202s is exactly similar to the 457/77/97 series, w the 202s occupying the 457/77 position and the 212s equivalent to the 497s.

I have owned a pair of the 202s for 48 hrs and the sonic performance is quite respectable. Based on Srapps55s review of the 477s, I think the 202 is using the 477 drivers in a closed configuartion. As Srapps indicated the 477/202 is best meant for rock, pop, and bass intensive music. The 497 which I own (and presumably the 212 which I have not seen anywhere) is the more versatile of the phones and is equally good with classical and jazz as with rock and pop. All the phones seem a great bargain, with the 202 at $30 probably being the best deal in terms of bang for the buck.

I already have a review up on the 497s (where Srapps's comments on the 477 can be found also) and I will post the 202 review eventually. Hang in there!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2002 at 11:54 AM Post #7 of 7
Will headroom be getting these? If they could sell them for like 25 dollars. . . it'd be about 30 shipped. THey couldn't keep em in stock . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back