Senior Apple contact details?
Sep 28, 2010 at 5:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

LJ50

Head-Fier
Wondering if someone on the forum would be good enough to provide me contact details for someone senior within the Apple  organisation. Having just spoken to a particularly arrogant and rude individual he refused to provide details of anyone more senior to whom I could express my dissatisfaction and I am extremely keen to do so, given my experience.

Many thanks in advance to anyone able to help.

If you have the patience, then below is my saga/cautionary tale.....!

My step-daughter wanted the new iPod Touch. So, she saved pocket money, birthday money, etc. so that by the time the new one was released she was nearly there. So we ordered her the 32GB variant from Apple's online Store so we could personalise it with the engraving. We then learned an interesting lesson.

If you've bought an item personalised (ie engraved) on the online store and you receive a faulty unit then you naturally take it to the Genius Bar where a "genius" will tell you it needs replacing. The unit had been received in the post literally 3 hours before the "Genius" had it in his hand and said "that is definitely a major fault and won't be repairable, something has gone wrong in manufacturing, I'm really sorry". They then tell you to go home, phone Apple online and tell them it's broken. A few days later you receive a box which you post back to them. A few days after that the "Repair Status" website updates to show that that they have received it. Then you wait another couple of days until the website tells you that a replacement is pending.

So you wait a while and then phone to find out what's happening. They can't tell you anything, but are ultra-polite. When you ask why you couldn't have just given it back to the "genius" and have them arrange the replacement to come straight out you are told that it needed to go back to their experts to confirm the fault. At this point I politely observed that made an irony of the word "genius" but they didn't really understand my point. They either trust the Genius diagnosis and allow them to instantly instruct a replacement or they should stop calling them geniuses (which they should stop doing anway, it's just patronising).

The upshot of all of this this is that 10 days after the "genius" said it needed replaced Apple advised us - and remember I had to phone them again to find this out - that they would be sending a replacement "probably despatching at the end of this week, you should have it on Monday".

Customer experience up until now is disappointing to say the least. Then for us it got even worse this morning. What a disgusting organisation.

We're now a couple of days into the new week, we'd been told a new unit would "probably" be sent at the end of last week. When I phone this morning to ask them to confirm that they've sent the item I'm told that apparently there is a delay on all repairs. "Mine isn't a repair" I say, to which the very polite lady replies that it is being treated as one and so a new one won't be sent out soon and certainly not this week. "What happens if I order a brand new one, when will that despatch?". Her very happy answer is that it takes about 48 hours to engrave so I should have it by Saturday. "So, why can't you do that then?" which I think is a reasonable question. Their answer was:

"We just don't".

I asked to be put through to someone in customer relations. "Ron" is without doubt the most arrogant "customer service" person I've ever spoken to (and I live and work in London....). Apparently he is "the most senior person you can talk to in Apple". He does though have no authority to influence any internal process or do any chasing of my replacement. When I ask him to pass on my comments that the returns process isn't very a) good in respect of communication and that b) the built-in delay by not allowing the Stores to arrange replacements he refuses. I ask him to make a note for someone in a position to influence the processs to contact me he says.

"There is no point me making a note. No-one will contact you.".

I aked him if senior people have iPhones, and if so can he send a note for one of them to call me. He says he's going to end the call if I keep talking down to him (I think he has a chip on his shoulder about seniority). At this point I ask him simply to arrange a refund. He refuses. He does give me the advice though that when I receive the device (My question "When will that be?" gets ignored) I should contact customer services and they might consider a refund. But he says they'll refuse it.

What really galls me is the arrogance. "Ron" says he's senior, but doesn't want to listen to my feedback on their processes and customer service because that's the way they do things. When I asked if he'd have been happy with the customer service he told me to "stop being irrelevant". When I asked why I had to wait for a box he advised "we're different departments. we have nothing to do with each other". I pointed out that that is an organisational thing they can surely change he said "no, we can't. why should we?". I would have though a company like Apple - selling a premium priced product and renowned for being "slick" - would have welcomed customer feedback, rather than be so appallingly dismissive.

This is the first time I've bought anything from Apple in a few years. Needless to say I won't be doing so again. Now have a step-daughter who saved up to buy herself the iPod Touch and a few days short of a month after ordering it she still has no idea when it will be received.

Sep 28, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #2 of 14
Steve Jobs email is searchable online. Send what you wrote above to him directly.  A number of people have done it and received a phone call within a day from someone.  

Sep 28, 2010 at 7:09 AM Post #4 of 14
He is known for replying to emails coming from customers.

Post his reply here.

Sep 28, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #5 of 14
Keep in mind this is something that can happen through "any" electronics manufacturer.  Still it is obviously a poor experience, although I can vouch for it not being common with Apple.  I have owned many Apple products and have had plenty of good customer experiences with them, I just think it would be a shame if you swore off of them entirely because of this.  Being involved in the tech field for many years I see a lot of people who hold too high of grudges with various companies.

Sep 28, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #6 of 14
IMHO IBM provides the best customers support (at least when it comes to Thinkpads, don't know much about their servers etc). It is sad that IBM (or Lenovo with IBM support) doesn't produce DAPs.

Sep 28, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #7 of 14
Well... a curious thing happened. About 3 hours after I sent the email to sjobs (therefore about 5 hours after being told that there was an indefinite delay and that a replacement was unlikely to be sent this week) I received a generic email advising that a replacement iPod Touch has been despatched via TNT.

Now, no reply has been received to the email I sent, so I am curious to know why the situation apparently suddenly altered in those few hours.

Also interesting is that apparently it should take 2 days to arrive, or "up to 5 days" if it's personalised. I don't really understand that, the TNT website says their parcel's delivery location is my home so I have no idea whatsoever as to why it might take longer to deliver if it's personalised?!

Thanks to all who've responded. Getting a working device isn't sufficient [DanoftheDead my gripe has never been about the faulty unit, I completely understand that there will always be faulty units in any manufacturing or assembly process]. I want an apology or explanation from someone at Apple for the inconvencience and irritation they have caused me.

Sep 28, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
hmm btw are you in the UK?  if so tell them to shove the replacement and you want your money back.  if they refuse start Quoting the DSR and then contact the CAB.

dont reward their treating you like crap when the law is entirely on your side

Nice in theory but a) as it's personalised the DSR apparently wouldn't count (the appropriate legislation is the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982) and b) the goods are sold from Ireland so Irish law prevails, rather than UK.

Sep 28, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #11 of 14
How odd.  Must be coincidence.  My favorite story is about a girl constantly emailing sjobs to help her do a report on Apple from her Blackberry.  His response, "it's not my job to help you get a good grade."  Classic Jobsy.

Quote:
Well... a curious thing happened. About 3 hours after I sent the email to sjobs (therefore about 5 hours after being told that there was an indefinite delay and that a replacement was unlikely to be sent this week) I received a generic email advising that a replacement iPod Touch has been despatched via TNT.

Sep 28, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #12 of 14
They sent me an engraved iPod touch 3rd gen, replaced with an engraving, when i told them not to....
1 month in, i didn't get mine back, so i bought a galaxy s.

Persist and you will get what you want + more.
I'm getting (hopefully) soon, a NEW 4th gen, BNIB ipod 64gb.

In other words:
Was going to sell my 3rd gen for £210, then found out it would be BNIB, making it £230-240
Then got told i'll be getting a 4th gen:
£350, period.

Persist to your arguments, and it should get there.
I never liked itunes, or apple products, but always loved their CS.
It's a shame that you didn't experience the same thing as i did
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back