Sending cash abroad
Dec 23, 2009 at 1:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

suicidal_orange

500+ Head-Fier
I have $500 left from a trip to the US in the summer (unexpected free bar at a wedding
beerchug.gif
), but the exchange rate is so much worse now than then I will be loosing about 10% by changing it back, then have to pay paypal fees when I spend it in $ (probably in the FS section on here...)

I was wondering what options there are to send cash abroad? Most postal services don't seem to like it, but it doesn't seem to be illegal - anyone done it? Obviously it would have to be to a trusted seller, but there are plenty of those about.

Thanks for any thoughts/experiences
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #2 of 12
There's quite a few excellent options so you're in luck! In fact, your luck is one in a million!

Click on www.nigeria_scam***.com and you'll find some great opportunities to sort out your excess $500.

Alternatively, there are some excellent pyramid schemes too! Deposit your $500 in and you will see it triple; quadruple and multiply exponentially! For someone else at the top of the pyramid scheme!

I personally like to keep a few US$ in the UK. Sometimes indie artists who run their own website, accept cash (registered/tracked) for small $$ CDs and things, so that if it is stolen by the postie, it's not such a terrible blow. Maybe you'll know someone who goes back to the States. You can always give it to them....to buy you a new TTVJ Portable Tube Amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Budgie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I once sent a broad some cash if that would be of any help.

ROFLMAO!

If you send cash through paypal as "gift" there shouldn't be any charges.

Dec 23, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #5 of 12
Forget the conversion. Use the $500 to buy something like a used Grado RS-1 and have it shipped over.

Or you could simply hang onto it. Exchange rates go up and down - you never know.

Dec 23, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #6 of 12
Sending cash in the mail certainly is of your own risk, but wrap it up carefully and the chances are high that they make its way safely.

Dec 23, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #7 of 12
I wouldn't trust the mailing system with raw cash... I hardly trust them for letters.

Dec 28, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #9 of 12
Wow, lots of replies while I was off dealing with Christmas - hope everyone had a good one
beerchug.gif

I currently have paper money, it's in $50's so not loads of notes and could be easily camouflaged. I was hoping someone would come up with some international bank where I could either pay it straight to someone else's account abroad or maybe set up an account in a foreign currency without paying for "preferential conversion rates" as I don't need to convert. I couldn't find either, but hoped someone else might have - guess not
frown.gif

Thanks anyway, I'll probably just sit on them till the rates improve
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 28, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #10 of 12
Western Union practically has "SEND YOUR CASH ABROAD" plastered everywhere on their website, so I'd guess they'd do.

Dec 28, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #11 of 12
Yeah, Western Union seems like a usable solution.
They have office "everywhere" and accept cash input and cash output, minus some fees that is.

Dec 28, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #12 of 12
I was once sent $300 cash from Singapore in payment for some audio gear - I thought it a gutsy thing to do. I'd never do the reverse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back