Sen 580 Rock Setup
Jun 12, 2003 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

ekwinix

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Everyone!
This is my first post! Great to be on the boards here.
I just have a question concerning the Sennheiser 580's in relation to rock music.
While they are a great headphone, the rock isnt as personal as I would like it to be, i.e. I would prefer to sound abit more Grado like, if you guys know what I mean.
Currently I have my 580's hooked up to my computer with the SB Live, and I was wondering what componants, in the area's of cable and amp would prove beneficial?

I've heard alot about Equinox cable's, are they good for what I'm after? Where can i get them from. Also, I'v heard that the Creek OBH-11 packs a punch for its price. Any recommendations?

I'm willing to spend at a maximum $300USD on an Amp and Cable for the Sennheiser's. Anything that will get me closer to a better rock feeling would help!

Cheers,
Ekwinix.

(BTW: The type of rock I listen to is Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden, White Stripes, Metallica, Queen, U2, Radiohead etc)

Jun 12, 2003 at 12:16 AM Post #2 of 24
HD580's didn't do it for me for the kind of music you list either. Grado is the way for you methinks. It's of my opinion that a better source/amp/cables improves on what a headphone already does rather than really changing its basic characteristics. Sure you could upgrade all that and see if it works out, but for the money I think something other than Senns would work better.

I think you'd be better off getting a Grado SR225 rather than bothering with a $200 cable upgrade which will simply refine the sound more.

Jun 12, 2003 at 12:59 AM Post #3 of 24
I agree with Rezumo, you can bother with the upgrades but dont think it wll fix your issue. I would recommend going with a higher grado if you already like the sound of them for rock.

Jun 12, 2003 at 1:19 AM Post #4 of 24
Welcome to head-fi, sorry about the "veil"...

<ducks>

Go with some good Grados...225s, perhaps. I know I'm already the third person to say this, but still...

Jun 12, 2003 at 1:50 AM Post #5 of 24
Just another person that's going to say that 580's are great, but not rock 'phones.

225's are very good for rock. Some say better than 325's because of balance. Plus you should be able to get a good used pair for about 150-160.

Jun 12, 2003 at 1:52 AM Post #6 of 24
ya i had the Senn 580 and they SUCK for rock IMO (IN MY OPINION EVERYONE THAT MEANS NO FLAMING) go grado. i have grados and just got the Grado amp and daaaaamn is it good together

Jun 12, 2003 at 2:03 AM Post #7 of 24
I guess I'm really just looking for a change.

I have Grado SR80s, and I feel as if i need a change. The 580s are great, its just that I want to increase their performance in that area.

So what amp would you guys recommend if my listening was geared towards Rock?

Cheers,
Ekwinix.

Jun 12, 2003 at 2:14 AM Post #8 of 24
i have the 80's and the Grado RA-1 basically takes all thats wrong with teh 80s and makes it right, its just incredible the difference it makes, just make sure you have a good source and IC before it.

Jun 12, 2003 at 2:37 AM Post #9 of 24
I wouldn't make any decisions about headphones until you upgrade your card. The SBLive is a bad source. Grados will always sound better with bad sources. It's one of their greatest virtues actually. So, if you must keep the SBLive then get an SR-80 or SR-225 (if you can hear the difference with your source).

My advice would be to just withhold judgement until you upgrade to an Audigy 2 or a Revo. Only then can you make a fair comparison.

Jun 12, 2003 at 2:59 AM Post #10 of 24
The thing is, I would rather update my componants to get that extra from my phones than buy another pair.

The Audigy 2 might be a solution for me. Do you have one? Are they as good as other sources?

Cheers,
Ekwinix.

Jun 12, 2003 at 3:10 AM Post #12 of 24
Hm, well for what it's worth, I found the Clou cable to make the Senns more punchy/dynamic than the Equinox. I didn't like it though, I found it too bright... but maybe for your tastes they'll work. I'm also thinking a headphone change might be the better idea, though.

Jun 12, 2003 at 3:17 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by ekwinix
I guess I'm really just looking for a change.

I have Grado SR80s, and I feel as if i need a change. The 580s are great, its just that I want to increase their performance in that area.

So what amp would you guys recommend if my listening was geared towards Rock?

Cheers,
Ekwinix.

If you want to keep to the Senn 580 to play rock and you are very comfortable with their sound, then I suggest a very good solid state amp. Something like the higher end Cordas or Sugden Headmaster. I had very good experiences with the Sugden Headmaster + Senn HD600 when playing rock. In fact I prefer it to the Grado SR80. I'm one of the very few who feels the Senns HD600 can rock when driven properly.

Hope this helps. YMMV. IMHO. Yada yada yada. You know the drill.

Jun 12, 2003 at 3:56 AM Post #14 of 24
Yeah I think they sucked for Rock too but am always hesitant to say so in fear of getting the "you're not driving them to their full potential" drill. I agree that HD580's do not sound very good directly out of a soundcard. With a better source and amp they're miles ahead, but I still didn't like them too much for Rock.

If you sell the HD580 and get a Grado then use that $300 for a soundcard upgrade and to get a META42 or something, you'll be doing great.

IMO
smily_headphones1.gif
Or try what Gojira is suggersting and upgrade the soundcard and amp first, and if you still don't like the Senns for rock, try something different.

Jun 12, 2003 at 4:06 AM Post #15 of 24
You could always get a source like the DVP-NS500V which is bright-sounding but makes the bottom end punch nicely with HD580s.

I am with the others when they say the SR-225 is a better rock phone: They will blow your mind.

Cheers,
Geek

Users who are viewing this thread

Back