Sen 580 Rock Setup
Jun 12, 2003 at 4:37 AM Post #16 of 24
Is there any amp sub $200 that goes well with the 580s?
Especially for rock, without recommending the Grado's?
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers !!

Jun 12, 2003 at 9:54 AM Post #18 of 24
My only non-Grado recommendation for this is to think about buying/building an inexpensive tube amp...IIRC, tube amps are best known for boosting the midrange...

Do a search in the amplification forum for tube amps...I'm pretty sure there's a DIY amp that costs about $150 you could build...hell, you might even learn something.
very_evil_smiley.gif
As for other recommendations, improving your sound card or buying a better cable (probably the equinox for midrange, again IIRC) are tops on the list.

I still say you should just buy some Grados. But obviously that's not the advice you're going for.

Jun 12, 2003 at 11:50 AM Post #19 of 24
hello once again!

Dudes and dudette's, iv been looking around at reviews, and unfortunatly the comfort/fatigue level of my SR80s is just abit too much for me to continue with them.

But I am now looking at the Beyer DT880. They seem to require less drive than the 580/600's and possibly abit better for my rock tastes!

Anyone heard these babies with rock?

Cheers,
John.

EDIT: Also, are these comfortable??!?!

Jun 12, 2003 at 12:56 PM Post #20 of 24
hmm really depends on what type of rock and its production quality, i found that after i got the x-van v2 my 580s worked so much better with more involving alternative/noise rock (tripping daisy, flaming lips, my bloody valentine, spiritualized) and well-produced rock (likes of pearl jam, radiohead) but it still falls down on lesser-produced stuff, just failing to give it any extra life or punch... the only band i can think of off-hand would be sebadoh.. strangely enough fugazi sounded amazing after a cable upgrade.

While I can imagine a headphone sounding a lot better on certain stuff, to class the 580 as a poor performer with rock would be wrong imo...perhaps death metal or anything very heavy
smily_headphones1.gif

[edit[
the 880s would probably be the can of choice for you.. try a search and you'll find a lot of happy beyer heads

Jun 12, 2003 at 2:08 PM Post #21 of 24
I think the DT880s are your best compromise based on what you have posted here. They have a tad of a foward sound like the Grados, but still a lot of refinement like the HD600/580s. I like the soundstage and the instrument seperation, but they do need a good quality amp to shine. They are currently my go to headphone for the type of rock music that I listen to. On my melon, they are very comfortable too.

Jun 13, 2003 at 7:12 AM Post #22 of 24
You all rock.
Thanks so much for helping me out before I spent a substantial amount of money.

There was a post the other day saying "how much has head-fi forums cost you", there should be another one asking how much they have SAVED you.

Cheers, and rock on!@!
evil_smiley.gif

Ekwinix

Users who are viewing this thread

Back