Semi-Poll: What's your job?
May 25, 2006 at 10:09 AM Post #77 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graz
I'm a hardware program manager for a large (top 3) PC company, and have worked for this company for nearly 12 years. I drive a team developing notebook PC's from concept to product launch. All of our ODM partners have their R&D based here in Taiwan (with manufacturing plants in China)...which explains why I've lived in Taiwan for the past 3 1/2 years. I've been doing notebook PC development since I joined the company...the first platform I worked on sported a snappy 486 DX4-100
eek.gif
tongue.gif

Prior to this company I worked for another PC-related company for 10 years, starting back in '85...I was 18 years old at the time & going to night school at the same time. Back then, we were using IBM XT's to do development work.

So at age 39, I have 21+ years of experience in the PC industry...that must be some kinda record lol!

Peace,

Graz

Nice. And makes me wonder how many of your designs I might already have reviewed without knowing - I've been working as freelance computer journalist since 1987 (then also 18 years old and, too, while still being at school (Gymnasium)), mostly specializing on hardware reviews. Nowadays I'm employed as an editor for c't magazine, mostly reviewing x86 (desktop) pcs, mini barebones, cases and soundcards.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: In case you'd ever be over here for CeBIT, let me know!

May 25, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #79 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasp3r
hey at least you DO get good money.... If I went into computer graphics I would want to design games..

Yup, that's what everyone wants to do in school. Well, almost everyone anyway. I'm essentially going back to persue animation as my main course of study (rather than being a jack of all trades, master of none). Hopefully I'll wind up in the movie or game biz.

May 25, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #82 of 176
King of the Registrar's office at an online university! Ok, so more of an office slave, but it's all good (I answer phones, send emails, register people, solve problems, listen to people complain...frequently...).
icon10.gif

May 25, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #83 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
I am a grad student and researcher at The Salk Institute/UCSD.

I am an aspiring x-ray crystallography who strives to obtain high resolution structures (one to three angstroms) of medically relevant membrane proteins. I am especially interested in elucidating ligand/receptor interactions with g-protein-coupled receptors that might lead to rational drug design. Nearly 50% of drugs on the market target g-protein-coupled receptors, yet we have little structural insight into how they work. The only g-protein-coupled receptors which have been solved are bacteriorhodopsin and Bovine rhodopsin (2000).

My current project entails characterizing MISTIC, a membrane-integrating protein that allows high-level expression of eukaryotic membrane proteins in bacteria. This protein represents a novel and potentially revolutionary discovery in the world of structural biology, finally allowing investigators to pursue structural characterization of human membrane proteins in a high-throughput format with e. coli. You can read our publication in the 2005 Feb issue of Science, if you are interested.

-Matt

Quick, say that 10 times fast!

May 25, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #84 of 176
I work in the Security/Counter-Terrorism industry. I consult for institutions ranging from government agencies to high net-worth individuals to Fortune 100 corporations on protecting their facilities and personnel. Very interesting work but it is also very time consuming with all the travel, etc.

May 25, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #85 of 176
Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Ship's Officer...Engineering/Marine Engineering degree.

Now, I just sit around and surf, act like a Crusty Old person, and drink Good Scotch, Listen to music, and suchlike...

Sometimes, when I have a receptive audience, I tell good Sea Stories...when I am Drunk enough, I will sing Bawdy Ballads of yesteryear....

Aug 24, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #86 of 176
I know I'm a little late to this thread but I started wondering what people did with themselves around here...that and I'm spending the night reading job related material...

I'm currently an educational assistant to a high school senior with an ABI (Aquired Brain Injury) due to a car accident in grade 6. I basically go to her classes with her and help her take notes, jot things down that the teacher says (she has a little trouble multi tasking) and help her with her school work. I took the job because I really wanted to do something that is completely different for me, and it's a great experience. The other nice thing is that because it's paid for by the insuarance company it pays a little more than double what the school board EA's make because I'm on a private contract...that and they pay for the gas in my car! It's a little weird to be going back to highschool...I'm just glad I'm not going back to the one I went to...

My ultimate goal is to become a municipal police officer in the city I grew up in and live in currently...I'll probably apply around February 2007...

Aug 24, 2006 at 4:46 AM Post #87 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
I just graduated in May, and I'm moving to Houston to work for a company that develops software for other companies in the energy and gas markets. My degree was in IT, and I'll be a business analyst/client support representative.

I'm looking forward to having a real paycheck to help fund the hobby once I get on my feet down there.

If I said "ldap/quest/mydexa" you would know what i mean?

there's a good chance we work in the same building
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #88 of 176
My personal profession is Photography ( gee did my name give it away? lol ) But since that isnt enough for me to support myself relying on just that ( at least til next june
wink.gif
) I just got a job at Apple, and I couldn't be happier, it is one of the greatest places i have ever worked.

Aug 24, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #89 of 176
Well why not.

"Ethics."

For a bit of insight into what we do, check out this association that tries to figure out what I'm supposed to do for The Man. Apparently it involves copious amount of posting in headphone forums for, you know, tests and stuff.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back