Semi end game cans. He560, Lcd2 or Esp950
Dec 25, 2016 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

smy1

Headphoneus Supremus
Looking for semi end game cans that are good for edm/house vocal music, with great soundstage detailed and smooth mids. I will be buying one of those used, which one should i buy. If i go with either the he560 or lcd2 i will pair these up with the magni 2 and cayin i5

Dec 26, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #2 of 34
Well I'd personally go with the HE560. I love the mids on those however they don't have much bass so iif you'd like more bass I'd go with the LCD2. They have good mids too so it shouldn't be an issue. The biggest killer for me with the LCD2 though is that they're much too heavy for me and causes my neck to hurt within an hour.

Dec 26, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #3 of 34
Well I'd personally go with the HE560. I love the mids on those however they don't have much bass so iif you'd like more bass I'd go with the LCD2. They have good mids too so it shouldn't be an issue. The biggest killer for me with the LCD2 though is that they're much too heavy for me and causes my neck to hurt within an hour.

I dont care much about bass. I want my headphone cleanest and detailed as possible. Do you know how the he560 and the lcd2 compare?

Dec 26, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #4 of 34
I dont care much about bass. I want my headphone cleanest and detailed as possible. Do you know how the he560 and the lcd2 compare?

If you dont care about bass then scratch LCD-2s off of your list.

HE-500s and 560s mids vs LCDs is no contest IMO

Dec 26, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #5 of 34
If you dont care about bass then scratch LCD-2s off of your list.

HE-500s and 560s mids vs LCDs is no contest IMO

Does the he500s and the 560s sound similar?

Dec 26, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #6 of 34
Does the he500s and the 560s sound similar?

The 560s are supposed to be more "audiophilish" whereas the 500s are more musical AFAIK

I own the 500s,but ​I have never heard the 560s,just read comparisons.

Dec 26, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #7 of 34
The 560s are supposed to be more "audiophilish" whereas the 500s are more musical AFAIK

I own the 500s,but ​I have never heard the 560s,just read comparisons.

I really do like the musical sound signature. Would you say the he500s are end game?

Dec 26, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #8 of 34
Very subjective...for me no.

Im in the market for an HE6 at the moment,but I have no issue with spending upwards of a grand on headphones,whereas 4000.00 for the current TOTL headphones is too steep for me.

Depending upon how much I do or dont liike the HE6s could be my "end-game" headphone,but I wont know til I actually find a pair.

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #9 of 34
Very subjective...for me no.

Im in the market for an HE6 at the moment,but I have no issue with spending upwards of a grand on headphones,whereas 4000.00 for the current TOTL headphones is too steep for me.

Depending upon how much I do or dont liike the HE6s could be my "end-game" headphone,but I wont know til I actually find a pair.

How is the build quaility on the he500?

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #10 of 34
How is the build quaility on the he500?

Its heavy,seems solid enough,but i use all my headphones indoors never outdoors,never tossed into a backpack etc.....and all are treated like pieces of art so YMMV

Dec 27, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #11 of 34
Its heavy,seems solid enough,but i use all my headphones indoors never outdoors,never tossed into a backpack etc.....and all are treated like pieces of art so YMMV

Any idea on the esp950?

Dec 27, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #12 of 34
Dec 27, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #13 of 34

No idea on the HE560 or LCD2 - I've heard some other HiFiMan cans in demo before and was unimpressed with the fit, sound, etc so I've never pursued them further. LCD-2 look nice in pictures but they're very heavy (then again, so are TH-900, and I find those quite comfy, so weight can't be the only factor I'd surmise).

However, I quite enjoy my ESP/950, and think they'd be a great candidate here. The other candidate I'd throw out, from the world of dynamic cans, are the Ultrasone PRO2900. They're quite different animals, but the short version is the 2900 will be punchier, more forward, and have a very different soundstage presentation (thanks to S-LOGIC) than the 950s (which are themselves going to be unique, as they're planar radiators, just like the LCD-2 and HiFiMan cans). The 2900s are also cooler sounding, and probably have more bass impact. Comfort wise I'd say its a toss-up - the 2900s have very soft velour pads but clamp a bit more than the 950s (which are very loose fitting); neither gets annoying after prolonged wear. Both have nice accessory packages, but the 2900s will need something to plug into, while the 950s include their amplifier. I wouldn't regard the 2900s as hard to drive, but they are very revealing, so if your amp/source is noisy, has bad channel mismatch, etc they'll highlight it. The warranty on the 950s is literally better than any other warranty on any other product you are likely to buy, ever.

You can read a lot more of my thoughts on the 950s here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/618153/battle-of-the-american-titans-grado-rs-1-vs-koss-esp-950-new-and-improved-updated-2016-version (I would not suggest the RS-1 for your tastes, but then again, that's based on some generalized assumptions - personally I like the RS-1 for a lot of electronica and house as well, and think they largely fit "good imaging, smooth, good mids" but I know popular opinion isn't in their favor these days).

I wouldn't worry so much about if what you get meets someone else's quale as "end game" or "high end" - its a moving target that quickly degrades into a walking, talking True Scotsman more often than not. You'll have to decide for yourself how much is too much or not enough, and what sounds good to you, and ultimately that's all that matters because end of the day you have to listen to it, live with it, etc; not us. That doesn't mean don't ask for input, but ultimately if you find yourself happy with something, that's what matters, and who cares if someone else wants to say "well that's just mid-fi" or "well that's not 'true' high end."

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #14 of 34

HE560 is more smooth and musical sounding than clean. At that price though wouldn't you be able to get a HD800?

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #15 of 34
Hd800 are around $700, He560 goes for around $500

Users who are viewing this thread

Back