Semi-DIY Cable ( Worth it? )
Nov 15, 2018 at 11:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ExacoMvm

New Head-Fier
Hello guys, i was looking on ebay for some cheap DIY cable alternatives, since HE-4XX uses x3 3.5mm jacks, its hard to find premade cables.

So here's some parts i found for kinda OK prices:

1) These would connect to cans itself
2) And the main cable ( silver-coated copper wire+ PVC )
P.S. I bet it's not silver coated, because who would put that effort to coat it in silver and sell it for 2$ ?

Would it be upgrade or the same crap/worse as stock cable?

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #2 of 4
Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 4
You don't really know what you're getting with cable from unknown sources like these, whether the purity is accurate or if you're getting tin-plated aluminum instead of silver-plated copper. You could try it and see if you like the sound better, but were I you, I'd just spend a few more dollars and get something you know is legitimate. I'd recommend low-cost microphone cable from Belden, Canare, Mogami, etc., or surplus silver plated copper that's made by a major manufacturer.

Nov 19, 2018 at 4:00 AM Post #4 of 4
You don't really know what you're getting with cable from unknown sources like these, whether the purity is accurate or if you're getting tin-plated aluminum instead of silver-plated copper. You could try it and see if you like the sound better, but were I you, I'd just spend a few more dollars and get something you know is legitimate. I'd recommend low-cost microphone cable from Belden, Canare, Mogami, etc., or surplus silver plated copper that's made by a major manufacturer.
Well, i took these. Anyway its more for looks, i don't expect any sound change ( even slightest ), but that would be an surprise if it gets better ( i can't even tell difference between amp/dac powered wired and bluetooth from smartphone on BackBeat Pro 2 or in general difference between FiiO E10k vs my LG screen headphone out besides volume levels, so cable has no chances :D ). Just wanted to make sure that's not an downgrade and if it's not crappy cable.
Imo eBay is trusthworthy as long as the seller isn't some random guy who sold only few products. That stuff is most likely coming from chinese factories or some cable hobbyist.

Update: Found same cable on aliexpress, someone measured it and its 0.5ohm, isn't that too high? I suppose headphone cable should be something like 0.005 ohm :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back