Selling & Shipping Out of Country
Nov 6, 2009 at 4:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

bjast

New Head-Fier
Not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question, but what advise can you give about selling and shipping to someone overseas? I have a potential out of country purchaser of my headphone amp.

Thanks

Nov 6, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #3 of 13
Not all that different than shipping national, but these points should help you on the way.
* Sell to someone with a spot free feedback record.
* Payment up front.
* Ship fully insured and traceable.
* Declare with full value, unless agreed otherwise and that the buyer agree on the risk.

Happy selling!
smile.gif

Nov 6, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #5 of 13
Explain to them in DETAIL that things take longer from one country to the next in advance so that they don't complain two days later yelling at you that their package hasn't arrived yet. Made up example that I came up with just now:

Buyer: "Where the heck is my package? I paid two days ago! Things never take this long to get to me!!!@#"

me: "It is coming from Canada to the US so there may be custom delays"

Buyer: "WHAT!!!! Why is it coming from Canada and why does it take so long?!?! You are a bad man. You never told me it was coming from Canada!!#@$#$%. You are a thief!!!"

Me: "Well, you never asked me. You can't assume that everything comes from the states........."

Buyer: "You suck and are a scammer!"

You get the point. You don't want this to happen...

Nov 12, 2009 at 8:51 AM Post #7 of 13
You want to check with customs to see if there are any extra charges for shipping out of country.

Nov 12, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #8 of 13
The cheapest trackable method in most places is EMS/Express Mail International. It takes about 3-5 days and has to be signed for. Make sure you wrap up the amp well. Though usually not, assume that the people who handle it will drop it and the box might get punctured. It's a good idea never to throw away good product packaging in case you have to sell an item in the future for this reason.

Sending stuff overseas isn't a big deal though. For me at least, it's no more hassle at the post office than any other type of mail other than having to fill out more information, including the receiver's phone number, which you'll need.

Nov 12, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You want to check with customs to see if there are any extra charges for shipping out of country.

That is all new to me...
I though customs only charge for import not export. Perhaps Norway is just different?
confused_face_2.gif

Nov 12, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #10 of 13
Make sure you get all of the information needed for the customs form. The first time I shipped something overseas, I had the box sealed when I went to the post office. A copy if the customs form had to be in the box and I needed the buyer's phone number on the form.

I've used USPS priority mail with insurance. The only problem with it is that you can't track delivery in every country. I shipped to Taiwan and USPS didn't offer tracking.

From what I've read, don't use UPS because they charge hefty brokerage fees for getting the package though customs.

Nov 12, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #11 of 13
Yeah, some shipping carriers will charge some nasty fees, so it's always good to read their policies before blindly shipping.

Nov 13, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #12 of 13
I have had better experiences shipping out of CONUS than within it. One customer in Singapore even sent me over $300 IN CASH in the mail. Gutsy. It also seems, if memory serves, that all the badly packed gear that arrived DOA was shipped from within CONUS.
frown.gif
mad.gif

Nov 14, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #13 of 13
I only sell overseas if the buyer first agrees to:

1. Selects the carrier they wish to use and pays the difference. I usually use US Postal Service but they would have to approve of said option.
2. Pays for insurance and tracking
3. Assumes the responsibility for damage or loss. I will assist in preparing the forms but I will not refund the money.
4. Responsible for any import duty or fees.
5. If paying with PayPal pays their fees or they can pay as a gift but doing so loose the PayPal protection.

I will in turn double box the item and will provide the tracking number to the buyer the day I ship. This all came about from bad experiences I had, however lately I have had some great transactions with overseas members.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back