Sellers remorse on high end equipment
May 29, 2011 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

johnnylexus

500+ Head-Fier
Has anybody on here sold a fantastic piece of gear and then later regretted it?  I have listed my Cary 300SEI tube amp for sale because I really need the money towards our new house, but somehow I know I am going to kick myself sometime after it is done.  I had a really nice Ayre CD player and some Sony CD3000's that I wish I hadn't sold, but it doesn't haunt me too much.  Oh, to be rich would be sweet.

May 29, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #2 of 31
Just remember that most stuff is replaceable in the future. Look at what your going to get not what you lose. I only miss my 1979 Gibson Les Paul guitar. So, yes some stuff has a weird  way of bothering you for selling it.

May 29, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #3 of 31
Any audio equipment is replaceable. There are some that goes up in monetary value as time passes but those are rare and far in between. I'm sure you can buy those equipment again in the used market.

May 30, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #4 of 31
Don't worry about it too much. I've sold stuff over the years and found that I didn't miss it too much.

And there's such a variety of great audio gear that you can find something else that's excellent.

A house is a great investment, too. I'm thinking about unloading some stuff for one, too.

May 31, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #6 of 31
Yes and no. Within the last few years I've sold many nice headphones including the R10, L3000, HE60, O2MKII, and AKG K1000 (still have the Kenwood K1000 though). At times I do miss some of them, specifically the R10. But then again if I hand't sold them I wouldn't have been able to afford the other gear that I went on to try. 

As Uncle Erik said, there is plenty of good stuff out there to try. If I was just planning to settle down and have one system forever then I might go back to the R10 and be done with it. But at this point in my life I'm having too much fun trying different stuff. 

Jun 1, 2011 at 4:28 AM Post #8 of 31
you can always rebuy. i have owned the K701 3 times.

that is so funny

Jun 4, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #11 of 31
I sold some lovely gear to pay for rent and groceries a while ago. I was desperate at the time without a job. Although I didn't want to sell it, the stax phones and amp has been enjoyed by a few different owners since then on this and other forums, so it helps to think that other people have really enjoyed it and gained experiences of their own.

Sometime later I considered asking my dad for a loan to buy a piece of audio gear that was on special but still out of my price range. I spent some time sitting and I wrote down everything for and against it, the consequences for him and me. When I felt I had finished it was clear that I should wait and not ask. It helped me get beyond my emotional pulls and it was probably the best thing I could have done.

Jun 4, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #12 of 31
Yikes, taking a loan for headphone gear? You did the right thing...

Quote:
I sold some lovely gear to pay for rent and groceries a while ago. I was desperate at the time without a job. Although I didn't want to sell it, the stax phones and amp has been enjoyed by a few different owners since then on this and other forums, so it helps to think that other people have really enjoyed it and gained experiences of their own.

Sometime later I considered asking my dad for a loan to buy a piece of audio gear that was on special but still out of my price range. I spent some time sitting and I wrote down everything for and against it, the consequences for him and me. When I felt I had finished it was clear that I should wait and not ask. It helped me get beyond my emotional pulls and it was probably the best thing I could have done.

Jun 6, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #13 of 31
If you are serious enough about a hobby (/obsession), you will take a second job to pay for it. I knew a guy who spent all week working on his dad's tomato farm in the blistering Queensland heat, and weekends working on other people's farms, to finance his obsession. If you want something badly enough, you'll find a way - fortunately for me, laziness is also a powerful motivator.

Jun 6, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #14 of 31
I know a great way to make some decent money, easy.  I got two words for you - SPERM DONATION!

not as if I do it myself, but I did look up how much it pays: 60-70 USD per sample
wink_face.gif

Jun 26, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #15 of 31

Quote:
I know a great way to make some decent money, easy.  I got two words for you - SPERM DONATION!

not as if I do it myself, but I did look up how much it pays: 60-70 USD per sample
wink_face.gif

There is nothing wrong even you have done it a few times....just make sure to clean your hands before reaching for the cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back