Sell my headphones?
Jan 10, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #31 of 122
Sell them all and use them to buy Grado.
wink.gif

But seriously, I voted sell them but I changed my mind. If I had spent so much time and money into building up such an impressive collection of anything I wouldn't sell them. You can always find more storage space and as you get older I imagine you will be making more money and can afford both hobbies.

Jan 10, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #32 of 122
I also like AKG, but owning 3 or 4 dozens of old AKGs is a bit exagerated IMO...

...well, still better than the same amount of vintage sennheisers...

Jan 10, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #33 of 122
Sell one a month. It slowly thins the 'herd', less chance of regrets. Then after a couple of months you decide you still want to keep your collection, you're only out a couple phones.

Jan 10, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #37 of 122
It seems to me that there are three good options:

1. Keep them all, make it pay if necessary by keeping on collecting and selling part of the surplus. Keep a nice reserve on hand for rebuilding/modding phones for others as a little home industry. I think a lot of people would pay to have you sort their Sextett/K340/other old AKG for them, and do recables.

2. Keep one of each as a representative collection.

3. Narrow to a handful of the best, maybe two handfuls, and put your collecting days behind you, at least for the moment.

Option 1 would be the best money, I bet, though only over time and it would require a decent amount of effort. Three makes the most sense, which of course makes it an unappealing option.

Jan 10, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #38 of 122
I say you should keep one of each AKG, sell everything else, and buy a real amp.
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #39 of 122
Hrm... at this point I'm really unsure of how I want to proceed. When I started this thread I was pretty ready to go ahead and thin down to just a few, and was hoping for a unanimous "you're bonkers, nobody needs that many phones" response like I've gotten in the past. Right now the collection is pretty close to a "done" state for the ones I want in it... I just need a new headband for my K260, finish putting my K270HC back together, and still need to find some better original-style pads for my K500. Maybe this weekend I'll go meditate a bit, then give it some serious thought on which path I should choose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fungi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you make a chart of the total amount of money you could make from selling them, I bet that'd sway you back in that direction.

Actually it would be hard to sell most of them for a good price I think, because of how unknown many of them are.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vandread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you have a same model more than 1? If the answer is yes, sell it. And let me know.......... maybe some sextett?

I've already sold most of my duplicates. I still have several sextetts though, including one I haven't even taken out of the original box yet, but I don't really want to sell those (except to friends).

Quote:

Originally Posted by jellojoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dibs on the neon AKG sign!

I've already worn out the bulb in it (I stole it from a music shop so it was already used) and I need to figure out how to take it apart so I can get a new fluorescent bulb for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ask AKG to endorse you for an AKG museum, than collect ticket money to expend your collection!
biggrin.gif

I would only agree to this if I could get my hands on some of the pieces in their own historical collection, like that Russian space station headphone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also like AKG, but owning 3 or 4 dozens of old AKGs is a bit exagerated IMO...

...well, still better than the same amount of vintage sennheisers...

Well of course, since Sennheiser didn't make enough good headphones to fill a collection like that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems to me that there are three good options:

1. Keep them all, make it pay if necessary by keeping on collecting and selling part of the surplus. Keep a nice reserve on hand for rebuilding/modding phones for others as a little home industry. I think a lot of people would pay to have you sort their Sextett/K340/other old AKG for them, and do recables.

2. Keep one of each as a representative collection.

3. Narrow to a handful of the best, maybe two handfuls, and put your collecting days behind you, at least for the moment.

Option 1 would be the best money, I bet, though only over time and it would require a decent amount of effort. Three makes the most sense, which of course makes it an unappealing option.

I've been mostly following option 1 so far, but it mostly just reduces the amount I lose rather than making any kind of profit. Since I'll go through several pairs of a given rare headphone, just to find a certain part from a certain production batch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say you should keep one of each AKG, sell everything else, and buy a real amp.
biggrin.gif

I'm building a nice custom amp, but I'll still use my cute little AKG amp all the time just to spite you for always making fun of it.
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #40 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Duggeh, at the risk of this being a seriously daft question, what is a headphone "console"?
confused.gif

No such elephant. Pretty sure he was just talking a collection of video game consoles. Not headphone consoles
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #41 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No such elephant. Pretty sure he was just talking a collection of video game consoles. Not headphone consoles
smily_headphones1.gif

I've gotta say. Looks like several 'repeats' (headphones of the same model) in that collection. Can you please explain why you would keep more than one of the same headphone? From what I can see, looks like you could cut 3/4 of the collection by ditching repeats. Keeping them so you have unbroken in ones and well worn in ones? Done different mods to each? Even if they are rare, don't you only need one working model?

There is only one of each headphone in the ones hanging up. The closest to a "repeat" would be the three K240 Sextetts, but each one is from a different production era and have different parts inside them and sound different.

Jan 11, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #43 of 122
hi Sorry Fitz, I misread and edited but not before u posted haha

If they're actually different, then cool. You must have good ears and source/amp to tell same model apart with different parts! (unless they were drastic changes)

Jan 11, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #44 of 122
I'm might not post a ton, but I have read a lot of your posts Fitz. I think you would have seller's remorse if you sold all of you AKG's.

If you are serious about the music production thing, I recommend keeping a few of varied "sounds", selling the rest and buying some very analytical monitors (Yamaha NS10s are well liked in studios, because if you can make it sound good on those...), as well as a set of crappy headphones and speakers. When making music it's best to be able to make it sound good on an array of setups IMO.

Jan 11, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #45 of 122
Make a rave review once a week on one of the HPs you want to sell. This will inflate the price on it and you can then sell it for more on ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back