Sell my Beats for Audio Technical M50S?
Feb 27, 2012 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

RamboRab

New Head-Fier
Hi. I'm new so go easy on me! :)

I own a set of Monster Beats Studio Headphones. I got them half price through my work so I only paid £175 when they first came out. 

I would like something that is an upgrade on sound quality. Mainly the mid and high end. 

I do listen to a lot off drum & bass, electro, dub step etc so I would like to have headphones with good, deep bass too. 

I can get the Audio Technica M50S for £133. Are they best for me or can anyone recommend anything better? The money from selling my Beats would pay for the new headphones but I am prepared to pay extra if needed. 

I mainly listen to Apple Lossless on my iPhone but I also have a Roland electric drum kit that I use headphones with too. 

Thanks folks!

Feb 27, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #2 of 33
Don't feel bad for owning Beats; they might be the best thing for you and that's what counts, especially if you got a bargain since their price is one of the big issue with these.

I believe that you could easily find some place to audition the M-50 before buying; I never had these so I can't talk about my own experience but I would strongly suggest going out and listen to them first. Coming from Beats, many headphones might sound a bit "boring".

Then, listen to what others have to say here !

Only then, sell your headphones for something else.

Feb 27, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #3 of 33
Is portability a major concern?  I'd highly recommend checking out the V-Moda M-80...I believe they're having a worldwide shipping discount event right now or something, I don't remember the specifics though...

Feb 27, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #4 of 33
At that price I wouldn't recommend the m50s...
My friend has them and they're nothing super special.
I enjoyed my B&W P5 much more than the M50s and with the current price hike in the m50s and the depreciation in the P5s, the price gap is starting to close.

Feb 27, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #6 of 33
If you don't want to lose the bass impact but want to improve the mids and highs, I suggest taking a look at the HFi-580's. These have very impressive bass but it doesn't drown out the other frequencies. If you want an even clearer sound but less bass, check out the 780's.

Hope this helps!

Feb 27, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #8 of 33
M50s are so overrated, at least give them a try first, go with something better. I'd say senn HD25, but whatever you chose, try to listen to it first.

How do you feel about In Ears? TF10 are great for that music you described, at least I like them for that.

Feb 27, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #9 of 33
Well...do you prefer straight cable or coiled cable?  Its that simple 
cool.gif

Feb 28, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #13 of 33
I own the M50s which are the straight cabled versions. I wish i would have bought the coiled version because the straight cabled version is extremely long.

I have compared my M50's to my buddies Beats, and the sound quality over the beats is definitely better.

Feb 28, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #14 of 33

I own the M50s which are the straight cabled versions. I wish i would have bought the coiled version because the straight cabled version is extremely long.

I have compared my M50's to my buddies Beats, and the sound quality over the beats is definitely better.

Thanks for the advice. I'm very tempted to get the M50 coiled version now. I suppose if I really don't like them I can sell them at a minimum loss.

How was the bass compared to the beats? I listen to all types of music but I like my bass, especially for drum & bass, dubstep etc. I would also like something that is an improvement on the mids and highs.

Thanks

Feb 28, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #15 of 33
M50 are too pricey over there to consider them a good value. I believe the local rebranding of the fa003 was called lindy premium headphones also goldring dr150 if you don't mind nonisolating headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back